The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #1
dbutler

4wd to 2wd conversion

Okay so I picked up my first blazer yesterday. I have worked on several 72 trucks but have always wanted a blazer. So i found a 1972 CST blazer. I want to build a 2wd to enjoy with the family. I have been doing some research and trying to figure out what needs to be done. I would like to keep the rear leafs for simplification if possible. I also purchased a 1970 donor truck that was leaf spring and 5 hole that I plan to use front crossmember and rearend. Can someone tell me what i need to do on front other than take old suspension off and bolt new cross member up? On the rear, who makes the best lowering kit for leaf springs? I read there is a flip kit but I have not been able to find one. Is there a reason I should go away from leaf springs?

I appreciate all of your help.
Attached Images

dbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:06 AM   #2
craneboy72

Re: 4wd to 2wd conversion

Beautiful blazer be nice to get it back to her original glory please keep it a 4x4 asking for a friend 😂
craneboy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #3
lks dcvn

You have a few options...

-you can use the front suspension out of the 70 donor - that will give you 6 lug drum front and rears

-you can updgrade to using any 71-(I think 88) front suspension that will give you front disc - rear drum and 5 lug

-you can keep rear leaf spring and do an axle flip and then c-notch the frame to allow for axle travel

-you can do a 4x4 to 2wd blazer conversion from DeadEndGarage - that replaces the rear leaf springs with a trailing arm setup and has better shock mounts for ride comfort

I purchased a 1970 2wd GMC Jimmy conversion and they did a front suspension swap from a 87/88 surburban (5 lug disk) and then swapped the rear axles to 5 lug so the bolt pattern was consistent. The PO also did a c-notch since the truck is lowered and did an axle flip on top of the springs.

I picked up the 2wd conversion DeadEndGarage kit on the forum here - just haven't had the time to do the swap as I have been driving the truck every chance I get now that the weather is better.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 09:29 PM   #4
dbutler

The 70 was converted to 5 lug already. I could use the posi track rearend that came factory in blazer and chnage axles. Any idea what the factory gear ratio is in. Posh 4wd?
Old 04-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
notsolo

The spid on the glove box door could have the rear gear ratio...most likely 373.....good bit of drilling chiseling rivots. Easier if body is off, pull engine trans transfer case, all the cross members swap for 2wd parts. 2wd front radiator support brackets, 2wd steering box. What's the plan for 2wd engine and trans?
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #6
dbutler

I plan to use a sbc 350 with aftermarket efi with 4l60e trans. I may end up going the LS route. I just ordered most the Deadend garage parts yesterday. I just need to get a crossmember, trailing arms, drop spindles and lowering springs. The SPID didnt show gear ratio. I will most likely use the posh rearend and change axels from another rearend.

So i will need a different steering box and radiator support brackets?

I plan to build the blazer back to factory color and trim with white top instead of black, but lower it down with big wheels like my 72 c10. I want to keep it simple and clean like original just 2wd.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The truck looks clean. Original paint? Post more pics when poss please. Curious how the engine displacement emblem got relocated from it's typical location.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote