The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #76
kdad

Re: 1966 C-10 build

What a week... This whole floor/ Rocker panel replacement is kicking my ass. So I started out by removing the fender and door on the passenger side of the truck. (The really bad side) The gaps were pretty bad all around but I figured its best to just go ahead and weld in some bracing to hold the cab together. I knew the door did not fit the opening perfectly or should I say "not even close" But I figured I couldn't do any worse than what I started with. The issues I'm having now is the sheetmetal I purchased to replace the rusted out pieces really doesn't fit and is more like a suggestion to fit. Now that I have the floor patched and have been working on the rocker I am seeing that the door gaps are just as bad as they were previously. Funny part is the door looks worse now that I have a straight rocker mocked up next to it. LOL Im thinking of just moving forward now and accepting the fact that if I want perfection I will need to take the entire cab off and start at square one.... I have spent the better part of 3 hours looking at pictures on here for door gap reference and wow they run from not bad to horrible. Guess I should be thankful that I have at least 3 sides straight.. BTW these replacement sheet metal parts should come with a notice explaining they just look like a factory part and will need major modifications to fit... RANT OVER>>>>>>> back to the grinder and welder.

She may not be the prom queen but at least she puts out..
kdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #77
Johns 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdad View Post
What a week... This whole floor/ Rocker panel replacement is kicking my ass. So I started out by removing the fender and door on the passenger side of the truck. (The really bad side) The gaps were pretty bad all around but I figured its best to just go ahead and weld in some bracing to hold the cab together. I knew the door did not fit the opening perfectly or should I say "not even close" But I figured I couldn't do any worse than what I started with. The issues I'm having now is the sheetmetal I purchased to replace the rusted out pieces really doesn't fit and is more like a suggestion to fit. Now that I have the floor patched and have been working on the rocker I am seeing that the door gaps are just as bad as they were previously. Funny part is the door looks worse now that I have a straight rocker mocked up next to it. LOL Im thinking of just moving forward now and accepting the fact that if I want perfection I will need to take the entire cab off and start at square one.... I have spent the better part of 3 hours looking at pictures on here for door gap reference and wow they run from not bad to horrible. Guess I should be thankful that I have at least 3 sides straight.. BTW these replacement sheet metal parts should come with a notice explaining they just look like a factory part and will need major modifications to fit... RANT OVER>>>>>>> back to the grinder and welder.

Been there and done that......Im lucky that I was able to find some NOS Rockers and Doors that really fit pretty good. You do great work and Im sure you will get it looking like you want.
2019 GMC AT4
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 07:08 PM   #78
kdad

Thanks John, Been questioning the whole idea of trying to fix this rust bucket from the get go but then I see your build and others and realize we need to save these ol' trucks or they will be gone forever.

BTW I picked up the seat from the upholstery shop... They confirmed what I was thinking. The panel on the seat back was made too short. (reason for the small tear when I tried to be an upholsterer) Should have just had them make one from scratch. Lesson learned. most of these companies that supply us with restoration parts are made over seas and have very little quality control.... now I need to get these floors done so I can eventually sit on this thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
Been there and done that......Im lucky that I was able to find some NOS Rockers and Doors that really fit pretty good. You do great work and Im sure you will get it looking like you want.

Old 01-27-2019, 08:22 PM   #79
Johns 66

Quote:
Thanks John, Been questioning the whole idea of trying to fix this rust bucket from the get go but then I see your build and others and realize we need to save these ol' trucks or they will be gone forever.

BTW I picked up the seat from the upholstery shop... They confirmed what I was thinking. The panel on the seat back was made too short. (reason for the small tear when I tried to be an upholsterer) Should have just had them make one from scratch. Lesson learned. most of these companies that supply us with restoration parts are made over seas and have very little quality control
I completely understand. I was so disheartened when I found the rust on mine...I thought I had checked well enough but alas Swiss Cheese for me. In some ways you feel deceived by the PO....I thought I had bought a quality predominately rust free truck..WRONGO………

Just like when I had to have the motor rebuilt because the PO rigged it and broke a main bolt...luckily it didn't sling a rod.

