The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #51
SCOTI

Re: better ride quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestb View Post
I’m sorry if I offended you I didn’t mean to be contrary. While I agree that he did not ask enough questions I don’t feel that he was just trying to sell me on a product. I only say that because I was asking him which one of their products he recommended. Maybe I should have asked more questions. I probably would not have had the answers he needed anyway. I tried calling cpp and their automated system only gave me the option to ask installation questions. I probably should have chosen that option but instead I hung up
You didn't offend me @ all. When typed, it doesn't read the same as saying it in person I guess. I was sort-of ranting on technical help that some of these aftermarket places offer.

No worries. Sometimes you have to keep trying things to solve a mechanical/technical issue. Sometimes its easy. If you keep trying, I'll keep trying to help.

😎
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 12:31 AM   #52
Damien

Have you determined if the harshness is coming from the front or rear or both? If your feeling harshness in the steering wheel you should work on the front suspension. If you can feel it through the seat you want to take a look at the rear suspension.

Your shock lengths look fine based on your measurements for both the front and rear. On my '83 I was seeing about 1" of compression travel in the front and about 2" to 2 1/2" in the rear with stock springs.

I don't have part numbers, but I have seen CPP front springs at about 1,100 lbs./in. With stock take out springs range from 650 to 800 lbs./in. The gas charged shocks will also add some spring rate to the suspension.

Once you have an idea if the harshness is coming from the front or rear, I would remove the shocks from that end of the truck and test drive. If the ride quality improves you need different shocks. If it stays the same you should look into different springs. I would start in the rear based on the information in your previous posts.
Old 06-24-2020, 01:33 AM   #53
forestb

Thank for your suggestions. It will be a little while before I can do any testing.
forestb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:35 AM   #54
forestb

I am currently trying to get over COVID 19
Old 06-24-2020, 02:12 AM   #55
gmc684x4

Wish you a speedy recovery
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #56
SCOTI

Do take care. I've been impacted by the virus (family member & a friend) & know it is no joke despite the declaration "It's just a virus".
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 09-05-2020, 12:15 PM   #57
forestb

I was thinking. Cpp sells both a regular 4 inch rear drop coil and an heavy duty version. I wonder if I accidentally got the HD version.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #58
SCOTI

Quote:
I was thinking. Cpp sells both a regular 4 inch rear drop coil and an heavy duty version. I wonder if I accidentally got the HD version.
Posted via Mobile Device
Very possible. Extra weight loaded in the rear could help solve the riddle. HD spring rates typically have a harsh feel when unloaded & do much better once loaded.

My Dually's 9-leaf + overload rear set-up would beat you up. The air-bags that replaced them ride much better unloaded & are easy to adjust for a load when necessary. I know that's a coil vs leaf comparison, but more spring rate than is needed will yield a harsher ride is the point.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #59
forestb

CPP customer service is horrible. I emailed them about their spring rate twice and they never replied. I asked on Summit racing. Where you can ask a question about a product and CPP replied and he said he did not know the spring rate. What a joke. They don’t know the spring rate of their own products.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-10-2020, 11:55 PM   #60
SCOTI

Quote:
CPP customer service is horrible. I emailed them about their spring rate twice and they never replied. I asked on Summit racing. Where you can ask a question about a product and CPP replied and he said he did not know the spring rate. What a joke. They don’t know the spring rate of their own products.
Posted via Mobile Device
They'd just suggest you're bitter. But it is a fact that it's sad that you can't get an answer to that question. I've tried. Multiple times & each time no answer could be provided.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-12-2020, 05:17 PM   #61
forestb

I could not find any numbers on my rear coils to see if they are hd coils or not but I did push down on the front and the rear to see what the difference is. The rear is much stiffer in the rear. I think I need softer rear coils.

Last edited by forestb; 09-12-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #62
forestb

When I push down on the rear of the truck it rebounds and stays still. When I push down on the front it rebounds and then tends goes back down and up without me touching it. It takes more force to push down in the back than in the front. I made 2 videos of this but I don't know how to post them.
Old 09-14-2020, 01:44 PM   #63
SCOTI

Quote:
When I push down on the rear of the truck it rebounds and stays still. When I push down on the front it rebounds and then tends goes back down and up without me touching it. It takes more force to push down in the back than in the front. I made 2 videos of this but I don't know how to post them.
The Front: After compression, the parts should only return to their static position. The suspension should not repeat/continue any movement if the shocks are working. If it continues to 'bounce', I would say the shocks are suspect.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #64
forestb

So here are 2 videos of my suspension. The first is one of me pushing down on the front and the second of me pushing down on the rear.

https://youtu.be/cS1vulitOkA

https://youtu.be/uhJ6lEW9XmQ
Old 09-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #65
forestb

So I decided that my first step in improving my ride quality is getting a new set of front shocks from Belltech I will be getting their Nitro 2 shocks for a softer smoother ride. I will see how it feels from their.
Old 09-21-2020, 03:26 PM   #66
SCOTI

Quote:
So here are 2 videos of my suspension. The first is one of me pushing down on the front and the second of me pushing down on the rear.

https://youtu.be/cS1vulitOkA

https://youtu.be/uhJ6lEW9XmQ
Quote:
So I decided that my first step in improving my ride quality is getting a new set of front shocks from Belltech I will be getting their Nitro 2 shocks for a softer smoother ride. I will see how it feels from their.
Fronts didn't look as bad as I imagined. If you don't know the history of the shocks, replacement may not be a bad idea. At least you'll know what you have & can make decisions from that point based on that.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #67
forestb

What did you think of how the rear responded
Old 09-21-2020, 03:57 PM   #68
SCOTI

Quote:
It looked fairly stiff; possibly too stiff. But, it was hard to tell as it looked like the bed was tweaking/flexing some as well so the compression wasn't exact w/each 'push' on the body.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #69
SCOTI

Quote:
I went back to rotate & review some previously posted rear images. Looking @ this image, is the relocated bump-stop supposed to contact the top of the U-bolt or top of the axle tube? When you took the pics, was there full weight on the suspension or was that partially raised? I'm seeing a hair over 2.5" @ the U-bolt to the rubber pad & prob 2.5-2.75" for the tube to frame rail clearance.

There are no contact marks of the rear-end above the differential making contact w/the floor?
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-21-2020, 09:08 PM   #70
forestb

Yes the u bolts are supposed to make contact with the bump stops if it bottoms out. In that photo that shows 2.5 inches I think that there is a jack under the differential. So it should be about the same as having the full weight on the tires. Or nearly the same. I don’t see any signs of the diff hitting the bottom of the bed.

I really don’t think that my problem is it bottoming out it is more like I am feeling every crack and bump in the road. I don’t hear any thing making contact.
Old 09-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #71
forestb

One thing I have noticed is that when I have weight in the bed it rides a little smoother
Old 09-21-2020, 09:34 PM   #72
SCOTI

Quote:
One thing I have noticed is that when I have weight in the bed it rides a little smoother
I would pull a rear shock & see how easy/hard they are to compress. To much gas pressure for the rear shocks will limit their ability to dampen because of the lower weight & weight shifting.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-22-2020, 12:10 AM   #73
forestb

I recently reinstalled them and they were vary hard to compress. I had to use a ratchet strap to help compress them.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:17 AM   #74
SCOTI

Quote:
I recently reinstalled them and they were vary hard to compress. I had to use a ratchet strap to help compress them.
That's part of it possibly. Having to use a ratchet strap to compress seems too high. It might be acceptable on the heavier front end but not so much out back.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-22-2020, 09:50 AM   #75
bigmoe

I've always suspected that aftermarket front drop coils are just stock coils that have been cut. That would be why they can't tell you what the rate is. Also with cut coils the more you cut the stiffer it gets.
bigmoe is offline   Reply With Quote