The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
72BLAZERDUDE

New Window

If you can't tell this is a hole in the fixed portion of one of my sliding rear side windows. I have since covered it with clear packing tape It is what happens when teenagers are out to late and don't have anything to do. About 1 oclock the other night I had just come in and I hear a loud bang. Run outside to check things out and see about 5 teenagers running down the street. Checked my Blazer and theres the hole and theres a small rock inside. I don't think todays kids have any respect for anything. I dont know if that can be replaced. Fortunately last time we were at the junk yard We grabbed the solid glass side windows out of a 78 Blazer, so I thing I will just replace them. I think those sliding windows are really expensive to replace whole. Does anybody know who carries side window rubbers for a 78. Only place I have been able to find is LMC. Rather support a vendor on here. If I do replace them I will definately be looking to get rid of them cheap.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
78gmc

Re: New Window

is it flat glass or curved?
if it is flat try this
try and pop it out without breaking it any farther
take it to home depot and have then try and cut it out of ordinary house window glass. you might ask em if there machine can cut angles instead of staight cuts 1st. it won't be safety glass or anything but will be cheap to use. i think they charge 5 or 6 bux per cut but the glass isnt but like 6 bux. might give it a try.
78gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #3
factory2wdblazer's

yes these kid's today have no dam resect for other people thing's.......you sould have tooken your belt off and chased them little bastard's down the road..
factory2wdblazer's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
kevinr1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78gmc View Post
...take it to home depot and have then try and cut it out of ordinary house window glass. you might ask em if there machine can cut angles instead of staight cuts 1st. it won't be safety glass or anything but will be cheap to use.
I don't know if that is the best advice?!? I wouldn't use any kind or ordinary (not safety) glass in a vehicle. When it breaks it breaks in shards (not sharts!). Think lots of sharp little knifes.

I have seen sideglass as cheap as $10 on craigslist. Then again I have seen people asking over $100 for one side?
1991 GMC CrewCab Dually 4x4, just going to fix things up for now
1982/1989 K5/GMC Jimmy 2wd
1987 GMC 1/2 ton swb 2wd Crew (sold)
kevinr1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:39 PM   #5
factory2wdblazer's

i know what your talking about, we alway's see them when we dont' need them.... right know here in modesto on craigslist there is a set of rear window's for your blazer for $20.00 buck's.......dirt cheap...........
factory2wdblazer's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:42 PM   #6
72BLAZERDUDE

They a definetly curved glass. I was looking through the "Handy dandy I hate to buy anything from them" LMC catalog and found that they sell solid glass replacements. But not sure I understand the pricing. The left side is 99.95, the right side is 299.95. Also only shows one style gasket for both styles window. Shows a additional rubber gasket for the sliding side windows. I assume that is to make up the difference in thickness between the solid glass 1/4 inch thick and the aluminum frame of the sliding glass windows which is probably about 1/8 inch thich. Dut since I have never had one apart I am only guessing. I n looking at the sliding glass windows I can only see one break in the frame at the bottom. Maybe when it is out you can get the break to slide apart sideways and slide the old glass out. Of course that still doesn't mean I can find a replacement for that piece. I f I have to take it out anyways and get new rubbers I might as well just use the solid glass replacements I have. Besides those little wind deflector pieces of glass look like a good place for someone to break in and the little latches that lock the sliding windows are broken on both sides.