The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-08-2024, 08:54 PM   #1
GMCRepair

Advice needed

I have the opportunity to acquire two trucks from my father in law.

One is a 67 Chevrolet half ton with a 283 (from what I was told) with a 4 speed manual.

I have with my wife since 2001, and I have never seen this one run or move under its own power.

The other is a 71 GMC half ton with a 350 and an auto transmission. This one I have seen running and driven, but it was more than a decade ago. there are cancer spot on the cab, the bottom of the bed is shot, the dash pad is shot and I know it will need a new seat. It is mechanically stock and complete.

I need some realistic advice as to what to look for in these trucks to see if they are remotely salvageable.

I havent made up my mind as to if I am going to take them yet,

I don't have pictures yet, just looking for some advice.
GMCRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:59 PM   #2
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Advice needed

Well #1 is to inspect everything for rust, window frames, cab corners, etc. etc, body everywhere. Whether or not a rusted body is salvageable is a matter of opinion and ability.

Other then that you want to know the state of the chassis, drive-train, suspension, steering and brakes. And what's been changed since new. Some changes are good to great, but the old parts are gone.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:11 PM   #3
MidLifer

Photos would help a lot. If these trucks have been in the Seattle area their whole lives, rust is a definite possibility. Cab corners, rocker panels and floor pans can all be replaced fairly easily if you have the skills but then you're talking about a repaint. The more troublesome rust area is the windshield frame as stated previously. If you notice any evidence of surface rust around the windshield gasket it's probably rusted underneath and that isn't such a straightforward fix. The drip rails also rust but unless they've been completely neglected that's usually just digging out the old weatherseal, sanding the rust and re-sealing. Lastly, door bottoms should be checked especially if the rockers are rusted. Those are a tougher fix too.

You've been on this forum a long time so I'm assuming you know about these trucks - mechanically there's nothing that can't be fixed and I'm far from the world's best mechanic and I've done most of it myself. Mechanical parts are still mostly available from the FLAPS, and the classic vendors have all the Taiwanesium knick knacks you can't find elsewhere.

I guess the question is what will these trucks cost you, and what will they cost you to get to the condition you want them to be?

Is the 67 a small window? Love me those small window trucks.
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:11 PM   #4
cj847

In my experience, almost any vehicle that has been off the road for more than a decade will take several thousand dollars to get to "dependable driver" status. That is without body work.

Of course, anything is fixable. But if you are working full time and/or don't love the vehicle or don't care for working on cars I would pass.

These trucks are the most desirable models. If you like them, you should get them. Also, it is great when you have a vehicle that was "in the family".

If they are free/cheap and you have a place to store them....

It's all about your wants, skills, money, and time.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 10:32 PM   #5
GMCRepair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidLifer View Post
Photos would help a lot. If these trucks have been in the Seattle area their whole lives, rust is a definite possibility. Cab corners, rocker panels and floor pans can all be replaced fairly easily if you have the skills but then you're talking about a repaint. The more troublesome rust area is the windshield frame as stated previously. If you notice any evidence of surface rust around the windshield gasket it's probably rusted underneath and that isn't such a straightforward fix. The drip rails also rust but unless they've been completely neglected that's usually just digging out the old weatherseal, sanding the rust and re-sealing. Lastly, door bottoms should be checked especially if the rockers are rusted. Those are a tougher fix too.

You've been on this forum a long time so I'm assuming you know about these trucks - mechanically there's nothing that can't be fixed and I'm far from the world's best mechanic and I've done most of it myself. Mechanical parts are still mostly available from the FLAPS, and the classic vendors have all the Taiwanesium knick knacks you can't find elsewhere.

I guess the question is what will these trucks cost you, and what will they cost you to get to the condition you want them to be?

Is the 67 a small window? Love me those small window trucks.
The 67 is the small window cab.

As for the cost, about a year ago I bought my in laws 2001 Tahoe for 1500 bucks.

The deal my father in law proposed is giving back the Tahoe and taking the trucks off his hands as he has come to the realization he will not be able to restore them as he wanted given current health issues.

I had been talking with him for the last 5 years to do something with them.

The 67 came from Montana at least 30 years ago and the 71 is from the Seattle area.

I am leaning to taking the deal as i am handy with tools, and I know I can find body parts.

I am considering selling the 67 and using what I get from it for the 71, but I haven't done an in depth exam of the trucks yet.

Both will have to be towed, as I don't know that I would trust the 71 on the road, I am pretty sure I could get it running.

I hope to get some photos later this week.

Last edited by GMCRepair; 01-08-2024 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-08-2024, 10:34 PM   #6
truckster

I have a strong preference for doing mechanical work over body work. I would choose the truck with the better body. Either truck is going to need tires, refreshed and flushed brakes, a careful inspection of all suspension components, and a good tune-up. If you're interested in the '67, I'd try turning the engine over with a breaker bar (after pulling the spark plugs and squirting your favorite penetrating oil in each cylinder) to see if it's locked up.
Old 01-08-2024, 11:58 PM   #7
dmjlambert

They are both salvageable if they are together and have the doors and tailgate attached. Don't worry about rust. Just fix the engine, transmission, brakes, and drive. If you don't love them a lot driving them like that, someone else will give you enough money for the one you like the least to finance doing more work on the one you keep and really make it nice. Both of them will be worth a lot more if they are running. For me it would be hard to choose between 67 Chevrolet and 71 GMC and it would be hard to let go of one of them. That's my advice. The amount of rust would have to be truly shocking to make them worse than my rusty and cool daily driver 69 Chevrolet half ton.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 12:15 AM   #8
68bowtie

Would he be open to you selling one to fund fixing up the other? That’s what I would do, assuming they aren’t sentimental of course. The 67 is way cooler personally, but very much depends on condition.

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:39 AM   #9
franken

If the OP isn't competent right now to rebuild a carb, brakes, change all fluids, and figure out how to make an engine in a coma rune, this isn't a project they want, need, or can handle.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:13 AM   #10
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
If the OP isn't competent right now to rebuild a carb, brakes, change all fluids, and figure out how to make an engine in a coma rune, this isn't a project they want, need, or can handle.
I disagree. I don't think anyone is born "competent" to work on vehicles (OK, I was close...). We all have to learn, and there's no better way to learn than on a vehicle you have a personal interest in.
Old 01-09-2024, 11:18 AM   #11
dmack91

Another thing to check on is that he has clear titles for both.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:49 PM   #12
MidLifer

Well as you can see there is no shortage of opinions on the Internet - and you know what they say about opinions....

Given what you paid for the Tahoe, if money isn't a major motivator for your father-in-law, you can't really go wrong by buying the trucks and giving it your best shot at repairing them. Rust can be fixed or not fixed - that's your call - so long as it isn't structural, meaning frame rot. And I hadn't ever worked on a car before I bought my first C10 in 2011, and I learned quickly thanks mainly to this forum but also YouTube, HAMB and other resources.

Good luck and please - post photos!!! We all love to see these trucks!
MidLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 02:27 PM   #13
novaX522

Agreed. That’s another thing I love about these trucks. The parts are available and they are easy to work on. Everything I’ve done to mine has been on the garage floor with hand tools.
novaX522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:46 PM   #14
67 twins

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I disagree. I don't think anyone is born "competent" to work on vehicles (OK, I was close...). We all have to learn, and there's no better way to learn than on a vehicle you have a personal interest in.
Yeah I've never seen Franken make a useful comment. Just ones like this.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 11:54 PM   #15
Getter-Done

Totaly
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 twins View Post
Yeah I've never seen Franken make a useful comment. Just ones like this.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:35 AM   #16
jeffahart

I would sit down with wife and decide on one of the vehicles. Me, I would pick the 71. Anyhow pick one, one that you can keep and make nice over the next few years. It is probably best to pick one you can get running fairly quickly. Get it running and run it. Run it and learn to deal with the quirks and never ending needs of an old vehicle. Yes, part of the fun is it's old. It creeks, it's noisy, you'll smell gas and oil. You will learn new four letter words in your quest to keep it running. If you find you don't have a passion for that and your wallet does not afford you to pay someone, you can always sell it.

But, it you don't take one now you may not have the opportunity to get it back a few years down the road.

Post pics!
Good luck!

j
Old 01-12-2024, 12:26 AM   #17
GMCRepair

As with any question posed to the interwebs, the answers are widely varied.

I have given it a lot of thought and I am going to go for taking both of them. While I love the 2001 Tahoe, i feel the trade will help out my in laws more at this point than them trying to sell the trucks to someone else. Really, for both of the trucks $1500 is a fair price for their potential.

I have had two mid 80's dodge Ramchargers in the past, was a diesel Mechanic in the Navy for 10 years plus I took auto shop in high school, Franken. I know my way around the engine bay and drive train, both are 2 wheel drive rigs, so that makes it a bit easier in my opinion.

I am pretty sure with a new battery, a gas can with fresh gas and some ether, I probably could get the 71 fired up, but would not trust it to drive the 45 minutes on the road to get it to my house.

The 67, has not run since some time in the early 90's from what I have been told.

Both trucks hold sentimental value to my father in law, he loves them. He is offering them to me as he feels I would be able to restore them and get them road worthy again, a very humbling vote of confidence. Given the extensive aftermarket support for these trucks (unlike my Ramchargers), I am pretty sure I could do it, but would only be able to focus on one, and that most likely would be the 71.

I haven't had the time to get back to my in laws to look deeper at the trucks, but hope to do so this weekend. I am pretty sure knowing my father in law he does have the titles for both, but if not, we can simply file for a lost title.

Should be an interesting adventure, as I had originally wanted to find a early 70's F-150 to work on, because my Grandpa had one, now I have the opportunity to get a 71 GMC instead, really, a win all the way around.

As for my wife, she is leaving this one up to me as her Dad offered them to me, though it is another project for the list............ but ya never know till ya try.
Old 01-12-2024, 01:11 AM   #18
68bowtie

Good to hear. We will want some pictures of course when you go see them…

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 10:52 PM   #19
HO455
Post Whore

There are at least a half dozen members in your area. You want might make a thread asking for a pair of experienced eyes to take a look at the trucks with you. And member/vendor Classic Heartbeat is not to far away in Olympia.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=808538
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2024, 11:26 PM   #20
PbFut

Last post is a good idea.
You also need to set a level of completion you will be happy with.
I like drivers that are close to restoration quality but by no means perfect.
I can't do a complete restoration because 1, I've not the skill, and 2., my obsessive mind can't allow me to complete something with as many variables as one of these trucks.
I share this as an example. Everyone has a idea of what the result will need to be to allow you to accept what the project as finished.
Be honest with yourself.
I also agree with the idea of, we all had to learn at some point. These trucks are and excellent platform to do so. Also...is it possible one truck would be a good parts donor for the other? Good luck on your journey.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:18 PM   #21
MikeB

If you have the room and can get them for free, or even for a couple $$thousand, take them both!
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 10:29 PM   #22
zicc1835

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
If you have the room and can get them for free, or even for a couple $$thousand, take them both!
X2
zicc1835 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 11:55 PM   #23
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
I have no idea what a "coma rune" is, but based on my experience working and learning on mechanical repairs, I'm reminded of a signature a guy has on a metal working site.
"Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can."

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2024, 01:25 PM   #24
sixty8HDC30

Quote:
None of that stuff takes anything more than a simple tool kit and a couple hours on Youtube, OP found this forum and signed up, they are capable of following a youtube video.

OP, snag those treasures up!
sixty8HDC30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 11:48 PM   #25
GMCRepair

Had some time to go look at the trucks today. They are in more solid shape than I anticipated, they are not perfect or showroom by any means, but the normal areas have rust.

Here are some photos of the 71 GMC.
Attached Images