BUT the good news...or at least the way I justified it to myself is that it will be done right now and I wont have to worry about it and will be able to enjoy it for many miles and since Im 50.....itll last till Im gone.

But as your correctly stated...they aint making any more of these and many folks get into these trucks and find the issues and just get rid of them...they put lipstick on a pig just to get it gone which is why you see a lot of them for sale by people who " have too many projects, don't have time ( or MONEY)" or those who just get discourage by what they see.

Your truck is coming along great and what you have done looks awesome....just try not to get discouraged and think of the time you will enjoy when she is done....Ok Dr Phil lesson is over ,,,LOL

Seriously you have a great truck with a few flaws that you are gonna get worked out.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #80
kdad

Still working on rust removal and sheetmetal replacement. Getting there slowly but surely

Old 02-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #81
Johns 66

Quote:
Still working on rust removal and sheetmetal replacement. Getting there slowly but surely
I know the feeling.....Unfortunately Im having to have mine done but its all good.....slow and steady wins the race
2019 GMC AT4
Old 02-28-2019, 06:20 PM   #82
CousinTone

Hi kdad, just caught your build. You’re making great, fast progress and it looks incredible. If you ever get anything from CPP, I live in Placentia and know they can be tough to handle. I’m literally a mile from them. I wouldn’t mind, for anyone on the forums, just reach out via PM and I can drop in on them. Just let me know what you need! Don’t mind making shipping packages to save on gouging prices to send a few items...or banging heads to get correct parts to you. Just let me know. At 6’4” and 250, I usually get what I need. LOL!

Now, I just need to remove the cover off my 64 and get moving. It’s been sitting for 3 years with life getting in the way...but still collecting all the parts needed, including some great upgrade plates, both PS and Brake Booster adapters from CaptianFab and rideblue00 tach mount along with couple trips to pull your part yards. With life issues mostly clear except the ever present honey-do list, I’ve been motivated by your posts and will get up and get moving...the honey do list can sit for a while. I also just ordered the blaster attachment you posted, getting here Saturday! Keep it up, it a great thread. Tony
CousinTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #83
kdad

Thanks Tony I will keep that in mind. You just cant go wrong with the Captains brackets for sure. Not sure if you have a build thread or not but would love to follow along.

Old 03-08-2019, 02:13 AM   #84
Mack B

I just read through from the beginning. I like what you are doing here. Good work!
Mack B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 12:06 PM   #85
kdad

Thanks Mack... More updates coming soon.

Old 03-22-2019, 01:37 PM   #86
straight6chevyguy

Just finished reading this tread today. Good work thus far.
BTW 8 tracks are cool even though most people my age don't know what they are. LOL
2002 Chevy s10 4.3L auto 4x4
1971 mercury monterey wagon 400 auto
To many projects!
straight6chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 PM   #87
kdad

Been fairly busy over here with sheetmetal replacement. When I started this transformation I wasn't really thinking of getting too detailed with the metal work. I did want to repair and replace anything with rust in it. That meant the floors on both sides from front to rear and the rockers on both sides. Of course once I dug into it I found the cab support on the passenger rear side was toast as was the right side cab corner... UGGHH!
I also knew that I would patch all of the holes the PO used to put various sizes and styles of mirrors on this truck. Sounds easy... Well it sounded easy.

A few pics for the fun of it.
started to put pics here but they were giant size

Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #88
Johns 66

Quote:
Been fairly busy over here with sheetmetal replacement. When I started this transformation I wasn't really thinking of getting too detailed with the metal work. I did want to repair and replace anything with rust in it. That meant the floors on both sides from front to rear and the rockers on both sides. Of course once I dug into it I found the cab support on the passenger rear side was toast as was the right side cab corner... UGGHH!
I also knew that I would patch all of the holes the PO used to put various sizes and styles of mirrors on this truck. Sounds easy... Well it sounded easy.

A few pics for the fun of it.
started to put pics here but they were giant size
So funny...Mine started because I was going to replace a leaking rear main seal.....I had no idea I would go way down the rabbit hole that I have. Looking forward to seeing your progress Scott.
2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 AM   #89
kdad

Sheetmetal pics

Passenger side was a challenge as it was eaten up pretty good

The dreaded rockers that need some serious massaging to fit

No too bad for an old guy

Last edited by kdad; 04-24-2019 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:52 AM   #90
kdad

Doors on and doors off and doors back on and doors off and doors back on.. When you question why it takes so much time to repair sheetmetal its all the measuring and fitting and checking over and over as the process goes on.. Checking the gaps here

Old 04-24-2019, 01:03 AM   #91
kdad

So the thought is to leave the exterior with its patina (rust holes in doors and faded out silver paint with sun bleached spots) paint the upper cab white and the stripe inside the trims.
On the interior I went with as much new or rebuilt as possible to give the wife her comfort all the while maintaining that "Ol skool" look.. hence the name of the truck... "Ol Skool"

passenger door coming along nicely

Dam kick panels needed replaced..

Here was a nice puzzle

Old 04-24-2019, 01:23 AM   #92
kdad

I used self drilling screws to hold the panels while I test fit and got ready to weld

I used tape to get a straight line around the cab corner where I was getting ready to cut

Of course my cut looked like I had 6 martinis... LOL

Cleaned up pretty good and welding we go

12 hours of cutting grinding and welding later..

Old 04-24-2019, 01:33 AM   #93
Lokin4AReason

Looking good ....
Old 04-24-2019, 01:35 AM   #94
kdad

The wife walks in and says wow you got allot done...
Im feeling all proud and looking ;like a king basking in the light of my own brilliance...
Then she says.... "hey I thought you were gonna put that fuel tank in the back" I'm thinking … Really? So she goes on a tangent about how since its all torn down that I might as well just take the tank out and mount a new one in the rear. I mean how hard could it be she says?????? I am thinking the whole time doesn't she have a nail appointment or a trip to the salon to get to? So I end up taking the tank out and thus we have another hole to weld up.

Poor old tank

I got my way when I insisted we go to an OG mirror painted to match all the white on the cab.

Gotta get back to it the Boss (Wifee) wants this thing running asap with no excuses from me... I still love my truck and the dog.. always love that dog.. the wife I'm just tolerating at this point. She adds any more items to my list and we are gonna have issues.. LOL

Old 04-24-2019, 01:37 AM   #95
Lokin4AReason

How big of a diametter hole did you cut for the exhaust thru the cross member ?
Old 04-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #96
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns 66 View Post
So funny...Mine started because I was going to replace a leaking rear main seal.....I had no idea I would go way down the rabbit hole that I have. Looking forward to seeing your progress Scott.

Its getting there John. Using yours as motivation my friend. Thanks for checking in and keeping me going.

Old 04-24-2019, 01:38 AM   #97
kdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokin4AReason View Post
How big of a diametter hole did you cut for the exhaust thru the cross member ?
I did a 4 inch piece of tubing

Old 04-24-2019, 04:21 PM   #98
Johns 66

Scott...your fab skills have me envying you. It looks awesome....Let me tell ya...looks better than what I paid someone to do...….

Slowly but surely...I am trying my hand at the welding part....its a SLOW SLOW Process with a BIG learning curve.....

Famous last words....How hard could it be...LOL
2019 GMC AT4
Old 04-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #99
kdad

Thanks John, You keep at it and the welding will come with practice. I tell everyone to go down to the local city college and take a course. It will shave years off the learning curve..

Old 04-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #100
kdad

Had to do a little mock up today of the seat and carpet..

So I am sitting here this afternoon looking at all the gaps and feeling pretty good about the sheetmetal/ body work is done for now when I realize I forgot to patch the darn antenna hole.. LOL Oh well.

And the beat goes on!