The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2018, 11:47 AM   #26
raic65

Re: fuel pump and tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafrog View Post
just talked to carl, his set up seems to a lot simpler, how would you block off return line, thanks for info
You can use something like this and then put the appropriate -an plug or put a fuel pressure gauge.

Last edited by raic65; 01-31-2018 at 11:59 AM.
raic65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #27
raic65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
You're using a 5th gen Camaro pump, right? Because the earlier modules all have returns on them.

I personally do not care for the whole blocking off the return line thing, to me its a car fire waiting to happen. I would get a pump with a return and run it like factory since your engine is set up for a return. High pressure fuel systems really aren't the place to cut corners to make things appear easier....
Correct. I am using a 5th gen pump on my swap. Not sure how you see not having a return line is a fire waiting to happen though. I'm curious, could you explain? To me it's not cutting a corner if the return line is capped properly. There will always be 40-60 psi at the rails regardless of which style fuel system you go with. If anything I think it's safer because there is one less line to rupture.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:53 PM   #28
novafrog

can I use the 5th gen pump and go up to intake and run return back to tank so I can use shorter pump, just wondering
03 cat.
06 gmc swb ext cab
novafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #29
raic65

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafrog View Post
can I use the 5th gen pump and go up to intake and run return back to tank so I can use shorter pump, just wondering
In this case no. The 5th gen pump with the appropriate hardware from Vaporworx already regulates the fuel pressure and allows you to dead head the fuel rail. If you were to run a return line you wouldn't build fuel pressure. The fuel would just flow through. One of the reasons I like the Vaporworx system is because there is no longer a need to run a return line making the install much easier to me in my eyes. Even with the corvette regulator/filter you need to run a return line from the filter back to the tank. I'm confused on what you mean using a shorter pump?

Last edited by raic65; 01-31-2018 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:02 PM   #30
mongocanfly
Post Whore

ls1nova...."This is another reason I dont like blocking the return line. I'm pretty sure he's talking about the line on the rail, and a little miscommunication going on here. If someone tried to use these on the rail, it would only be a matter of when, not if there will be a fire."

I agree 100%.....sometimes i fail to read between the lines.....100% on not using these caps on high pressure fuel rail....never ever...I thought he was referring to the unused return port on the tank....if he was using a internal pump

on my return fuel rail I used a pushlok to -an and then put a -an cap on it and its fine....my vett filter/reg is where my return to tank comes from

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver

Last edited by mongocanfly; 01-31-2018 at 03:10 PM.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #31
novafrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by raic65 View Post
In this case no. The 5th gen pump with the appropriate hardware from Vaporworx already regulates the fuel pressure and allows you to dead head the fuel rail. If you were to run a return line you wouldn't build fuel pressure. The fuel would just flow through. One of the reasons I like the Vaporworx system is because there is no longer a need to run a return line making the install much easier to me in my eyes. Even with the corvette regulator/filter you need to run a return line from the filter back to the tank. I'm confused on what you mean using a shorter pump?
dan at vetteworks told me the pumps he had where off 2010-2012 Camaro's our 6 1/2 ins.he said I would have make a tray so I could lower pump in my tank, my tank is 8 1/2
03 cat.
06 gmc swb ext cab
novafrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #32
ls1nova71

I have my 2002 Tahoe pump compressed to 9" and I dont think its all the way down, but if it is, you could probably trim off another half inch I would think.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:17 PM   #33
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by raic65 View Post
Correct. I am using a 5th gen pump on my swap. Not sure how you see not having a return line is a fire waiting to happen though. I'm curious, could you explain? To me it's not cutting a corner if the return line is capped properly. There will always be 40-60 psi at the rails regardless of which style fuel system you go with. If anything I think it's safer because there is one less line to rupture.
Im not saying you will have a fire, but I just dont understand why people dont just get a returnless rail if that's what you want. One of the reasons I dont recommend capping it is due to the fuel pressure regulator on the rail's tendency to leak when they go bad, which ive seen a lot. You'll notice the truck starts running bad due to fuel leaking out of it and being sucked into the intake by the vacuum hose. When you take the hose off, gas runs out of them, and if you've capped the return, its going to want to spray out, kind of like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. I dont know if you've ever watched helplessly as your car burns, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it isnt fun.....

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #34
raic65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls1nova71 View Post
Im not saying you will have a fire, but I just dont understand why people dont just get a returnless rail if that's what you want. One of the reasons I dont recommend capping it is due to the fuel pressure regulator on the rail's tendency to leak when they go bad, which ive seen a lot. You'll notice the truck starts running bad due to fuel leaking out of it and being sucked into the intake by the vacuum hose. When you take the hose off, gas runs out of them, and if you've capped the return, its going to want to spray out, kind of like putting your thumb over the end of a garden hose. I dont know if you've ever watched helplessly as your car burns, but I can tell you from first hand experience that it isnt fun.....
Wow. Never knew that. I'd do returnless from the start then to eliminate the potential. Made me search and it looks like regulator block-off plugs are available. Ironically, my truck had caught fire in the past due to a ruptured fuel line when it was a carb. Definitely not a fun experience.