The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #476
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Post Your Straight Six Pics!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
For tube headers you would be wise to replace those locator pins on both ends of the head with bolts or even better, threaded studs.
Every hole down the side of the head is threaded 3/8-16. The heads originally had those end pins and the third hole from each end had a threaded stud for a 3/8-24, nut.
Originally they had both long and short clamping bars for between the IN and EX runners. I found extra short bars and used only those between the tube headers and a Clifford manifold.
I put studs in all eight holes and it makes it a lot easier to hold everything in place for assembly.
If you can't find the short clamping bars, you might try the steel half-balls from under old rocker arms. They are made of a real hard steel and are ready for another life of hard abuse. I have an Offy intake and Clifford long tube headers.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #477
RichardJ

Yes, the rocker balls are hard steel, but that only makes them harder to fit. Rocker balls are about 7/8", the short clamping bars are 1 1/4" and grind very easily for a precise fit. The heights of the cast flanges varied from runner to runner on the Clifford and were taller than the header flange.
I do see a lot of guys get by with simple flat washers and no problems.

The important thing is to do something with those end locator pins. Those will surely prevent a good seal.

Using 8 studs down the length of the head was a worth while bonus in my mind. It provides better clamping and it made it so much easier to assemble the three manifold pieces plus the gasket to the side of the head. Not so hard on the engine stand, but if you are reaching over the fenders.

Not one bolt is holding the manifolds in place in the photo. The manifolds are just set on the studs, one piece at a time.
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 04:48 PM   #478
69chevy lwb

292 with offenhouser finned valve cover, billet specialties stream line air cleaner, HEI distributor, 3 speed overdrive, other than that all stock
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM   #479
'68OrangeSunshine

RichardJ: You're right, I only used the rocker balls on the ends, where I removed the mounting guide pins and installed studs. I also have 2 studs in the center -- thus catching both outer holes on each header assembly. I will surely use all studs on my next L6 assembly.
69ChevyLWB: Nice valve cover. I see that's one made for the 250-292 "Late" series L6. Langdon sells an adapter to use the 235-261 "Early" series L6 valve cover on a late engine, but to me that's too much hardware.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 PM   #480
RichardJ

>> Langdon sells an adapter to use the 235-261 "Early" series L6 valve cover on a late engine,<<

Santucci's book shows that as a way to get clearance for aluminum rocker arms. The rocker arm companies all discourage removing any material from the aluminum rockers for any reason.
I cut the corners open and welded in extra metal to gain room for the Crane Gold on my engine.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #481
jcramsey

Quote:
For tube headers you would be wise to replace those locator pins on both ends of the head with bolts or even better, threaded studs.
Every hole down the side of the head is threaded 3/8-16. The heads originally had those end pins and the third hole from each end had a threaded stud for a 3/8-24, nut.
Originally they had both long and short clamping bars for between the IN and EX runners. I found extra short bars and used only those between the tube headers and a Clifford manifold.
I put studs in all eight holes and it makes it a lot easier to hold everything in place for assembly.
Thanks for the info on the thread sizes. I could already tell the pins on the end were gonna give me troubles..I will definitely switch them out for bolts or studs. I agree studs all the way across would be very ideal to make it easier to install everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
Good man ! .

Now your truck will stand out even more.

-Nate
Thanks Nate!
jcramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #482
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
>> Langdon sells an adapter to use the 235-261 "Early" series L6 valve cover on a late engine,<<

Santucci's book shows that as a way to get clearance for aluminum rocker arms. The rocker arm companies all discourage removing any material from the aluminum rockers for any reason.
I cut the corners open and welded in extra metal to gain room for the Crane Gold on my engine.
I painted my tin, non-script, stock valve cover in Cast Iron Grey so I could pretend it was a cast aluminum cover.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #483
Jimbabwe

I was gonna do that too. Thought it would look cool, but painted it orange instead. Let's see a pic.
Jimbabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #484
pritch

I got a little more done. All 3 of my carbs are re-built, but I still need a couple odds and ends for them. I've been working on the linkage, I know what I need, now just to find it. I'll have to cruise the parts board.

This is all just mock-up. As soon as find a couple more carb parts, I'll take each one of these and install on my green '68 and get them tuned up. I figure that will be the easiest way to test them. I still need to do a little clean-up on the outside of #3, so it better matches the other 2 in color. Some 4-ought steel wool will take the yellowish old finish off and leave the patina pretty well.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #485
bugmasta

40 years of farm work

Posted via Mobile Device

Club longbed ...cause girls like'em long!!!!!
bugmasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #486
truckeez

Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:32 PM   #487
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re : 292 L6 Upgrade

]

SWEET ! just be aware that these torque monster engines are :

A. thirsty buggers !

B. sure to blow up fast if you rev. them much , they're a stroker version of the thinwall 250 and long stroke engines hate high RPM's except in very short bursts as you're going up through the gears....
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #488
longbed67

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
I got a little more done. All 3 of my carbs are re-built, but I still need a couple odds and ends for them. I've been working on the linkage, I know what I need, now just to find it. I'll have to cruise the parts board.

This is all just mock-up. As soon as find a couple more carb parts, I'll take each one of these and install on my green '68 and get them tuned up. I figure that will be the easiest way to test them. I still need to do a little clean-up on the outside of #3, so it better matches the other 2 in color. Some 4-ought steel wool will take the yellowish old finish off and leave the patina pretty well.
If you tune each one to handle a 250 engine individually, and then you put all three on one 250, that thing will be so pig rich it prolly wont run...

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:48 AM   #489
Aaron Burkemper

I have an extra one of these, and wouldn't mind putting one in a C10 one day. It would be different, and they really wind up!
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #490
truckeez

Re: Re : 292 L6 Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWNate1 View Post
SWEET ! just be aware that these torque monster engines are :

A. thirsty buggers !

B. sure to blow up fast if you rev. them much , they're a stroker version of the thinwall 250 and long stroke engines hate high RPM's except in very short bursts as you're going up through the gears....
They are not near as fragile as you say they are nate, just dont put one in a dump truck and pop the clutch when its ful loaded -I know, this one was run in a truck for 3 mos- the owner let his bone head stepson ruin the previous one,,,, a rod thru the side /hole big as a fosters beer can.
truckeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #491
longbed67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Burkemper View Post
I have an extra one of these, and wouldn't mind putting one in a C10 one day. It would be different, and they really wind up!
Not trying to be the dummy here, and I can see it is a straight 6, but which engine is this and who makes it?

My 1967 C10 - Turbo 250 Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=485843

(608) 214-8706
longbed67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #492
67stepsideC10

I love this thread.

I have a 64 I bought a while back that I think I will keep the rest of my life. We've been through a whole lot together, and nobody's gonna want to pay what that's worth to me anyway. If you want the whole story read the thread in my sig.

I did my first engine swap in this truck. Went from the 230 (plum full of stop leak) to a later model 250 with only 40k miles. Sold the power steering off it for more than I paid for the engine. The fancy little chrome air cleaner bit the dust after an engine backfire early on so I'm running the stock air cleaner now.

Old:

None:

New:

Having some intermittent issue with it over the past couple of days. I've daily driven it the past couple weeks while a friend borrows my car. It has been cutting off on me at stoplights occasionally and is really difficult to get restarted. Backfired on me twice just humming down the interstate at 60mph, constant rpm, which it's never done. I think it's timing. I noticed last night I could see the exhaust glowing red under the floor through one of my rust holes. (One clear pro to having holes in the floorboard). Gotta be running too lean. I know I have (at least one) vacuum leak, too, but that can't be it, can it?

I will always keep the inline 6, would love to do an Offy 4bbl intake or even a 3x1bbl some day. Need a choke BADLY in the wintertime.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #493
shok

For the cutting out give the fuel filter, the one in the carb itself, a look. That was the issue when mine did that, found it full of rust.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #494
Aaron Burkemper

Quote:
Originally Posted by longbed67 View Post
Not trying to be the dummy here, and I can see it is a straight 6, but which engine is this and who makes it?
Not as common as the Chevy, so don't feel like a dummy. This is an overhead cam inline from my 67 Pontiac Tempest. They made a Sprint version with a 10.1 compression head. It also had a four barrel and split dual exhaust manifold. They only made them for a few years.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:18 AM   #495
Aaron Burkemper

Is it hard to start when cold, also? If not, probably not timing. I would look at sunk float or the choke stuck closed. Check your plugs for sooty black fouling.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:19 AM   #496
67stepsideC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shok View Post
For the cutting out give the fuel filter, the one in the carb itself, a look. That was the issue when mine did that, found it full of rust.
The muffler literally caught fire as I pulled in my driveway spitting and sputtering tonight on my way home from work. Flames up to the back window between the cab and bed.

Got the air cleaner off and quickly realized the choke was staying on 100% of the time, which I think was causing it to run extremely rich. Fuel accumulated in the muffler, which ignited. The muffler was already blown out from a big backfire I had a long time ago, so that's why the flames came up where they did. Probably wouldn't have ignited if it had a solid muffler.

Thankfully the flames went out quickly and there was no damage or injury.

About a week ago I noticed the cold weather was causing it to be difficult to start. The choke lever had been bent so that it wouldn't open. I bent it back to see how it would work. Seemed like it worked, so I let it be and have been driving like that for about a week. YIKES!

The choke lever is now bent BACK how it was before so it will stay off. Glad I figured it out.

Still going to check timing, fuel filters, and vacuum leaks tomorrow. Bet the plugs are fouled too from driving around with the choke on all week. The saga continues.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #497
67stepsideC10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Burkemper View Post
Is it hard to start when cold, also? If not, probably not timing. I would look at sunk float or the choke stuck closed. Check your plugs for sooty black fouling.
You guessed it.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #498
VWNate1

Post Re : 292 L6

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeez View Post
They are not near as fragile as you say they are nate, just dont put one in a dump truck and pop the clutch when its ful loaded -I know, this one was run in a truck for 3 mos- the owner let his bone head stepson ruin the previous one,,,, a rod thru the side /hole big as a fosters beer can.
I didn't say they are fragile because they're not ~ they just don't like to be overevved like the stupid kid did , that's why it broke the rod through the side of the block ~ I bet the rod failed right below the wrist pin , that's where they always fail when overevved .

Remember : the 292 was the standard engine in C50's and school bus chassis .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
VWNate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #499
Sixteen Tons

Attached Images

Sixteen Tons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:19 PM   #500
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Here is the 292 in my 64. I am looking for the original green engine paint for it, if anyone knows a color number.

I am going to Oregon right after Christmas to work on it a little more. This photo is from the day I bought it. I will keep the progress updated but it is slow.
Attached Images

TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote