The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2024, 08:02 AM   #1
popeyestruck

running board protector install

https://www.classicparts.com/1941-72...nfo/56%2D411/# I bought a set of these to protect the paing but cant really figure out how they install. They are flat on the bottom so wont fit flush on the treads of the step. Also at the top they have a 45 degree bend so wont fit flush against the step. Anyone put these in? I was thinking about bending them to 90 degrees but they are cast and will break if I try. Not sure how they sell these that are supposed to be for my truck but theres no way they fit. ???
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 12:37 PM   #2
jwhotrod

Re: running board protector install

they are step plates generally installed on earlier running boards. i have them on my 35 chevy sedan and they are not intended to have the upturned flange fit to any thing. they sit on the running boards where you would generally.place your foot getting in and out of the door. see attached photo. not the best closeup but it should give you an idea.
Attached Images

jwhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:13 PM   #3
mr48chev

I can remember thinking that those were cool in 1973 when I built my truck the first time around as they were the hot lick on street rods then. Now appearance wise they seem out of place unless you have the full add on regalia or a pretty well original truck.

These are just the plain flat ones if this works but they don't look out of place on a stock truck.

https://photos.smugmug.com/2022-Old-...IMG_3691-M.jpg
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:22 PM   #4
leegreen

Modern knock-off of what used to be a very common universal aftermarket accessory. They go all the way back to the model T era and I think the marketing was about not slipping more than protecting the running boards.

Deceptive of classic parts to not give better pictures

This came off a 1948 tandem axle AD truck about 45years ago, this was on passenger side, drivers side is worn smooth so they had been on the truck for some time and a forest had grown around the truck before I found it.
Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  29.8 KB
I plan to use this as a pattern and get 2 new ones cast someday

edit : the logo in center is 'never slip'
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 02:07 PM   #5
mr48chev

I've got some gray berber pattern boat carpet that is rubber backed that I have been thinking about cutting a section out of to put down on the running board for my wife to step on when she gets in and then put it behind the seat.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:43 PM   #6
popeyestruck

They should have put better pictures in the add. My truck will look mostly stock when finished so I like the way these look while protecting my paint. I'm thinking about cutting strips of rubber to go between the treads so they mount flat but I'll need to mock it up first
popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote