The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
pbzzz

flex plate cover

I have 69 C10 I have owned for 31 years . It has the original TH350 in it . Somewhere along the way I must have misplaced the original flex plate cover .
I have a flex plate cover from some other GM/chev truck and the 4 bolt holes don't all line up correctly to the trans and when I try to use it the flex plate (or TC) rubs it when engine is running . How do I go about finding the correct flexplate cover for my truck ? Thanks for any help .
pbzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: flex plate cover

Just grind the holes so that the cover is further away from the flex plate and converter.#cheepniss If that isn't your preferred solution, I'm sure someone else will come along with something better, but costs more money.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
slikside

I got one off the parts board here on the site. Just keep your eyes open for one, they show up fairly regularly. I think I paid about $35 or so with shipping. Just make sure it’s for a small block and it should work. Not sure if auto or manual trans makes a difference though…

You can also pay to become a member, and then you can post a Want To Buy (WTB) on the parts board.

Good hunting.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
old51sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbzzz View Post
I have 69 C10 I have owned for 31 years . It has the original TH350 in it . Somewhere along the way I must have misplaced the original flex plate cover .
I have a flex plate cover from some other GM/chev truck and the 4 bolt holes don't all line up correctly to the trans and when I try to use it the flex plate (or TC) rubs it when engine is running . How do I go about finding the correct flexplate cover for my truck ? Thanks for any help .
It's funny you should bring this up, I just took a TH350 out of my truck and installed a 200-4R and the 350 cover does not fit on it. Curious as to what covers, if any will interchange. I don't believe it has anything to do with the engine size. Anyone know for sure?
old51sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 03:50 PM   #5
Sheepdip

I have added or replaced several of those dust covers over the years and have yet to see one that bolted right up...they have all needed a little hole reaming or massaging to fit.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 04:16 PM   #6
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by slikside View Post
I got one off the parts board here on the site. Just keep your eyes open for one, they show up fairly regularly. I think I paid about $35 or so with shipping. Just make sure it’s for a small block and it should work. Not sure if auto or manual trans makes a difference though…

You can also pay to become a member, and then you can post a Want To Buy (WTB) on the parts board.

Good hunting.
Flywheel covers for Manual Transmissions are a 2-piece unit. A curved pan that fits around the starter ring and bolts to the bottom of the tranny, and a flat [with reinforced dimpled edge runners] piece that bolts onto the front. Front plate has a 2 -3'' Starter hole with 3 bolt holes. Often hard to find and chewed up by POs. Not reproduced in aftermarket.

Automatic FlexPlate Covers are one-piece. No interchange.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 07-03-2021 at 09:40 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:32 PM   #7
54blackhornet

Two different covers for the 350 automatic. Steel and plastic. I would try for a steel version, plastic breaks down eventually.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:18 PM   #8
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Two different covers for the 350 automatic. Steel and plastic. I would try for a steel version, plastic breaks down eventually.
My 72 had a plastic one when I got it; It had snapped at one of the bolts and gotten into the flywheel and chewed up.

Haven't been able to find a replacement anywhere...
Old 07-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
slikside

Quote:
Originally Posted by '68OrangeSunshine View Post
Flywheel covers for Manual Transmissions are a 2-piece unit. A curved pan that fits around the starter ring and bolts to the bottom of the tranny, and a flat [with reinforced dimpled edge runners] piece that bolts onto the front. Front plate has a 2 -3'' Starter hole with 3 bolt holes. Often hard to find and chewed up by POs. Not reproduced in aftermarket.

Automatic FlexPlate Covers are one-piece. No interchange.
Thanks, didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC View Post
My 72 had a plastic one when I got it; It had snapped at one of the bolts and gotten into the flywheel and chewed up.

Haven't been able to find a replacement anywhere...
My original was a plastic one as well, and it broke just as ChevyGuy's did eventually. Before that, it had broken it other places, but was still securely attached. I wanted another plastic one, but couldn't find one. Now I'm glad I found a metal one.