The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2022, 10:12 PM   #1
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!
Sears Penske dwell meter

So being that I have a couple vehicles that still use point style ignition timing, I decided to buy me a dwell meter so I could accurately adjust the point dwell timing. I made my purchase off ebay, the purchase arrived within a a few days and I was really pleased how good of a condition this vintage piece was!! I was very excited so I jotted down to the garage to try it out on my c10 and Nova....well unfortunately it doesn't work. Taking it apart I found an old durscell made by Mallory, 4.3v battery, which looks like a fat AA battery....well of course this 4.3v battery is no longer available. I can find a 3.7v and a 4.5 v replacement. so now I come to my friends and experts on which battery would work well with this meter...will a 4.5v fry it, will a 3.7v work just fine??

I know there are some battery geeks out here that are shaking their heads in disbelief of my question....but your help would be appreciated

thanks, Lenny
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 10:39 PM   #2
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Re: Sears Penske dwell meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by towbar View Post
So being that I have a couple vehicles that still use point style ignition timing, I decided to buy me a dwell meter so I could accurately adjust the point dwell timing. I made my purchase off ebay, the purchase arrived within a a few days and I was really pleased how good of a condition this vintage piece was!! I was very excited so I jotted down to the garage to try it out on my c10 and Nova....well unfortunately it doesn't work. Taking it apart I found an old durscell made by Mallory, 4.3v battery, which looks like a fat AA battery....well of course this 4.3v battery is no longer available. I can find a 3.7v and a 4.5 v replacement. so now I come to my friends and experts on which battery would work well with this meter...will a 4.5v fry it, will a 3.7v work just fine??

I know there are some battery geeks out here that are shaking their heads in disbelief of my question....but your help would be appreciated

thanks, Lenny
I have this one you can have for shipping cost. PM me if you want it
Attached Images

2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:33 AM   #3
HO455
Post Whore

I would say either battery would work. I would bet there isn't any sensitive circuitry inside the meter that is going to care if the voltage is a quarter volt high and those meters probably worked fine until the voltage dropped past 50% of rated voltage. Personally I would go with which one fit the best. And if there's no difference there then cheaper one.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
Keith Seymore

I did a similar swap for the sending unit of my Sun Tach.

Took some crap for it (on this forum, I think) but it seems to be working fine (it's been thirty years, I think).

K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
You might appreciate this little tidbit:

My car still uses the old battery powered sending unit, mounted underhood -

When I got the car running again back in the mid 90's, naturally the batteries were dead and the tach didn't work. I thought "...where am I going to get those old batteries like that?"

Well, I noticed that they were physically about the same size as a modern "AA" size battery, although the modern battery is 1.5V and these vintage batteries were 1.35V.

I asked one of the electrical engineers at work about it and he said "...I'd just put a couple AAs in a flashlight and run 'em down until they're 1.35V".

That's what I did and it's been working fine ever since.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:34 PM   #5
towbar

Location: Marshall, NC....heart of the Appalachians.....aka, Gods country!!

70 CST Short Wide: thank you so much for that offer, I'm hoping the battery will get this unit back up and going again?? Should have a battery in a week or so, if that doesn't help mine, them I may take you up on the offer...once again, thank you for that offer, that's one of the reason I love this site!

HO455: fitment is something I need to work out...finding the right size battery, I think I can spring the terminals to accept a slightly longer one, but the diameter is tight with capacitors and resistors on each side.

Keith: those batteries look similar to mine, a fat looking AA, Mercury type....happy to hear that you had success, I'm going to try it!

Thanks again for the responses guys...I appreciate it very much!
towbar is offline   Reply With Quote