The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 PM   #1
Foxtrot

'79 BB MKIV AIR Pump

We got a '79 Camper Special not too long ago. Every now and then the engine makes a sound like something spinning and metallic is malfunctioning, making a clank sound with each revolution.
My first suspicion was the alternator fan, so I removed the V-belt and played with the pulley, no issue. I reached down and played with the AIR pump pulley and could hear/feel resistance on each revolution.
I know the AIR pump is pretty pointless and law here doesn't prohibit me from removing it, so remove it I shall.
Just a couple things have stopped me from doing it so far:
1) What size V-belt will I need or how can I calculate this?
2) Removing the pump (and its immediate systems) will leave holes for certain in the exhaust manifolds. Are there any other holes anywhere that will need plugging? What's the best way to plug the manifolds, or am I better off investing in new ones?
3) I've read other people's posts describing their AIR pump removal, and a few of them moved the alternator to the AIR pump's former location. Any rationale to this? Without going to take another look at the engine, I don't think removing the AIR pump causes any obstructions for the V-belt's routing without it--the only reason I can see for relocating the alternator.
4) We want to keep the truck original as much as possible (a soft promise to it's one and only former owner, certainly no painting it black and turning it into a low-rider). As far as that goes, what is the common opinion on originality and removing a useless part like this? Do we run the risk--if we decide to sell it for some odd reason--that someone will be upset to find out the AIR pump is gone?
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote