The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
Mels72C20

Won't crank after installing new fuel sending unit.

Okay guys, I finally got the correct fuel sending unit for my truck and popped it in. Key on, 1/2 a tank, yeah it works. Then I proceeded to change the tranny fluid, new pan, gasket, and dipstick to fix the really bad leak I had. Filled it to just below the add mark and went to crank it up to start getting the level right. Truck fired up momentarily and cut off. Now it won't crank at all. First of all, I am carburetor stupid! Any help on what to check would be appreciated. Truck has a 350 with the original Rochester quadrajet.
Mels72C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 AM   #2
BigDaddyV

Re: Won't crank after installing new fuel sending unit.

Good old Quadraflood. Give it a bit and try it again. possibly just flooded it, My truck has been doing the samething but I need a carb rebuild and new fuel tank... Dont get discouraged, Lots a good peeps here that will help out.
1972 Chevy C10, Project "Chevro~Layed out" Nether Storm
Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...23#post6007523
BigDaddyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Lee H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mels72C20 View Post
Now it won't crank at all.
Meaning the starter will not turn over the engine or the starter turns over the engine but it will not fire?
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Mels72C20

I thought it may have been flooded. I had to leave it sitting for work and I tried again two days later to crank it with no luck. It turns over, but either it something with fuel or maybe no spark. When I operate the throttle by hand I see fuel spraying into it. I fixing to go out to the shop and I was just wanting to get some ideas before I started.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Try priming it.Even though you're getting some squirt,you have gotten air in the fuel lines while they were apart to install on the new sending unit.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Shyguy

If it is not flooded, starting fluid should allow it to start if it is a fuel delivery problem. If it does not start with starting fluid you will have to see if there is a spark at the plugs.

A wise member of this board, not me of course, has said often what is needed for an engine to run is: air, fuel and a spark if memory serves right. That is what is so good about this board we have so many knowledgeable people that are always willing to help. I have learned a lot from them.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.

Last edited by Shyguy; 05-05-2013 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add info.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Mels72C20

I have some starting fluid on hand. How much should I spray in there? I think it air in the line as well.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
Shyguy

Take the air cleaner off and spray in the throat of the carb, one good squirt. It may not stay running the first time if you have air in the line. Sometimes I have to try 3 times.

See if it starts the first time, like I said it will tell if you have a fuel delivery problem or lack of spark.
'92 GMC K-3500 Duallie, 454/4L80E.
Shyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
MikeyMan

Quote:
It turns over, but either it something with fuel or maybe no spark. When I operate the throttle by hand I see fuel spraying into it.
I've had issues with flooding on my 307 2bbl Rochester. Once that thing dumps some fuel, I can't get it to fire. More cranking only seems to suck down more fuel. The plugs get wet and don't want to fire.

What I ended up doing was pulling each spark plug and drying them with the air compressor. A little blast of air into the cylinder too. Once they're dry, I can get it to fire. Wet spark plugs in the sealed combustion chamber ain't gonna dry up anytime soon.

Of course, you need to check your ignition system and make sure you are getting spark to the cylinders. Also, check your engine oil to see if any gasoline may have leaked down.
MikeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
luvbowties

Exclamation Re: Won't crank after installing new fuel sending unit.

Quote:
Okay guys, I finally got the correct fuel sending unit for my truck and popped it in. Key on, 1/2 a tank, yeah it works. Then I proceeded to change the tranny fluid, new pan, gasket, and dipstick to fix the really bad leak I had. Filled it to just below the add mark and went to crank it up to start getting the level right. Truck fired up momentarily and cut off. Now it won't crank at all. First of all, I am carburetor stupid! Any help on what to check would be appreciated. Truck has a 350 with the original Rochester quadrajet.
It is super easy, when replacing the dipstick, to pull a wire off the coil or the distributor. Since u see fuel spraying into carb when pulling the throttle back, sounds like you're missing spark; u might ought to look for that loose wire. HTH,
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote