The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-05-2014, 03:29 AM   #24
70.455gs@gmail.com

Re: GMC rare "CONTENDER" trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by itg View Post
Great to hear it. I noticed it had been removed a couple of days ago. I was considering buying it myself just to save it. Its amazing how little information is available on these trucks, I even emailed the GM Heritage Center and they had no record of it. Honestly, considering there was only 150 originally built, and the fact that most have probably been turned into bridges since 1971, you may have a seriously rare gem on your hands. Ive gotta know one thing, does the SPID show a code or description for the contender package?
Somehow the dealer's Commercial and Truck Order has survived with the truck. It shows 31 total options and 3 Non-Print options, but none are for a "Contender" option per se. What it does indicate at the bottom of the second page is "Contender Drive Away Mandat", which verifies that this truck is indeed one of the 150 Contender trucks. Interestingly, though the article that referenced the options included in the package was the tilt wheel, which this truck does not have. Wish it did, as it would facilitate the ingress and egress of this 6'3" aging frame of mine :-) For as ratty as the exterior appears, the old truck runs amazingly well, and the front end is very tight.