The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-07-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
scottmitchellrose

70 c10 4x4 oil pan gasket change help

OK- so once again i'm in way over my head. 307 motor- all original. cannot get the oil pan off where it meets the 3 speed manual trans. i hear i have to d/c the motor mounts and lift the motor 3". can i leave it connected to the trans while i do this? will that hurt any u-joints, driveshaft, transfer case?

what size head is on the bolts for the engine mounts- and what is the best way to get to the single bolt on each side of the engine?

Thanks a lot,

Scott
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
mike16

Re: 70 c10 4x4 oil pan gasket change help

disconnect the motor mounts and the tranny mounts. dont struggle with 3 inches of clearance. go with 4x4's to support the engine. you might also need to remove the transmission bell housing dust cover because it can be difficult to remove the oil pan hardware at the rear of the pan. None of my bussiness but you should add a new high volum/high pressure oil pump and shaft while you got it apart.

I might suggest that for all that effort you ought to take the time to replace the timing chain set too.
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
tdangle

Re: 70 c10 4x4 oil pan gasket change help

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike16 View Post
disconnect the motor mounts and the tranny mounts. dont struggle with 3 inches of clearance. go with 4x4's to support the engine. you might also need to remove the transmission bell housing dust cover because it can be difficult to remove the oil pan hardware at the rear of the pan. None of my bussiness but you should add a new high volum/high pressure oil pump and shaft while you got it apart.

I might suggest that for all that effort you ought to take the time to replace the timing chain set too.
Exactly what I did on my 350. Also I highly recommend the 1 piece oil pan gasket.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote