The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2023, 08:48 AM   #1
scott123

Orange is the new $$$$

I bought this Blazer several years ago. It was primed black, with big hooptie wheels, a 68 front clip and a cowl induction hood. It would crank by just about looking at it and I never had a minute of trouble. I drove it everywhere and anywhere if the sun was out.

I ditched the 68 front clip with the cowl induction hood, ditched the hoopties and painted it orange.

Never paint anything orange. LOL

When completed I pulled it out of the shop, admired the new look and made the first drive as a stock looking Orange 72 K5.

I made it to the end of our road and it started running hot. The thermostat switch failed and the fans did not come on. I ordered another switch and took off on my next voyage. Again, ran hot. I replaced the relay and the cooling issues was resolved. I drove it around the block a few times and all was well. The next morning the anti-freeze on the floor said otherwise. The water pump was leaking from the weep hole so I pulled it all down and replaced the water pump and the belts while I was there.

Pulled it out of the shop and as I rolled down our path it stumbled and died. I pulled it back in the yard and I was getting no gas. Filled the bowl and it fired right up but died.

Sending unit shows a half tank but sounds empty tapping on it so today will be 'is it the sending unit or the fuel pump'.

I have looked all over the front end to see if I pinched a wire or damaged a wire changing out the front clip. I even scratched the shiny new orange paint to get a good ground.

I am thinking I should have left well enough alone and just lived with the ugly ass wheels and the cowl induction hood.

(forgot to add while swapping out the hooptie wheels I saw grease and found the rear axle seal was leaking. I pulled all that down and replaced the axle seal. Moving the axle back in the spider gear fell out and I wrestled them for an hour getting them back in place)

I am beginning to think it is the Orange paint that caused all this 'pain and suffering'. LOL

Scott
Attached Images

scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote