The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2024, 07:09 AM   #1
popeyestruck

Exhaust donut

I ordered this exhaust off ebay in june when I was acquiring parts. It says it is NOS replica and fits my 59. Finally took it out of the box and it has a flat gasket and sliding flange . My manifold takes a donut. The ebay selling is top rated and only sells exhausts but hasnt answered my email. Is there an adaptor I can use ? Not much good at pipe welding so I'd rather not go that route
Attached Images

popeyestruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:23 AM   #2
dsraven

Re: Exhaust donut

can you post a pic of the manifold end of the pipe that shows the flange better, the sliding flange part and also the actual manifold where the pipe attaches?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 10:32 AM   #3
dsraven

the assembly manual shows both styles. one with packing (donut) and one with a flat gasket.
Old 02-18-2024, 10:35 AM   #4
dsraven

a muffler shop could easily fix you up but you will get a better job from them if they can see a pic of the exhaust manifold and have the donut in hand so they can get the correct flange on the pipe.
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2024, 10:54 AM   #5
popeyestruck

Name:  IMG_20240218_095716.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  63.1 KB
Old 02-18-2024, 10:59 AM   #6
popeyestruck

I saw that in the manual and it confused me. Underneath the gasket photo it says 3000 4000 6000 and under the donut it says 5000. The gasket kit I bought for the truck came with a donut ,the exhaust came with a flat gasket. The manifold is set up for a donut. Edit I guess I could use the gasket and some permatex ultra high heat on both sides

Last edited by popeyestruck; 02-18-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:17 AM   #7
dsraven

a muffler shop may be able to make that flat flange into a donut shape with their hydraulic pipe bender. worth asking I think. otherwise they could easily weld on the correct flanged pipe snub or set you up with something that will work for you to install at home. it would need to be a clamped on set up though, which is sometimes asking for a leak. if they made the new snub pipe so it fir over your existing pipe, oncethe flat flange is cut off, then you could use a stepped band style clamp but ensure the pipe isn't supporting the rest of the exhaust system because that will always try to seperate the band clamp.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:54 AM   #8
mr48chev

A quality muffler shop can fix it. I'd first fit that pipe to the truck to see how far it drops down and if you might be able to have them just cut the flange off and put the correct flare on it.

Then they will probably tell you that they could have done the whole system forless than you paid when you include the shipping.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2024, 01:23 PM   #9
dsraven

I also wonder if something like this donut for the mid '90's chevy trucks could work. it has a short length of pipe inside it and is flat on one side.maybe you could find something like this at a local parts store and simply test fit it. if you take the pipe and the original donut with you that part would be simple enough.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...hoCJ8UQAvD_BwE
Old 02-18-2024, 01:24 PM   #10
dsraven

on the chevy trucks that use this I beieve the donut fits up inside the manifold and the donut seals against the pipe. yours would be a reverse of that.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #11
popeyestruck

I'll take that section of the pipe into a muffler shop on monday and see what they can do unless I hear back from the vendor before then. A muffler shop might have been cheaper but I dont think any make house calls. Maybe something like this
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #12
dsraven

I mean the pipe extension part fits up up into the manifold, sorry, that last post was a little confusing.
some donuts are made of a really hard material, like steel, so I also wonder if you could modify one of those to look like it is flat on one side and then tack a short length of pipe that fits snuggly inside the exhaust pipe so it sticks out far enough from the flat flange to hold the donut in place there. I suppose if it was longer and fit up inside the exhaust manifold a short bit that wouldn't hurt anything either.
just some ideas. the muffler shop being the best idea likely.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:02 PM   #13
dsraven

post 11 is kinda what the link I posted in post 9 except your version comes with the slide on flange as well. as long as the slide on part fits you bolt spacing I suppose. the donut's in both posts are sintered steel so it's like a highly compressed steel wool ring with some kinda additive in there that looks like the old asbestos donuts looked back in the day.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:05 PM   #14
dsraven

take a pic of your exhaust manifold with you to the muffler shop if possible. also check the sliding flange part from the new pipe to ensure it fits the bolt pattern on the manifold.
Old 02-18-2024, 02:08 PM   #15
popeyestruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
take a pic of your exhaust manifold with you to the muffler shop if possible. also check the sliding flange part from the new pipe to ensure it fits the bolt pattern on the manifold.
Will do thanks
Old 02-18-2024, 05:55 PM   #16
popeyestruck

Sellers response --Hey,
Technically we're closed but I saw your message and wanted to reach out. The 1950-59 Chevy Trucks use a flat gasket connection. In 1960 it switches to a donut connection with a flare and an insert to seat it. The manifold is the same from 1949-1962 so I'm not sure why there was the change. We can send a flat gasket ASAP (we've sold hundreds of these so we have the gasket in stock). The other option is I can make that same pipe with a flare-insert connection (to accept a donut) but I can't guarantee fitment. That option would take a few days and we'd want the one you have returned but it should fit in the same box we would send the requested one in.
I included pics of the IPC factory bend cards between the two. Just to interpret at the bottom, the 60-62 "bead" is the flare insert connection you're referring to that takes a donut. The "flat flare" on the 55-59 is describing a flat connection requiring a flat gasket.
Let us know what your preference is and we'll do our best to accommodate. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-18-2024, 05:57 PM   #17
popeyestruck

photos from seller
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2024, 10:51 PM   #18
jerry moss
Born Psycho

Smile Re: Exhaust donut

i work in a muffler shop(over 39 years), as long as it's quality pipe it can be reformed to accept a donut gasket. if not just cut off the end and make an adapter for the donut, it'll only take a few minutes either way. depending on the flange the sent you might need a different style to secure the pipe correctly to the manifold.
69 suburban K20-tilt,tach,vacuum,speedwarning,buckets,shoulder belts,am/fm,4 inch all spring lift,4 speed, 14 bolt full floater, dana 44 HD,warn winch,posi front and rear,tow hooks,plus other goodies.
73/80 chevy/gmc K20 SB400,turbo 400,205,tilt,a-c,gas hog.
77 K/5 cheyenne blazer-daily driver/beater. SON HAS IT NOW
BRENTWOOD,CALIFORNIA
jerry moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2024, 12:36 AM   #19
dsraven

it sounds like you will be on the hook for shipping the pipe back. maybe a quick trip or call to the muffler shop would give a cheaper result if they can simply reform the pipe. they would possibly have the correct hold down flange as well. try to find a muffler shop thats been around for awhile and has some seasoned veterans rather than young bucks, the seasoned fellas simply have more experience with older types of flanges and will know right away if it is a do-able re-work or not. I'm pretty sure my 58 had a donut style pipe connection. can't remember if my 57 had that or the flat flange with a gasket. I wasn't keeping the exhaust stuff due to going V8 or because the pipe was shot. it was more of a impact gun and get it off scenario anyway.
Old 02-19-2024, 02:45 AM   #20
popeyestruck

Thats the plan. I answered him that I was going to a muffler shop today but if they couldnt do it I'd take him up on his offer. I figure between postage and the hassle I can get one made for cheaper. Everyone except the vendor says they originally had a donut so I cant believe I'm the first guy with this problem but as long as it all works out I'm good