The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2011, 08:03 AM   #1
greguw

Cowl Induction Hoods

Hey Guys , I'm waiting on parts for my cummins Suburban build , started to prefit some of the front end sheet metal , I was lucky to find new old stock fenders and rad support .
I have a stock hood but was considering picking up a cowl induction .
I see summit has a Goodmark hood . I hate LMC but they have one and seems like there are few other guys out there pedaling there hoods .
With the cummins fiberglass is not a good option for me with the viberation ... Any one know the quality of the Goodmark hoods ... there not cheap , summit wqants 395 plus 89 for the ship .
Any other venders would be great ?

Thanks

greg

Last edited by greguw; 04-06-2011 at 08:04 AM.
greguw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #2
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Re: Cowl Induction Hoods

I would really suggest trying to find a local business to buy the hood from. Mostly due to transport cost and risk of damage. It is so much easier to go pick one up locally and be able to open it and inspect for damages before loading it up. Getting one dropped at the house, then finding that a herd of elephants has tap danced on it, really sucks and is a pain to ship back etc.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Randy is right. As for the quality, I had one on my '73. It fit very well. I ended up getting mine from www.73-87chevytrucks.com , but I ordered a lot of other parts too, so the shipping kind of evened out. If you check the Goodmark website, I am pretty sure there is a vendor list there.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #4
greguw

I did check out the www.73-87chevytrucks and there ship is 150 ... looks like the same first numbers are the same on summits site . I still have some other parts to order from summit ... I might just go that route , I do hate shipping in body parts as you you guys ... i was in the body business and I would have a hard enough time getting body parts from them with no dents .
I would hope they come in packed pretty well ?
Old 04-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
iluvmy72

With all of the fabricating you did for the diesel, you are not going to customize your own hood.....most disappointing!!
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
russgt

Check out local swap meets. I have had companies that were attending swap meets in my area bring my stuff with them. They are more than willing to do it, do not charge shipping, and most of the time give show discounts.
07 Sierra Z71
17 Max Trailering 6.2 Crew
71 Nova SS

My Blazer build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=363634
russgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #7
greguw

I was contemplating building a custom hood but the hood I have is not worth the effort ... I have built custom hoods in the past and have more than enough other areas to focus on .
Other reason is the same not using a fiberglass hood , the body fill would crack over time because of the vibration of the cummins .
Old 04-12-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
DBLSPRT68

Craigslist or swap meets in your area. I found mine on craigslist. New never mounted, but not in box. I just drove across town and picked it up. $300 and no shipping. I've also heard, there are a lot of cowl induction hoods being sold on craigslist around the country. Not sure why, but why pay shipping??? I would also suggest a steel hood. Fiberglass is going to be problematic......
PROJECT TRUCK: 1985 SWB C10 Silverado Black/Charcoal, 1990 V2500 Suburban, 2018 Suburban, 2005 GMC 2500HD CCSB, 2014 Toyota Camry SE, HAD.....1968 Camaro RS/SS Family owned since new; 350 3 speed SOLD
DBLSPRT68 is offline   Reply With Quote