The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1967-1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2003, 11:24 PM   #1
WRMZ71
Cause the Chicks DIG IT!!

STupid.....LighTS!!!

Does anybody know if there is a main ground for the turn signals and dash lights inside the cab on a 71 chevy halft ton? when i turn on my left turn signals they work fine, when i turn on my 4 ways they work fine, but when i turn on the right side both lights in back blink the front left side marker light blinks and all the dash lights blink I've replaced the turn signal switch, the light switch and pulled off the rear wiring harness and there aren't any faults. I've figured out that the rear left turn signal is blinking through the brown wire which is lights???? Any ideas ???? HELP!!!
WRMZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:26 PM   #2
dinnut

my ground is on a screw at the bottom of the gauges to the right of the steering column
Old 11-25-2003, 11:27 PM   #3
ozarkhippie

Did you have this problem before you changed the turn sig. switch?
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2003, 11:33 PM   #4
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Check the frame grounds too. I had a similar problem and found it was the rear tail light frame ground. The rear lights ground to the bracket which grounds to the box which grounds to the frame which should ground to your neg battery terminal. Make sure it is all connected. It will drive you nuts trying the chase down a ground problem if you don't make sure all grounds are tight and good. Good Luck
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 09:43 PM   #5
WRMZ71

Yes i still had the problem before i changed the turnsignal switch. I had found another problem with the lights that when you turned on the headlights the right turn signal would flash. The new turn signal switch took care of that but not my other problems. I'm pretty sure it's gotta be some type of ground in the cab because at the harness in the firewall where it goes to the back I get the blinking volts at the dark green wire which is ps rear turnsignal but also the brown which is the headlights circuit. I traced the brown wire back and it plugs into the headlight switch . i unplugged that there and they still blink. I then checked for continuity between the dark green and brown wires to see if they were cut and touching somewhere but i didn't get any continuity I'm running out of ideas. Does anybody know if the fuseblock grounds itself out when you bolt it into the firewall? I took it off and looks all plastic. I found one black wire running out of the back of the fuse panel and it ran up to the radiator support above the old voltage regulator. I cleaned it all up and still nothing. Any body got any more ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-27-2003, 10:03 PM   #6
ozarkhippie

I just looked on my 72 there is a ground up by the voltage reg. also. Not saying this will find your prob. but unplug the rear lights at the plug in the back and then see if you still have the prob.
ozarkhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 10:27 PM   #7
WRMZ71

the front lights flash too and so do the dash lights.I was just out playing with it cleaning up my grounds in back and threw the multimeter on it and it gets power like that. What i'm looking at now is 2 small boxes on the ds firewall right by where the wiring mount is on the back of the fuse box. theres one brown wire that runs itnto 2 what appear to be black ones. when i unplug the clip the front 2 light markers go off. Could all of the lights be run through these 2 mysterious boxes and what the hell are they? I look in my haynes manual and there not covered.