The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2024, 02:23 AM   #1
mr48chev

fiy on me

just a quick fiy to explain my lack of capital letters and funky punctuation along with few or no screen shots for the next few weeks. i had rotator cuff surgery this morning and am a bit out of commission for the next few weeks.

the surgery went well from what the doc told my daughter, longer than expected because i made a mess of it when i fell.

just thought i had better say what happened before yoy send nvrdone to check on me.

the real bad part for me is that i cant use my camera and no running out to take a quick photo.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:37 AM   #2
leegreen

Re: fiy on me

hey that sucks! I hope you make a full and speedy recovery
leegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:40 AM   #3
Rickysnickers

Hope you heal well and quickly.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 10:41 AM   #4
dsraven

I know exactly what you are going through because I have blown my shoulders out 4 times and had 4 major surgeries. being a firefighter is hard on the upper body for sure. all I can say is sit back and take it easy. the first week is the worst so gear up with the pain meds and do the ice on for 20 minutes/ice off for 20 minutes all day if you can. it is difficult to get comfy enough in bed to sleep so many nights I simply slept in the recliner chair. keep the sling on, I know it is hot and bulky etc but the surgery need to be sorta imobile so the healing parts don't get torn again and again. I had a little cooler that had a pump in it and a wrap that went around the shoulder so the ice water in the cooler was pumped up into the wrap and that made icing it a whole lot easier. well worth the money for the system and it has been used by several others for different joints. here is a link to the one I have
https://www.orthomed.ca/breg-polar-c...hoC-vsQAvD_BwE
when you start to go to physio ask for a paper copy of the exercise plan, which will start off really slow, so you can make sure to get all the movements done and not forget something. I always took a tylenol 45 minutes before starting the exercises so it would be less painful. you gotta be your own advocte so don't go into it thinking the physio guy is gonna fix you. the physio guy is only there to monitor you and give the exercises as he sees fit according to your progress.
anyway, sorry to hear you fell and got injured, it looks like it is more than the shoulder too, by the looks of the other hand. stick tight and soon you will be back up and running. did the doc say which muscles or tendons were torn? how extensive the surgery was?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 11:57 AM   #5
dennislbrooks

Been there also. Get full motion and feel better soon.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:23 PM   #6
nvrdone

Hey - get better in your own time. My wife shattered her femur back in Sept '22. Its been a slow mend but she is doing well. I think you are tougher than her so you will make it.
If you need anything from me, just call or email me.
Just get better as your body allows.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:56 PM   #7
unclebrad

x2 what dsraven said re recovery.

And don't expect it to be a quick heal. I was unable to do the more physical stuff for almost a year after my rotator cuff surgery.

I think the more you do the recovery process right, the better your chances of getting close to 100% use of that arm. Most guys I know estimate they got around 80%. (Knowing them though, they were poor patients. ;-)
Old 02-07-2024, 01:10 PM   #8
autowrench

I hope you have a speedy recovery! My wife is in her Physical Therapy phase following her rotator cuff surgery. She has been sticking to the whole regimen and it is paying off. But she does still spend most of the night in the recliner. It will be slow, but please take it easy and follow all of the doctor's instructions! Good Luck!
autowrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 02:50 PM   #9
lv2tri2

It won't be the same place without you.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:33 PM   #10
8man

Hate to hear about that, but here's hoping you recover well and quickly!
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204
8man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:38 PM   #11
oldman3

Recovery at our age, takes time. Don't over do anything, get better soon...Jim
oldman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM   #12
mr48chev

ice pack that is what i went in the kitchen for.

i just figured that it might be wise to let folks know why my typing might be wonky for a while.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 04:34 PM   #13
MARTINSR

Prayers going your way!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:39 PM   #14
58CameoAZ

Mr 48

I Honestly and Sincerely Hope you are feeling better soon and heal quick Sir,
prayers for a Speedy recovery for you.

Allen
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 06:48 PM   #15
58CameoAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
just a quick fiy to explain my lack of capital letters and funky punctuation along with few or no screen shots for the next few weeks. i had rotator cuff surgery this morning and am a bit out of commission for the next few weeks.

the surgery went well from what the doc told my daughter, longer than expected because i made a mess of it when i fell.

just thought i had better say what happened before yoy send nvrdone to check on me.

the real bad part for me is that i cant use my camera and no running out to take a quick photo.
Ok. In all Lightheartedness i will be the first to say this!
Mr48
You Look like an Older Mark Worman from Graveyard Cars!
58CameoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:53 PM   #16
mobileortho

Hope you have a speedy recovery my friend!!

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:04 AM   #17
iceman4

Mr 48
Best wishes for a speedy recovery !
iceman4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 01:01 PM   #18
51 3600

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58CameoAZ View Post
Ok. In all Lightheartedness i will be the first to say this!
Mr48
You Look like an Older Mark Worman from Graveyard Cars!
Haha! That should put a smile on your face mr48. I pray for your complete recovery. Won't say speedy because speedy is not part of our vernacular at our age.

'51 3600, LS5.3, 4L60e, Danforth cross., Blazer front susp., Borg Warner 9 bolt 3.27 GR, Wrangler leafs
51 3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 05:16 PM   #19
1project2many

Take it easy and follow Dr.s orders. Patience is important.

An angry table saw shattered my left index finger in early December. I'm still in therapy trying to turn the meatsack back into a finger. The stainless steel hardware is no fun. I should at least be able to wave a magnet over it to make sparks. At least I'm finally able to almost fully grip a fat steering wheel and my splittin' axe.

Hope it gets easier soon. Looking forward to a few wonky replies...
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:21 PM   #20
fauXGT

With all the injuries I've had over the years (severed fingers, broken wrist, shattered ankle)....listen to and do what therapy tells you to do. If they say rest and ice, then rest and ice. If they say raise the arm 20 times, do as much as you can. Most, I say most PT's are out for your best interests, even though you wan't to kill them when doing what they tell you to do. I don't know which injury was the worst as of pain level for me, but they were all extremely bad at the individual times.
Take a big rest for now, and thoughts and prayers are with you.
(p.s. At least my table saw blade was sharp enough to clean cut my fingers off. An artificial knuckle on index and a middle finger .25" shorter, but still functional)
'92 GMC Sonoma GT VIN #0015
'91 GMC Sonoma GT extended cab 1 of 1
.....and more trucks
fauXGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 10:59 AM   #21
dsraven

one of my shoulder surgeons explained it well. he said the physio is there to check progress and give new exercises as theythink you are able. they will usually watch you do the new exercises so they can help you get it right and explain it all to you so you understand how to do them. get you to do a full set while they attend others in the clinic, have their aids apply ice, heat or inter musclular electrical stimulation. they may come back and do needling or acupuncture if they are qualified or think it will help (really helped me) and then send you on your way with a schedule of new exercises to do several times a day. he said a lot of the patients he gets think the physio visits are really what it's all about and slack on the home program, thinking the physio is gonna get them through. thats the wrong attitude, he said. if you do that you will get better but likely wont have the range of motion or the strength to use the shoulder like you could have. you need to think about it like you do the hardest exercise you can within the guidlines of what the physio outlined for this session at home between visits. personally, I have an eliptical machine at home so I would do slow exercies on that with as much intensity on the legs as i could muster. i could keep my arm in the sling and hang on with the other hand while doing this. it got my heart rate up and used some of the larger muscles so that got the blood pumping pretty well. I think that is part of the healing process to help fresh blood get to the injury site and help heal up and flush out the bad stuff from your system. when doing the exercises I performed them to the best of my abilities at the time, as per the instructions. stretching, when the time comes for that, is also key to get the full range of motion. each surgery turned out well and I have great range of motion and the doc says its because I did what I did. don't over do it but don't slack off either. you'll get through it.keep moving in the meantime, safely of course.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 11:30 AM   #22
vintovka

Sorry to hear, Take care and mend up!!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote