The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network







Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM   #1
demian5
Registered User
 
demian5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,999
Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

Hi does anyone have a picture of left and right torsion bars laid out on a flat surface? I had an issue with the 60 I'm working on and it turned out to remedy, the torsion's were twisted (indexed) differently from left to right. So i swapped sides and I can kinda get it where I want, but the adjusters are soooo low...

Are the torsion bars different left to right? I would not think a 1960 american vehicle would have a different one for each side.

If anyone one has a good used set, can you lay them out on a flat surface and confirm?

Thanks!

I'm thinking if they are not left and right and shouldn't be twisted, I may be able to get a set of non twisted ones and get the adjusters up another 1" or more.

Maybe the ones in this truck were heated up... the adjusters were all the way up and against the frame, and the shocks were the bump stops for the front end (I removed the shocks and the truck went to the ground...)


AND - Would chrysler torsion bars fit in the truck? I see Hotchkiss makes a performance set that are indexed for lowering... 41" long on Summit.
__________________
"Work hard, use your vacation days."
1970 C15 GMC Long Bed
1964 Impala SS
1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN6
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS
Instagram: C10sofOC

Last edited by demian5; 04-18-2019 at 05:11 PM.
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
MusicMan70
Senior Member
 
MusicMan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,585
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...e=2&styleid=63

I think it's POST 41 with sections from the manual on the topic of two different bars used.
__________________
MusicMan70
1961 GMC Suburban
MusicMan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #3
Angrywood
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Orange County ca
Posts: 39
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by demian5 View Post
Hi does anyone have a picture of left and right torsion bars laid out on a flat surface? I had an issue with the 60 I'm working on and it turned out to remedy, the torsion's were twisted (indexed) differently from left to right. So i swapped sides and I can kinda get it where I want, but the adjusters are soooo low...

Are the torsion bars different left to right? I would not think a 1960 american vehicle would have a different one for each side.

If anyone one has a good used set, can you lay them out on a flat surface and confirm?

Thanks!

I'm thinking if they are not left and right and shouldn't be twisted, I may be able to get a set of non twisted ones and get the adjusters up another 1" or more.

Maybe the ones in this truck were heated up... the adjusters were all the way up and against the frame, and the shocks were the bump stops for the front end (I removed the shocks and the truck went to the ground...)


AND - Would chrysler torsion bars fit in the truck? I see Hotchkiss makes a performance set that are indexed for lowering... 41" long on Summit.


What do you mean by different? As if like they were threaded differently as in one clockwise and one counter?
Angrywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #4
demian5
Registered User
 
demian5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,999
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

Still hoping someone has a picture of a good torsion bar set to see if they are different left and right.

AND can someone post up pictures of your drop and the adjusters positions so I can compare to mine.
__________________
"Work hard, use your vacation days."
1970 C15 GMC Long Bed
1964 Impala SS
1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN6
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
CANUCIT
Registered User
 
CANUCIT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: JOPLIN MO
Posts: 51
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

I have a torsion bar front end in my garage all connected , (leaning against the wall)give a better description of what you want and I will take a pic
__________________
1962 chevy short and wide

2015 z71

1967 SS Chevelle
CANUCIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
demian5
Registered User
 
demian5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,999
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANUCIT View Post
I have a torsion bar front end in my garage all connected , (leaning against the wall)give a better description of what you want and I will take a pic

Thank you!

Pull the bars out of it and set them flat on the ground next to each other and take pictures of the ends of them to show how they lay on the ground.
__________________
"Work hard, use your vacation days."
1970 C15 GMC Long Bed
1964 Impala SS
1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN6
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #7
demian5
Registered User
 
demian5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,999
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

Still looking for someone to post or send me pictures of a pair of c10 torsion bars laying on the ground side by side.

And if your truck is lowered with torsions, post a picture of the position of the adjusters so I can see that as well. Trying to figure out if my bars are twisted.
__________________
"Work hard, use your vacation days."
1970 C15 GMC Long Bed
1964 Impala SS
1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN6
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #8
MusicMan70
Senior Member
 
MusicMan70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 1,585
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

This was a pic pulled from this thread

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...on+bar+rebuild
Attached Images
 
__________________
MusicMan70
1961 GMC Suburban
MusicMan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #9
demian5
Registered User
 
demian5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Posts: 1,999
Re: Stock torsion bars different left and right sides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicMan70 View Post
This was a pic pulled from this thread

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...on+bar+rebuild
They look twisted two different directions it appears.
__________________
"Work hard, use your vacation days."
1970 C15 GMC Long Bed
1964 Impala SS
1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN6
1979 Glastron Carlson CVX 16 SS
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1997-2013 67-72chevytrucks.com