The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-05-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
VA72C10
VA72C10

71 Blazer "Finishing Touches"

I named this blazer "Finishing Touches" because the majority of the hard work has been finished. I found this on my local Craigslist. Went because it was a good price and my original plan was to use the tub and convert it to 2wd. However, after seeing the truck in person and realizing it was almost finished, I decided to buy it and finish it up. Going to hopefully get it done soon and enjoy it this summer. Then, we'll see if I get any offers to sell it so I can get some funds back to get back on my 67 Resto-mod pickup.

First of all, I'd like to thank the PO (Previous Owner) Normally most people come on here complaining about PO's. This Blazer, however, was built right. I really didn't look it over as well as I should because I was afraid of missing out on the deal. Kept thinking someone else would show up with cash and steal it from me.

As I've started working on it I keep finding nice detailing and quality parts. For example, a complete ARP stud kit for the engine. rustproofed and painted inside the cowl vent area and the vent covers were taken apart, new seals installed, and re-riveted. Powdercoated door striker plates, under dash courtesy lights and glovebox light added, firewall insulation and factory style cardboard cover installed, wiring neatly installed and wrapped with loom to protect it. Frame was sandblasted and sprayed with POR15, suspension was detailed and all new suspension components. Transfer case with new seals and painted, transmission had a $800 rebuild and was painted, motor had 1700 invested in it and painted/detailed, new heater core and blower motor and detailed boxes inside and out. All new body bushings,bolts/hoses/belts. New brake assembly, new power steering gearbox, pump and hoses, etc.etc.etc.

I just got through tearing down a truck and starting a frame off, detailing a frame and installing all new suspension so I can appreciate all the hard work that went into this.

There are a few things I will fix that he didn't do to my satisfaction. The front rotors are questionable while the rest of the brakes are all new...those will be replaced. He put new hood hinges on that aren't fitting well so I'm taking my nicest set of used ones and will be switching them out. There are four spots on the body that need addressing. (that's right only four! ) They were repairs done by the previous owner with metal patches but not up to the quality of the rest of the blazer. These will be removed and new metal welded in. Hardly any more dings on the entire body other than right at the taillights that will be easy enough to get to.

So some light metal work, body work, paint, and then final assembly is all that's left.

Here are the pictures I took the day I went to look at it.