The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
HeavyHauler

Removing ignition lock cylinder 1968 Chevy C10

I am trying to remove the ignition lock cylinder in my 1968 Chevy C10. I turned the key to accessory and inserted a paperclip into the lock cylinder hole. Then I tried turning the lock cylinder counter clockwise to remove it but it just will not come out.

I then tried spinning the chrome bezel out of the dash to try and get some leverage on the lock cylinder while holding the back of the ignition switch and I still cant get the lock cylinder to pop out.

What is the trick to getting it out?
HeavyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Removing ignition lock cylinder 1968 Chevy C10

"Spinning the bezel" is not a step in removing the lock cylinder.. Re-tighten it and leave it alone until you have removed the lock cylinder.. Turn the key to the "ACC" position.. Insert a paper clip into the hole and push in enough to depress the spring loaded pin behind the hole.. Turn the key counterclockwise and the lock cylinder should come out.. I use a large paper clip as it is less likely to slip off the pin..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 PM   #3
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyPile View Post
"Spinning the bezel" is not a step in removing the lock cylinder.. Re-tighten it and leave it alone until you have removed the lock cylinder.. Turn the key to the "ACC" position.. Insert a paper clip into the hole and push in enough to depress the spring loaded pin behind the hole.. Turn the key counterclockwise and the lock cylinder should come out.. I use a large paper clip as it is less likely to slip off the pin..
I have done exactly what you have described over and over again and it will not come out. Thats why I tried doing something different in order to try and get it out.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:15 PM   #4
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHauler View Post
I have done exactly what you have described over and over again and it will not come out. Thats why I tried doing something different in order to try and get it out.
The bezel can be loosened but not completely removed because the chrome face of the lock cylinder is larger than the opening in the bezel.. The threads on the bezel and the switch housing are very fine and are easily stripped..

The procedure I outlined above is the ONLY way, without damaging something, to remove the cylinder.. When you feel the pin depress and release, retract the paper clip ever so slightly.. Sometimes the paperclip will enter the grove that the pin "rides" in, thus preventing the cylinder from rotating enough to come out.. Use patience and don't add any additional steps to the procedure.. You're dealing with a very old assembly, so work gently.. It will come apart.. Some person in the past may have put some grease or oil in there and gummed up the works..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:35 PM   #5
Furno68C20

Quote:
The bezel can be loosened but not completely removed because the chrome face of the lock cylinder is larger than the opening in the bezel.. The threads on the bezel and the switch housing are very fine and are easily stripped..

The procedure I outlined above is the ONLY way, without damaging something, to remove the cylinder.. When you feel the pin depress and release, retract the paper clip ever so slightly.. Sometimes the paperclip will enter the grove that the pin "rides" in, thus preventing the cylinder from rotating enough to come out.. Use patience and don't add any additional steps to the procedure.. You're dealing with a very old assembly, so work gently.. It will come apart.. Some person in the past may have put some grease or oil in there and gummed up the works..
Rusty is right. I had a hard time getting mine out and it’s frustrating but just gently work the paper clip and key and it will come out. I remember trying to take mine out and I got so frustrated I just lightly pulled on the key and if cams right out. Hopefully you have the key and it stays in the cylinder unlike mine did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Furno68C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:41 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
As Rusty said that is the only way to get it out except for destructive methods. After the cylinder starts turning past the ACC position you have to remove the paper clip or it will bind in the hole. Then turn the key a little more to the left and it should come out. I have had a few that were a real pain to get out. There are two small tabs on the cylinder that have to line up with slots in the switch housing before the cylinder will slide out.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:57 PM   #7
HeavyHauler

Quote:

Yeah I only loosened the bezel to get some movement.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:59 PM   #8
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furno68C20 View Post
Rusty is right. I had a hard time getting mine out and it’s frustrating but just gently work the paper clip and key and it will come out. I remember trying to take mine out and I got so frustrated I just lightly pulled on the key and if cams right out. Hopefully you have the key and it stays in the cylinder unlike mine did.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have the key and my key always slides out when trying to pull the lock cylinder.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:17 AM   #9
old51sedan

I had the same problem with mine a few years ago. Couldn't get that sucker out, I sprayed it with PB blaster a few time one a 2-3 day period before it finally came out. I found that loosening the bezel it will not come out at all. Tighten it back up if you haven't already.
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 11:00 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I have the key and my key always slides out when trying to pull the lock cylinder.
If the key pulls out after the cylinder is turned to the position where it should slide out, try using an "O" ring pick to pull it out if you have a set.

LockDoc

-
Old 05-26-2019, 11:03 AM   #11
Wrenchbender Ret

Like Old51 I always spray some WD40 in it & it comes out pretty easily.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
HeavyHauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
If the key pulls out after the cylinder is turned to the position where it should slide out, try using an "O" ring pick to pull it out if you have a set.

LockDoc
BINGO!!!! I tightened the chrome bezel back up. Followed procedure like I did before but used O ring pick to jiggle the lock cylinder clockwise after sliding the key out then was able to pull lock cylinder out using the pick!
Old 05-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #13
HeavyHauler

Now do i put some lithium grease on the new lock cylinder before installing it?
Old 05-26-2019, 03:10 PM   #14
HeavyHauler

I got the new ignition lock cylinder installed and it fired right up. Thanks everybody! This is a great board!
Old 05-29-2019, 11:37 PM   #15
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
I got the new ignition lock cylinder installed and it fired right up. Thanks everybody! This is a great board!

Good deal! Glad you got it fixed.

LockDoc

-