The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #1
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Question Preventive Headaches: Installing New Shocks

So I am getting new BF A/T Tires, as it appears my BF GT tires are like 10 years old (they don't even make these GTs anymore). While I am at it, I have ordered new KBY Shocks (KG5416 / KG5409) from RockAuto with a nice 5% discount.

So I thought I'd ask before hand for some tips on removing these things and getting the new ones on! I did some searching on the forms and only found the below on the rear. I did read a post about new washers not fitting or something like that but did not really see a resolve on that issue. Really hope I don't find any squirrely stuff! Though these things look like then been on there forever and have been painted black (so I cannot even tell the make/model of them).

I have replaced shocks, like a zillion years ago on a car or two. I don't recall having problems but I haven't done a truck.

So any tips? should I be taking the wheels off one at a time and moving around the truck as I finish one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
Nothing to it. Jack rear end up and put a jack stand under the frame rails in the back. Not the rear end but frame. Then while you still have the jack up on the rear end take the top nuts loose and knock the bolt out of the hanger. Take the lower nuts off and knock them out. Reinstall as you take each one off. Done, letter back down on the ground and it ready to roll.
Sorry if I am making something out of nothing ....

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:04 PM   #2
pjmoreland

Re: Preventive Headaches: Installing New Shocks

I replaced my shocks recently. The fronts were a little more work than the rears because the original upper mounting studs had a retaining washer welded on instead of a nut. It was a bit awkward to access the inside of the frame rail to loosen the big nut on the back side of the mounting stud. The new shocks came with replacement studs. Also the bottom end of the new shock was a little wider than the old shock so I had to spend a little time bending the mounting tab to accept it.
Attached Images

pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
truckster

Hit all the fasteners with your preferred penetrating oil (I like Liquid Wrench). Repeat tomorrow, and every day until the shocks arrive. It might save you a ton of work.

Aside from that, it's not too hard of a job. I like to install the top first and use a drift punch to help me line up the bottom.
Old 03-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #4
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

It's pretty straightfoward. I have KYB Gas-a-just shocks on my K20 and they have performed very well for many years. One tip, if you're not already aware -- these are gas pressurized shocks with a nylon strap keeping them compressed. If you can, leave the nylon strap in place while you install the upper hardware (assuming the lower hardware is easier to access than the top). When you cut the strap, the shock will extend itself slowly so if you're lucky, you can install the lower hardware as it lines up. If you miss it, you just have to compress the shock by hand -- not a big deal but it's just easier to do before the shock is fully extended.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Thanks for the tips - the liquid wrench is a super idea! I am sure I would have had that idea *after* trying to remove the shocks!

Hope these are simple [just fits] replacements / no size differences!

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 03-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

well, looking at my fronts after putting Liquid Wrench on the inner nut I either have original or original like replacements. Seeing how the rubber is malformed, I am thinking original but does really matter. Now I have to deal with that 150 Ft pound nut, which on the passenger side is in a rather tight spot with the lines running near it.

Plus, I haven't a toque wrench that gets near 150 Ft pounds to deal with the replacement stud, my little guy is in inch pounds and I can only get to 80 ft pounds. ugh.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:28 PM   #7
geezer#99

You do know about ‘priming’ them, eh!

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/...g-your-shocks/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 12:33 PM   #8
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

no, I did not. Seems I recall it was suggested to keep the straps on until I have the upper in place - then remove the strap to let the shock expand and pop in the lower as it lines up to the bottom hole.

That kind of messes up that plan! lol

Last edited by Rich72C10; 03-03-2021 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #9
geezer#99

I always found the easy way was install them then cut the strap. Let it fully extend then compress them again a couple times. If it’s really hard compressing them I use a floor jack.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

So any tips on the front *original* shocks (or they were replaced with OEM sock style) and that 150 ft lbs frame nut? I have been for the last three days spraying Liquid Wrench on all the nuts (front and rear).

Is it likely this upper front stud will spin? If so, how do you give it back torque so the stud doesn't spin to get the nut off?

Old 03-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #11
KY_GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I replaced my shocks recently. The fronts were a little more work than the rears because the original upper mounting studs had a retaining washer welded on instead of a nut. It was a bit awkward to access the inside of the frame rail to loosen the big nut on the back side of the mounting stud. The new shocks came with replacement studs. Also the bottom end of the new shock was a little wider than the old shock so I had to spend a little time bending the mounting tab to accept it.
PJ, I see that you installed Belltech Street Performance shocks. Have you had a chance to to put them thru their paces? I am interested in changing out my KYB's for something a little more performance oriented without breaking the bank. Would be interested in your review.

Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592157
Engine Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=592233
KY_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_GMC View Post
PJ, I see that you installed Belltech Street Performance shocks. Have you had a chance to to put them thru their paces? I am interested in changing out my KYB's for something a little more performance oriented without breaking the bank. Would be interested in your review.
In the front I have 1" drop springs and 2-1/2" drop spindles, so the shocks I got are part number 2103HA. Had to install a thick washer underneath the upper mount studs to keep the shock body from hitting the frame (used the lock washers from the original shock mount studs). These shocks are larger in diameter than the stock shocks. Had to compress suspension about 1/4" to get the shocks installed, since the fully extended length wasn't quite long enough otherwise. These shocks have a high level of damping. I noticed this when driving over a speed bump. The front end was somewhat slow to rebound.

In the rear I have 6" drop springs, so I used 2208AA shocks. I should probably install a shock relocation kit, as my shocks are quite slanted right now. The rear suspension is quite stiff at the moment, as is to be expected. It hops around when I hit repaired/rough sections in the road.

Overall, my suspension is somewhat harsh, but that's the way it goes with a lowered truck. I didn't expect to have a cushy ride. It does, however, handle very well around curves. I have a sway bar on the front that helps, too. With these new shocks, lowering spindles and springs, the front suspension no longer bottoms out if I hit a dip in the road. The truck had 3" drop springs and stock spindles when I got it.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #13
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

The back shocks are on. The old ones, gee, I can compress them with no amount of effort and then they kind of think of decompressing and then say, "naw I happy compressed".

Now I am not so sure these nuts were 70 ft lbs. Granted I was using a 1/2 drive but they came loose with little to no effort (all the way around / top & bottom). I am concerned about them.

1. The tops are replacements, funny how new they look. They had washers on both sides, with the nut side having a lock washer. So I guess I am only with those - unless they are not the proper grade of fasteners. What grade are these suppose to be.

2. The bottoms had no washers at all, only a lock washer with the nut. I assume I should have a washer between the shock and lock washer? Seems reasonable. Though the bolt is two short to even put one on. There is hardly enough bolt to get the lock washer and nut on to be honest.

3. Oh, one bottom nut is 3/8, like the bolt head, all the other nuts are 7/8.

So, fastener and configuration recommendations? Going to do some searching too.

Edit: Manual shows me. No washers at all on top or I think that is just a lock washer at the top in the photo. Then bottom has wash, lock, then nut.

So, 7/8 nuts, longer Grade 8 bolts (what seems to be on there now is Grade 5) so I can have a washer, lock washer, then nut at the bottom??
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich72C10; 03-04-2021 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:51 PM   #14
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I got Lowe's last two Grade 8 1/2-13 at a length of 2 1/2 inches bolts. Got a matching Grade 8 Nuts and Washers to redo both lower shock mounts. I had to use my existing lock washers, Lowes was out of those. Picking are slim in the upper end of Grade 8 fasteners at Lowes

Here is a photo showing the Grade 5 1/2-13 at a length of 2 inches (red circle) bolt and one of the washers. Then each of the lower nuts. The 3/4 nut, after taking it off again and looking at it, I found it was split, you can just see the crack in the photo (red arrow point to it). The other nut is a size of 7/8 but fits on the 1/2-13 bolts. When looking at the KBY Front shocks, it comes with upper hardware, its out side both is 3/4 - so I am sticking with that. Well until someone here tells me I need to look for 7/8 nuts.

Now even with the washer and lock washer on, there is a wee bit of bolt coming out of the nut. Where as before, the bolt did not even make it flush with the nuts on the lower shock mount.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rich72C10; 03-05-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:17 AM   #15
Grumpy old man

Install the shock relocator kit it straightens up the rear shock a lot . This is with 4" drop and I've since switched them to 5" , The kit is only $32.00 on ebay
Attached Images

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:31 AM   #16
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I got Lowe's last two Grade 8 1/2-13 at a length of 2 1/2 inches bolts. Got a matching Grade 8 Nuts and Washers to redo both lower shock mounts. I had to use my existing lock washers, Lowes was out of those. Picking are slim in the upper end of Grade 8 fasteners at Lowes

Here is a photo showing the Grade 5 1/2-13 at a length of 2 inches (red circle) bolt and one of the washers. Then each of the lower nuts. The 3/4 nut, after taking it off again and looking at it, I found it was split, you can just see the crack in the photo (red arrow point to it). The other nut is a size of 7/8 but fits on the 1/2-13 bolts. When looking at the KBY Front shocks, it comes with upper hardware, its out side both is 3/4 - so I am sticking with that. Well until someone here tells me I need to look for 7/8 nuts.

Now even with the washer and lock washer on, there is a wee bit of bolt coming out of the nut. Where as before, the bolt did not even make it flush with the nuts on the lower shock mount.
Buy your hardware at tractor supply , There's one just up the road from you in Buda .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:53 AM   #17
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

That's a good idea, I didn't even think of the Buda's Tractor Supply Co. - I've been in there too a few times (for a riding lawnmower parts). I'll 100% keep that in mind if I need parts for the fronts!

Old 03-05-2021, 08:13 AM   #18
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Install the shock relocator kit it straightens up the rear shock a lot . This is with 4" drop and I've since switched them to 5" , The kit is only $32.00 on ebay
I haven't been thinking of dropping the truck but now that I have the new rear shocks on, she seems to be riding higher now - so maybe. I suppose that makes sense with the old shocks being so wore out.

I assume you mean this: Rear Shock Relocation Kit For 1963-72 Chevy C10 C20 GMC Pickup Lowered Truck

Old 03-05-2021, 04:27 PM   #19
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
well, looking at my fronts after putting Liquid Wrench on the inner nut I either have original or original like replacements. Seeing how the rubber is malformed, I am thinking original but does really matter. Now I have to deal with that 150 Ft pound nut, which on the passenger side is in a rather tight spot with the lines running near it.

Plus, I haven't a toque wrench that gets near 150 Ft pounds to deal with the replacement stud, my little guy is in inch pounds and I can only get to 80 ft pounds. ugh.
Not sure if you've figured the torque part out yet, but the 150 didn't sound right to me. I looked it up in my '72 service manual and it says, for the front, 140 ft/lbs for the upper end of the shock and 75 for the lower end. Then I found my instructions from ECE, and they say its only 60 ft/lbs for all of the shock bolts on the KYB shocks. For the rear shocks, GM says 75 ft/lbs for all shock bolts and ECE says 60 ft/lbs. So I used the ECE specs. Should make it easy for your torque wrench too lol.

Last edited by 68 P.O.S.; 03-05-2021 at 04:35 PM.
68 P.O.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:45 PM   #20
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

The KYB nuts would be 75 ft lbs, on the outside. I am pretty sure the replacement KYB inner larger nut would be 140 ft lbs on to the frame. Also, see this thread: Torque Spec for Front Upper Shock Mount

Or at least that is how I am reading all this. I am leaning towards 65 ft lbs is not enough for that inside nut for the new stud replacement.

Chevy manual page attached for Front Shocks.

I got the driver side on, man what a pain to break that 140 ft lb nut loose. Then when it came time to put the KBY stud on I had to disconnect the tailpipe from the manifold to get just two clicks on the torque ratchet! Passenger side i have kind of started but I had to remove some fuel line brackets to get the ratchet on (EEC truck).

BTW, what are these "ECE specs" you speak of??
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2021, 05:02 PM   #21
68 P.O.S.

Quote:
BTW, what are these "ECE specs" you speak of??
ECE stands for Early Classic Enterprises. They were probably the best vendor for suspension kits and various other parts for our trucks. They sold out to Holley a bit ago, but Holley hasn't brought the brand back out yet...hopefully soon. So I used ECE's specs when I installed my kit.
Old 03-05-2021, 05:48 PM   #22
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Ah, I see. Thank you for the postings / information but since I am in for a penny, in for a pound - I am sticking to the 140 / 75 ft lbs.

Getting that Stud to Frame at 140 is a chore but I now have both sides done. At least on the passenger side I didn't need to disconnect the tailpipe from the manifold. I am even keeping the tire on this time (though having it off would give me more room to push on the shock). So this side is going "easier".

I just need to recop some energy to be able to get this passenger shock buttoned up - it takes a bit to decompress these KBY shocks. Technically I am suppose to be working from home (on my computer) NOT working on my Truck. But the girls want to go out shopping and to get steak tonight... so I am cheating to get the front shocks done during "working hours".

Old 03-05-2021, 06:12 PM   #23
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Talking Re: Preventive Headaches: Installing New Shocks

Passenger, last one, installed, Praise Baby Jesus!

I had a bright idea, jack up the side a bit more so I'd have less shock to push down on to get it on the top stud!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #24
pjmoreland

Looking good!
Old 03-05-2021, 11:42 PM   #25
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Man, rides so much better!

Now to get the front end done.