The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #1
cshanek

64 Chevy C20 Camper Special Parking Brake Question

I recently bought a 64 C20 and have spent the last 8 weeks working on it. Last night I crawled under the truck to try to figure out why the parking brake did not work and to my surprise, I found it was just a collar which clamped around the drive shaft (see pic). I have looked around on LMC, classicparts, and other parts stores and cannot seem to find this anywhere. Surely this wasn't stock right? Any thoughts on where I can find parts? I tightened the nut at the bottom of the assembly and it is working for now, though I would like some new hardware once the underside is tidy.

Speaking of, see all that gunk in the picture? I have been manually scraping that off the truck now for about a week, and using brake cleaner, carb cleaner, engine degreaser, high pressure washes, and still have found anything that works other than crawling around and scraping. Any ideas here?
Attached Images

cshanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
andyh1956

Re: 64 Chevy C20 Camper Special Parking Brake Question

Welcome to the Wide World of Trucks! Yes that is an OEM trans mounted parking brake. The nut on the bottom is 1st adjustment, wear compensation adjustment should be done at the handle, clock wise tightens the band.
Note- the bottom adjustment should be done only after the handle adjustment is backed all the way off.
Scrape the big stuff 1st then find some one with a real steam cleaner & offer to "Rent" it for a few min. Caution!!! You may wash off something that is holding the lubricant in!!
Don't ask how I know that...
andyh1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:27 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

That style of parking brake was standard on the C30 and up trucks and an option on the C20's.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:53 AM   #4
jocko

welcome to the site and post some more truck pics. one note for awareness, the first year for a custom camper (later called a camper special) was in 65.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
cshanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
welcome to the site and post some more truck pics. one note for awareness, the first year for a custom camper (later called a camper special) was in 65.
That's odd, I checked the door plate, and it is a 64 (made in St Louis if I remember), and it has/or had the camper brackets all over the outside bed of the truck, the camper plug which also looks stock, and the two under-bed aux tanks.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
cshanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh1956 View Post
Welcome to the Wide World of Trucks! Yes that is an OEM trans mounted parking brake. The nut on the bottom is 1st adjustment, wear compensation adjustment should be done at the handle, clock wise tightens the band.
Note- the bottom adjustment should be done only after the handle adjustment is backed all the way off.
Scrape the big stuff 1st then find some one with a real steam cleaner & offer to "Rent" it for a few min. Caution!!! You may wash off something that is holding the lubricant in!!
Don't ask how I know that...
Thanks for the response, great info. Where and how is the handle adjusted? I tightened the loose-looking smaller bolt/nut (about 3 inches long) first, then the larger nut at the bottom.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
cshanek

I will post pics here once I have a little more time, but the link below has all the info about the project, including pics, work logs, wish lists, purchases.

http://www.ahuiz.com/shane/?page_id=1453
Old 03-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #8
60-66

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanek View Post
That's odd, I checked the door plate, and it is a 64 (made in St Louis if I remember), and it has/or had the camper brackets all over the outside bed of the truck, the camper plug which also looks stock, and the two under-bed aux tanks.
Like Jocko stated , 1965 and 1966 only . All Camper specials had a special nameplate in place of the C "20" emblem on the fender for 66 and cowl panel for 65. Campers and camper mountings were sold aftermarket. Chevrolet built the truck for the purpose of or to carry the weight , not to mount the camper. Looks like you have a neat truck , love to see more of it.
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #9
60-66

Looking at your pictures , nice to see the factory red seat and the black accessory seat belts. Whats your plan for the truck ?
WANTED :1964-1966 PANEL TRUCK
60-66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 PM   #10
cshanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
Looking at your pictures , nice to see the factory red seat and the black accessory seat belts. Whats your plan for the truck ?
Well, in order ...
1) I am going to rebuild all the brakes, because I think my front right brake is sticking. I ordered new spring kits, and a new master cylinder earlier this week and should be getting them in this weekend. I might buy new wheel cylinders and shoes if necessary as well.
2) If you look at the interior strip out pics there are rust spots down in the footwells and rocker panels. I am going to buy the replacement panels from LMC and weld them on. Once that is done I am going to paint the interior, then sound/heat proof and lay down carpet (though I might just put a black vinyl mat on like before). There is a seat cover on right now, but I want to get the red seat redone. I also plan on getting one of those cool aftermarket mock-up radios (that look like originals, but add bluetooth).
3) Need to do something with rear, have not decided on roll pan or c10-c20 small fender (I ripped off the massive camper step fender)
4) I am going to replace the two rusted front fenders (about $250 each at LMC)
5) I have a rusted radiator support bracket that needs to be replaced
6) Suspension will need to be replaced eventually ..
7) Which leads to disk brake kit? I think the 8-lug ones are about 1k, and I just purchased my 8-lug replicas (which reminds me I am selling the 5 original snap ring 8-luggers on the cheap).
8) Clean the underside, maybe something like this ... (http://www.autobahnslc.com/assets/ch...65-tan-193.jpg). Before I do that though I will need to fix my exhaust problem (no muffler currently). I am undecided if I want new headers and dual exhaust

Generally speaking though, I want to keep it as stock as I can. I am saving just about everything I rip off too. I will probably leave it primer/patina colored for a few years before I paint the outside. It has a 283 in it with a handwritten service record (kind of awesome) and 85k original miles so I am just going to ride with that for now. If and when age becomes and issue there I might put a 350 in.

Last edited by cshanek; 03-09-2017 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #11
cshanek

2a) I also have to do something with my headlights. There are very dim and any bump I hit leads to them lighting up the ground right in front of the truck.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

8 lug disc brakes are cheap. All you need is a '73-'87 C20 donor suspension. Around here I can't give them away, they end up going to the scrap yard.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:01 AM   #13
jocko

thanks for the pic link, nice looking truck. that original red seat is awesome. keep us posted!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
factorystock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanek View Post
(which reminds me I am selling the 5 original snap ring 8-luggers on the cheap).
15" multipiece 8" lugs are a hard sell, but, if you decide to scrap them, KEEP THE CLIPS, they can be removed and installed on newer rims to retain the period hubcaps, or the clips can be sold off to other 3/4 ton owners wishing to do the conversion.
factorystock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:08 PM   #15
rideblue00

The clips are still made amd sold
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote