The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
Oilbrnr

Re: NV4500 swap is underway

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post

Here is one they did on a K5 a while back. The exterior is still made of the old corrugated aluminum siding that I cannot stand. The bed above the cab on mine will be even with the front of the cab and not hang over like this one.

The pic does look -90's ish, but the idea might not be bad. If you shift the main cabin aft and bring it in line with the cab like yours will be, how compromised do you think the departure angle would be? (assuming the same lift height as your truck)

Well, I don't want to hijack this thread too much, but I think you are really going to enjoy it. The more comfortable you sleep on those trips, the more you appreciate the waking hours of them!

'66 C10 w/factory A/C
'77 Cheyenne K5 350/465/205
'80 Custom Deluxe K20 350/465/205
'04 Denali XL
'05 DMax CCLB 4x

Have a Hickey Sidewinder Winch and need the owners/install manual? Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you a .pdf
Oilbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Judging by the way you are describing the sound in your drive train, you probably wont be driving it up this way any time soon, but if you do, I would love to see if I can lend a hand in diagnosing the noise... mostly because I just want a ride in your truck

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
duallyjams

I know that I am more than a stone throw from ya but i have an extra 27 spline 205.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #4
jltait

Larry,
I noticed you referenced fluid gm part number 12345349, I think this is the synchromesh for the nv35xx. I think the correct number for the Re-bottled castrol syntorq (required for NV4500) is GM part number 12346190. Maybe you simply mis-quoted or could be my number is incorrect, but I am pretty sure this is the number and I know it makes a BIG difference.
Jason
jltait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Billhilly

You must be getting jittery waiting for the camper! Bummer about the noise issue. I know you will have access to 205 parts etc in CO, but Dan has most everything if you can't find it local - http://www.quad4x4.com/New_Process_NP205_Parts.html
Old 02-24-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I know you already know you have the right fluid, but just a little tid bit for all. The fluid for the NV3500 Synchromesh is red like automatic tranny fluid and is about 5 bucks a quart. The Castrol Syntorq for the NV4500 is very light tan and costs 25 bucks a quart or so. 25 bucks for 5 quarts is not too bad, considering the factory service manual says "do not change unless contaminated" for the interval.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
Meatman

I have a NV4500 in my truck. It was just rebuilt when I bought the truck and its pretty noisy too. I didnt run the fancy synthetic fluid, I went to the parts store and bought the regular gear lube, but GL4 specific. I was told it has to be GL4 due to the brass non fiber sycros. I added a little Lucas also. Ive only put a few hundred miles on it but have noticed its really noisy especially when its cold in the mornings, I can feel alot of weird stuff through the shifter too, mainly before it warms up. Way different then the SM465 in my 76 or the 6 speed in my formula.
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #8
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Pretty sure we found the problem Saturday. Ran the truck on stands and listened to the trans and tcase through a stethoscope and found the noise emitting from the rear of the tcase. Pulled the tcase, ripped it apart and found the rear output gear badly damage from corrosion. Don’t know how in the world we missed that when we resealed it.

So we ran over to a local bone yard and picked up another 27 spline 205 only to get it home, open it and find it in worse shape… Much worse. It looked like it had been lying in the dirt with the bearing side exposed for decades or it was the tcase off from the Titanic. That tcase is going back today.

Found another 205 on Craigslist for $20 with a broken input shaft Saturday. Figured it would be worth $20 in small parts if it was badly damaged. Got it home and pulled it apart to find it was actually in great shape despite the broken input. So, between my original $25 CL 205 and this latest $20 score we can make 1 good one. Have a bearing and seal kit on order now and will be reassembling next weekend then we’ll see!

DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #9
duallyjams

wow was it filled with water before you got it.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:35 PM   #10
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Holy macro photo dude! Glad you were able to find the smoking gun causing the noise. That and it wasn't coming from the freebie nv4500.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomad75 View Post
Holy macro photo dude! Glad you were able to find the smoking gun causing the noise. That and it wasn't coming from the freebie nv4500.
Too soon to tell but this definitely was the cause of the majority of the racket. It looks much worse in these super macro pictures than it does in person. I still can’t figure out how we missed this when we resealed it.

Status on the camper…. Mine is next in line for completion after this Raptor! Got to have big blue ready to roll back to Denver the week of the 14th to pick it up!

Mine will fit inside the bed like this where the tailgate will shut.

I spec’d a much smaller side window though for fear the big one would easily get broken.

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 03-01-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:38 PM   #12
Meatman

Holy crap!
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #13
Billhilly

Was going to ask if you had seen those photos. I guess so. You painting your's blue? Inside toilet or no? You won't know yourself this summer with all the upgrades!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #14
DirtyLarry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billhilly View Post
Was going to ask if you had seen those photos. I guess so. You painting your's blue? Inside toilet or no? You won't know yourself this summer with all the upgrades!
Nah, it is going to be gray like the Rhino lining on the rockers with some desert themed vinyl graphics. Blue looks good on the current topper but with a bigger camper, I think the body color blue would be too much where it would look like a big blue blob. It will have a removable cassette toilet, water heater and outside shower. Instead of a traditional RV type refrigerator I spec’d an aluminum National Luna Weekender 52 Liter Fridge/Freezer that will be mounted on the floor near the entry door (the idea is to keep all the heavy stuff down low to keep the CG as low as possible). The door will actually be offset to the passenger’s side to make room for this fridge/freezer. This is a badass fridge…..just like the ones you all use in the Outback!

You’re right! We are going to be camping in style this summer and won’t even know how to rough it anymore.

Here are a couple sneak peeks at mine.

Rounded corners above the cab instead of squared off edges.

National Luna Weekender 52 Liter Fridge/Freezer

If you remember the Turtle Expedition II truck from the old articles in FOUR WHEELER (back when they actually had articles worth reading). Well, that was my dream truck when I was a kid which you can kind of tell

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 03-01-2011 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #15
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Sweet. Can't wait to see the finished camper!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:06 AM   #16
Billhilly

Now you say about the Rhino lining colour I remember you mentioning that before. Sorry, shoulda looked back through. Pictures look good. I like how you've curved the front corners. To be honest I don't like the shape of the front they are putting on. It's certainly going to be slick when it's done.
Cassette toilet's are meant to be good, and the 12 volt fridge will be great. Pointless setting up with a mains powered/three way fridge when you are going to be set up for the 12 volt, and there ain't no mains where you go anyway!
Oh, (zero stress, just sayin) the 'Outback' is Lara's domain (the land of Oz), we're just the little dot in the bottom right hand corner. Over here you drive too far in one direction you quickly end up in the Pacific.
Have you seen these - http://www.frolisleepsystems.com/index.htm ? Meant to be pretty slick. Saves the mattress sweating as well.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
DirtyLarry

Billhilly,

I hear you on cassette toilets being they are meant to be good, but the reality they really aren’t worth a s#!t…but better than nothing. Chances are this one will never get used unless by some far off chance the boss actually goes with me on a trip. I know where you are at and the Outback isn’t exactly in your back yard but it is much closer to you than us.

We got the tcase but back together today but didn’t have time to install it in the truck yet. Hopefully, tomorrow I’ll get it bolted in and go for a test drive. Also got the ’68 GMC going today after a 5 year hiatus sitting the corner of the shop. Zoomad75 stopped by this afternoon just in time to help get it fired up. Had to get it running as it is getting relocated to the front garage as the blue topper that is coming off is getting moved into the corner where the ’68 has been sitting. Got to make room for the new addition coming home!

Speaking of that….here are a few more baby pictures of the Phoenix

This is my buddies sweet Ram Charger. If you look closely you can tell this Ram Charger and my K10 are built by the same two guys.... the two trucks have a lot in common. He just finished up reworking his rear bumper this week to add a basket for Scepter cans. This Ram Charger is awesome. ¾ ton drivetrain, ARB’s air lockers front and rear, 12,000lb Warn winch, on-board air and many other goodies. The only thing it is lacking is power....the 5.2L is a bit underpowered and will eventually get replaced with something more substantial. He will be reworking my rear bumper shortly to add a tire mount and fuel can basket as well. It will look just like his for the most part. The plan is for us NOT to pull the off-road trailer anymore when we go on our long distance adventures. The trailer gets to be a hassle on tight trails.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:36 AM   #18
Altec
Getcha Pull

Man, I would love to have a glass top like yours, and you are taking yours off. haha.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #19
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Man, I would love to have a glass top like yours, and you are taking yours off. haha.
It might be worth the shipping to buy it considering this top isn't made anymore. I can vouch this lid has held up to everything he's tossed at it.

It was pretty funny to walk into the shop this afternoon and hear a 396 waking up from a 5 year coma. It took a little coaxing but the vintage rat sounded better than it did the last time I saw it move. That was when we both were serving our tour of duty in Detroit and we were throwing our normal block party for the Woodward Dream Cruise. (beer, burnouts and burgers not in that order!)

I'm bummed the snow run for tomorrow got nixed but I'd rather see the beast back in operational form for the run to pick up the K10Casa next week. Besides my customer's from the Westcliffe area say there's only snow accumulation in the trees. Pretty dry and windy up there for weeks.

Just give me a shout tomorrow if you need a hand taking the lid off the truck.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:41 PM   #20
ryanroo

Dirty Larry,

hello from a bit west and a bit south.

just wanted to say that you have a clean truck and i love the build plan.

i have done the 4500 swap a few times, most recently on my M715. i was reading this thread and laughing about how you were having trouble finding the round pattern 205. i had the same issue when i was putting the jeep together. i waited and waited and finally found one on ebay. it was $250 but i had to ship it from Maine...

then of course, days after getting the case from maine i found and bought an 86 K30 parts truck with the same case in it.

anyhow, if you are in the san juans for some wheeling you will have to let me know. we try to get up in the high country as much as possible once the snow is gone.

Ryan

Last edited by ryanroo; 03-06-2011 at 11:48 PM.
ryanroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:04 PM   #21
DirtyLarry

Altec,

Don’t worry… I am only taking it off to replace it with something better that has more room. I thought about selling the topper but it seems that everybody on the classified section of this board and Craigslist peeps think all used toppers should go for $300. Ah, that ain’t happen ‘in with my topper that was over $2500 just 4 years ago so I’ll just keep it.

Thanks ryanroo, I might be interested in that round pattern 205 if you want to get rid of it. If this NV4500 shoots craps I’ll probably go after a reman unit that I would be nervous about cutting the mainshaft like I did on this AA kit for fear it would void the trans warranty. If things come to that someday, I think I’ll go to a round 205 or a 32 spline NP241. That all said, I am keeping my @y@s open for a round 205 or 32 spline 241 just to have around in case.

The good news is the tcase repair did correct about 80% of the noise. I can actually hear the radio while doing 75 MPH now! I think the remaining noise is typical high mileage NV4500 noise. I can live with this. Also found there is a very small trans leak coming from somewhere up high, possibly the trans cover or shift tower. Got to check into that after I make the trip back to Denver to get the camper next week. I’ll start a thread on the Phoenix soon.
Old 03-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #22
jonessmc87

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
The good news is the tcase repair did correct about 80% of the noise. I can actually hear the radio while doing 75 MPH now! I think the remaining noise is typical high mileage NV4500 noise. I can live with this. Also found there is a very small trans leak coming from somewhere up high, possibly the trans cover or shift tower. Got to check into that after I make the trip back to Denver to get the camper next week. I’ll start a thread on the Phoenix soon.
good to hear larry. usually when its a leak up high its the shift tower because a lot of people take those four bolts out and remove the shifter to fill fluid from the top side. those square rubberish/plastic units loose their ability to "squat" over time and it just seeps out there. My roomates dodge does the same thing and he has only had it off two or three times since the truck was brand new.

"Yea, it was a fuel supply problem. A rod came through the block and cut the fuel line."
jonessmc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
Altec
Getcha Pull

If I wasn't a broke butt wiper, I'd be more then willing to pay $2500 for one of those tops. Best looking one that was made. At least, that I have seen.

I'm considering trying to find a soft topper. Since I would kill myself trying to pickup a glass top by myself, plus storing the glass top would be a pain for me I thing canvas is the way to go. Just having trouble finding good soft options...
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:34 AM   #24
BLAZERMAN
Currently Blazerless

I know round pattern 205s are getting hard to come by..this might be an alternative if you cant locate one. http://www.northwestfab.com/tcaseadapters.html
Old 03-10-2011, 10:33 PM   #25
MrBeast
high-Tech Red Neck

Larry, just parused the whole thread, looks like you have a mighty fine truck coming togeather.

I did not see if you used the dodge or the GM tranny, but the dodge NV4500 had issues with the 5th gear nut backing off, and the gear failing. They would get noisy first and then going down the road 5th gear will just stop working.