The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-03-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
Bushman66

66 Steering column questions

Working on the grinding noise in my column (no mast shifters, factory 4 spd on the floor). Got the outer column cover completely off, the only thing left in the truck is the steering shaft. My questions:

1. I'm planning to replace the rag joint, I have removed the coupler bolt, but it's not apparent how to remove the shaft or rag joint itself? It appears to be riveted together, no other bolts on the rag joint. Any suggestions?

2. My lower bearing was toast, thankfully no damage to the steering shaft, but I'm not sure how the new bearing installs? The shaft is pretty grungy, so I doubt the new bearing is going to slide over it at all, and it looks way too fragile to drive on with pipe or anything else. Does it go on from the bottom or top? If I can get the shaft out, I can wire wheel the shaft if that helps. Any help or suggestions most welcome.

Thanks!
Bushman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: 66 Steering column questions

Maybe this thread will help - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=735683
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Bushman66

Thanks Roknrod. I saw this in an earlier search. Looking at that thread, it appears that the rag joint and metal flanges can be removed from the steering box and steering shaft completely? I wont rebuild my rag joint, I'll get a new replacement unit, I assume it slides on the splines of the steering box, then the splines of the shaft slide into the upper part?

This didnt help with the lower bearing install. Is the bearing supposed to slide onto the bottom of the steering shaft, or from the top? Is the bearing supposed to slide on with finger pressure only?

Thanks!

Last edited by Bushman66; 05-04-2019 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
Bushman66

I'm trying to remove this flange from the steering shaft, as I plan to swap the entire rag joint out. Thing is on there, have tried soaking in penetrating oil, a Big hammer, CRC Freeze it spray. I don't really want to use a torch since I might be forced to reuse the joint if I can't get it off. Any ideas on how you guys have removed this before?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #5
The Rocknrod

The thread I posted has two pages that cover installing a rag joint onto the steering shaft. They cut the studs . . .
Old 05-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #6
Bushman66

Well, it appears I need a new steering shaft. What I thought was a machined step is actually severe wear grooves. Anybody have a good source for used parts? Old wrecking yards catering to our trucks have long since disappeared (at least out here in Phoenix).
Old 05-05-2019, 10:42 AM   #7
vince1

I used a collapsible shaft from a 67. It was the same length and fit in place of the 66 solid shaft. I did change to P/S at the same time. The lower bearing I changed to a brass bushing from Classic industries P/N C1003A. I remember someone telling me I could use a 67 shaft I am pretty sure he did give valid information.

If I had to do it over again I think I'd look for a complete unit from a 70's van, without the key in the column. In fact I'm going to look anyway for when the auto trans goes in so I don't have to fork out so much money for a Lokar shifter. I have no experience with this changeover yet though so just musing.
vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 11:50 AM   #8
Bushman66

Thanks Vince1, that is good info as a backup. I happened to find a guy on offer up locally that has a pretty extensive collection of 60-66 parts and he says he has a stock shaft.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Bushman66

Update: I secured a replacement shaft, and I ordered the Bronze Bushing from Classic Industries to replace the fragile lower bearing. I plan to fill the adjustment collar with grease, so the bronze bushing should stay lubed, and be less susceptible to dirt/water etc. than the lower column bearing.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:41 PM   #10
The Rocknrod

I have a steering shaft I was going to modify for power steering and aftermarket column. I first thought it was no good because one of the pins was broken off. Now then I see I can drill it and use the fasteners on the rag joint kit. Or get a collapsible shaft, which is what I will probably do anyway. It could happen.