The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2019, 04:56 PM   #3251
MiraclePieCo

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

I chickened out on using bedliner on my running boards and just painted them instead. I still have nightmares of undercoating my Model A fenders; after I was finished I didn't like it and it was nearly impossible to remove! Paint isn't such a big committal and is easily touched up if necessary.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 05-24-2019 at 05:07 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:03 PM   #3252
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I chickened out on using bedliner on my running boards and just painted them instead. I still have nightmares of undercoating my Model A fenders; after I was finished I didn't like it and it was nearly impossible to remove! Paint isn't such a big committal and is easily touched up if necessary.
You might consider some of this stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VViViD-Clea...item3b07239c8e
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:48 AM   #3253
idbeast

So I started out like this, then I got the fuel lines bent and fastened down, the go the fuel lines made, then got the battery box installed.
Then the glass guy's showed up because the windshield gasket was installed upside down, they came with a crew of 5 people and fixed it 20 minutes!
Then I put the new battery in and the bottom was to big, So I cut the side hold downs off. I was happy with the fit, so I grabbed the painted battery hold down, only to find out the battery has recessed posts so it won't work...

I figured out I can just take a 1 inch wide piece of spring steel I have and drill a hole in each end then powder coat it Black and all will be good!
Attached Images

idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:51 AM   #3254
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
You might consider some of this stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VViViD-Clea...item3b07239c8e
ooooh I bought some!
Old 05-25-2019, 01:07 AM   #3255
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I got somewhere today with the hood. Been thinking about it and thinking about it and starring at it and starring at it and talking about it and talking about it! Today I walked out there and cut that sucker in half and removed the 2" strip. I got something happening!

Brian
Brian: I thought you might be interested in this truck currently for sale on Ebay. Note the line where they sectioned the hood, almost identical to yours.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2019, 01:21 AM   #3256
MARTINSR

Quote:
Brian: I thought you might be interested in this truck currently for sale on Ebay. Note the line where they sectioned the hood, almost identical to yours.
WOW! Very cool, I just found it on ebay. That sucker is a good start but has a LOT of work to do! The hood is sectioned similar to what I am planning, interesting. You can see that hood isn't meeting back with the cowl, it really is very close to what I am doing. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1948-Chevro...EAAOSwVcBc59VK

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 01:41 AM   #3257
MARTINSR

I got out there for my five minutes after some other projects and a six mile evening walk. I have been sorting out in my head what to do here. I need to start with rear brace that goes from hinge to hinge. It's funny because it's really tied together with the cutting of the skin and kinda needs to all be done at once! Not do one then the other, one half then the other, nothing like that, it needs to be done all at one time!

This rear brace has to be cut properly and this is kinda challenging, more than the skin to tell you the truth. I cut this one on the right side 2.5 inches, done deal.....or so I thought. All I can think is that the arch of the hinge changes everything, because you can see that it isn't even close to fitting, I need to add a half inch or so, and it's not even, a half inch average, like a quarter on the rear of it and three quarters at the front! So that's where I will start go get that right then the other side then get back to the skin.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 PM   #3258
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
WOW! Very cool, I just found it on ebay. That sucker is a good start but has a LOT of work to do! The hood is sectioned similar to what I am planning, interesting. You can see that hood isn't meeting back with the cowl, it really is very close to what I am doing. [/url]

Brian
It's only logical that as the upper hood comes forward to meet the lower hood it would leave a gap at the cowl.

Note the pie cuts to match the upper and lower hood curvatures:
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 PM   #3259
DransportGarage

Got the headliner in and lined up with the visor screw holes. Then I test-fit the upper back panel. All fit pretty well, but it's just hangin' there. That little bit of upholstery work moved the wife from ignoring the project to saying she wants to DRIVE it! As Martin would say, WOO HOO !!!

Then, when I came to installing the rear window I got a little surprise. I had bought the glass at a swap meet for an unbelievable $15 two years ago, wrapped in what looked like the original paper. Well, the corner is chipped out, and the chip isn't in the paper. The seller knew it was broken and palmed it off on me. So, I ordered a new one from Auto City Classic today and am held up a week on this part of the project.

Literally, two steps forward, one step back.
Attached Images

Old 05-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #3260
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbeast View Post
Then the glass guy's showed up because the windshield gasket was installed upside down, they came with a crew of 5 people and fixed it 20 minutes!
Glad to hear they took care of you!
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:27 AM   #3261
MARTINSR

Had a family BBQ day, didn't do a bit of work but I spent the 5 minutes buying some new window glass frames for the doors. It kinda sucks as I chopped mine already but they were SO rusted, really badly eroded and un-chromable. I have been looking for another pair and some came along and I grabbed them. So I got something done.

Brian

Old 05-26-2019, 02:33 AM   #3262
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Got the headliner in and lined up with the visor screw holes. Then I test-fit the upper back panel. All fit pretty well, but it's just hangin' there. That little bit of upholstery work moved the wife from ignoring the project to saying she wants to DRIVE it! As Martin would say, WOO HOO !!!
Wow, that's awesome. Glad the wife's on board. Where did you get those cool flamed panels?
Old 05-26-2019, 08:16 AM   #3263
DransportGarage

Quote:
Wow, that's awesome. Glad the wife's on board. Where did you get those cool flamed panels?
Thanks for the nice words.

I looked at a bunch of flames on cars and decided what I wanted mine to look like, then drew them on plain paper. Light-duty cardboard would have been better. I'm a bad artist, so I spent more time behind the eraser than I did the pencil. I then traced the pattern onto 1/4" high-density closed cell foam (bought on Ebay):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Densit...bcP6QvzUu__omQ

...then cut all the edges at a 45-degree angle with a bare single-edge razor blade. That part is easier than it seems. The stuff cuts like butter. I glued the flames to the fiberglass backer board I had laid up, then upholstered the whole panel starting at the center and working toward the sides. (If you try this, I'll warn you that the vinyl doesn't want to behave near the corners of the board.)

Actually, the wife bought the truck nine years ago (I hate to admit how long I've been working on this beast.), on a $2500 asking price. She had told the poor guy she had to leave, but that she would write a check for $1500. He didn't know how to hit that curve ball - coming from a lady I suppose - so he just said "OK". She had him deliver it for free. I've been in the garage since 2011 (off and on, but this year's the year!).
Attached Images

Last edited by DransportGarage; 05-26-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:09 AM   #3264
MARTINSR

Quote:
Thanks for the nice words.

I looked at a bunch of flames on cars and decided what I wanted mine to look like, then drew them on plain paper. Light-duty cardboard would have been better. I'm a bad artist, so I spent more time behind the eraser than I did the pencil. I then traced the pattern onto 1/4" high-density closed cell foam (bought on Ebay):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Densit...bcP6QvzUu__omQ

...then cut all the edges at a 45-degree angle with a bare single-edge razor blade. That part is easier than it seems. The stuff cuts like butter. I glued the flames to the fiberglass backer board I had laid up, then upholstered the whole panel starting at the center and working toward the sides. (If you try this, I'll warn you that the vinyl doesn't want to behave near the corners of the board.)

Actually, the wife bought the truck nine years ago (I hate to admit how long I've been working on this beast.), on a $2500 asking price. She had told the poor guy she had to leave, but that she would write a check for $1500. He didn't know how to hit that curve ball - coming from a lady I suppose - so he just said "OK". She had him deliver it for free. I've been in the garage since 2011 (off and on, but this year's the year!).
Right on!

Brian

Old 05-27-2019, 12:59 PM   #3265
Black_Sheep

The wife and I went for a nice cruise...
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2019, 01:35 PM   #3266
MARTINSR

Can't wait to do that!

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 05-27-2019 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:31 PM   #3267
shibbby911

Finally got my brakes and spindles the other day so I could put the temp wheels on with the new chassis
Attached Images

shibbby911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #3268
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbby911 View Post
Finally got my brakes and spindles the other day so I could put the temp wheels on with the new chassis
In the weeds!
Old 05-27-2019, 08:58 PM   #3269
idbeast

I got the first electrical thing working on the old girl, got the intermittent wipers working!
Next was to install the windshield trim with the auto light sensor and 2 GPS antennas. Then I put the 9" touch screen Navigation stereo in, but not hooked up.
Next I put in the heater controls.
Then I put in the speedo cluster.
Next was to get the steering column and intermediate shaft.
Then decided to take a couple pictures...
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2019, 10:57 PM   #3270
Black_Sheep

Lookin' really good Jim
Old 05-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #3271
idbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Lookin' really good Jim
Thanks Mark! I used a couple of your ideas!

Jim W.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #3272
MARTINSR

I wasn't going to do anything, spent the day working on the Rambler, getting it ready to sell. Swapped out some parts that go to my truck that I just had used in it like the Bermuda Bell and a unique toggle switch from when I bought my truck that I MUST keep. Cleaned the trunk out, you get the idea.

Went out to dinner with my wife and came home at 9:30 thinking I HAD TO get out there. So I spent some time on the rear hood brace. OMG this is complex, the geometry changes if you move it a quarter inch. So it is VERY different than I had planned simply removing that 2.5 inch, oh yeah baby, VERY different. So, I set it up and tacked the lower piece in place and then put the hood top in on to see how it worked out and had it all fit up there and then looked in to see that the lower part of the brace was a friggin quarter inch away from the bottom of the hood! CRAP

I pulled it apart and cut the welds then put it back in there and put the hood top on. Clamped it all in place and then had to climb in under the truck up into the eng compartment to tack those pieces together. I got it apart and lifted the lower hood up and down a bit and it looks like it will do the job.

Got in at 10:15, ok, I am done, I feel good though, it's rolling along.

Brian
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2019, 02:30 AM   #3273
MiraclePieCo

Today I yanked out my seats and took them to the upholsterer. I hope the Speedway reproduction seat covers I supplied him fit well and I hope it's not too expensive. He's a long time friend who always treats me right so I trust him to give me the best deal possible. They're originally late '60s GM seats and I dig the low-back retro look so I'm sticking with them. While they're out I'll be quickly making patterns for carpeting and door panels.
Attached Images

Old 05-28-2019, 09:40 AM   #3274
MARTINSR

I agree with you those seats are perfect for that truck. I had similar ones in my truck back when I first started driving it in 77.

Brian

Old 05-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #3275
Marty68

Quote:
Good choice. If leaving it black like that it can be touched up. Can adhesive strips for traction be applied? I don't use mine. Wife does
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote