The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-13-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
countr

What urks you when selling these trucks

Seen a post on what urks you on buying one of these trucks, so I thought I would start one on selling a truck.

I will start with does everything work and does it needs tires?
countr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
Shinysideup

Re: What urks you when selling these trucks

Those seem like very good questions
. [_____(O)_|_'|__}>-------[-_(O)__i'___i (O)-]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
No thank you on that lifetime warranty. I don't want a turd for life.
Shinysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
Domingo

Someone will make a offer in a email or text without seeing the truck first
Domingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
slowcpe

"Bottom dollar" as their first response.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
57larry

people who don't show up
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #6
weim55

People who do not read the ad, ie: "project truck, absolutely does not run, will need to be towed or trailered.......

" will it make the drive home?" "Will it pass emissions?" .......... Etc...

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #7
AlbertaClassic

It really irks me when a guy will take up 15 minutes of my time, make an offer, and when I accept it, find some sort of reason to back out. “I’m in Europe for the next two weeks” “My wife wants a new ring instead, sorry” or just plain silence. If you have no intention of buying, don’t waste my time, and don’t make an offer you have no intention of keeping.

Another one, phone calls only please. I prefer to know I’m talking to someone real and not someone from a scam. Up in Canada we have a built in chat on our Kijiji (CAD Craigslist) and it’s worse then email. Almost nobody calls or even texts anymore. Easy to send a message in anomymity and not back up.

Basically, every experience I’ve ever had selling one of these irks me one way or another. It’s pretty bad up in Canada, because the add will get 1000’s of hits within hours of posting if it is a decent truck and deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
AlbertaClassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #8
LEEVON

Any text or email or posting reply "what's your bottom dollar?" is an automatic out for me. Don't care if they do have the cash, it's ignorant. And have some idea of what you're looking at. New to these trucks? Great, let's talk! Ignorant, assuming or unrealistic expectations? Please go away!

I've gotten to the point where it's not as much about the money as it is the person I'm dealing with. If someone is friendly, polite and fair at negotiating we're good. If they're selfish, hard to talk with or a one-sided negotiator I don't care what the offer is I'm out. I had a nice truck for sale last year and somebody who knows these trucks very well came down from several hours away, acted condescending, nit-picked and low-balled all while admitting it was the nicest original bed he'd ever seen. I let him go home with an empty trailer over $200 and he was unhappy and let me know it. The next dude bought it for the same offer and I enjoyed selling it to him. Funny thing the truck was posted in a group a few weeks later and the buyer let everyone know what a great deal he felt it was. Unsuccessful buyer chimed in and said he would have bought it but the seller (me) wouldn't deal. Well dude it was the same price!

Last edited by LEEVON; 08-14-2018 at 02:36 PM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
countr

Adding a bit to mine about the tires. Advertised as very rare truck that needs restored, and then ask does everything work and does it need tires.
countr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 PM   #10
palallin

Selling one would irk me Lord willing, I'll never have to, but, if I do, just having to sell it would make me very unhappy, actually.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:00 PM   #11
cleszkie

It irks me when I'm selling a vehicle that I've worked hard to find and acquire in the first place, took a lot of time and effort to make right, and some dude want to buy it to give to his teenager. Don't get me wrong, if the price is right I will sell. But it irks me just the same. I always had to earn everything I got, and developed a strong sense of appreciation for things. Its just hard watching some kid get handed something and probably take it for granted.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:40 PM   #12
Coley

Smile Re: What urks you when selling these trucks

For me, if I don't like the potential buyer I simply shut things down right there and walk away...wish him well and good luck.

I won't stand around debate or haggle over very low offers, etc....particularly if the potential buyer is disrespectful, indifferent, etc....I just don't have the time for that person.

I am a pretty respectful person when i approach someone about something they are selling and as a result I absolutely expect that in return from anyone enquiring about my stuff.
I always price my stuff fairly....very, very rarely over priced and I also never price my stuff for the low end market tinpot change stuff. I'll leave that to the garage sales.

So I know where the deal can land prior to anyone arriving and anyone who lands within that fence or interest, offers and communication... moves forward.
Those who putz around and attempt to degrade or marginalize the item to lowball it....are walked away from......adios, lol.

When someone is like that, I love simply and quickly saying..."Looks like this is not what you are looking for"...then I literally turn and walk away.
if they back peddle and try to re-engage, and many do...I tell them I have another potential buyer coming the next day that now has priority.

So...price your stuff fairly if you want to sell it, be realistic, do some research and for God's sake be honest about it and yourself, lol.
Then make sure you are respectful to those that show up.....good things happen.
For those that can't communicate within this spectrum....hit the garage sales for entertainment, lol.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM   #13
mike16

when someone nit picks my already low priced vehicle. I just tell them 'You probably would not be happy with it so I think its best that we dont do the deal".

Or his buddy the clown who comes by latter and tries to buy it for him after he shot down the deal

or the idiot who has his wife call and ask all these technical questions while he's clearly heard in the background trying to coach her on what to ask
mike16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #14
weim55

[QUOTE=LEEVON;8322359]Any text or email or posting reply "what's your bottom dollar?" is an automatic out for me. Don't care if they do have the cash, it's ignorant. And have some idea of what you're looking at. New to these trucks? Great, let's talk! Ignorant, assuming or unrealistic expectations? Please go away!

I've gotten to the point where it's not as much about the money as it is the person I'm dealing with. If someone is friendly, polite and fair at negotiating we're good.

This. Had a high school kid come over interested in a complete but non running C10 that had not been on the road for decades. A real eger beaver, just the nicest kid, he had the $$ to buy but not the experience to see the big picture of time and $$ after purchase to get her back to the road. I explained the bigger picture to him and told him it would a good idea to think about overnight, I'd hold the truck for him with a hand shake deposit if he promised to keep me informed. Two days later he came back with a full plan w/expenses (?!) to get her running again. Of course there were some big holes in that plan but I was stunned to see such for site and determination . I made this deal with him: I'll sell you the truck for half the price We agreed-upon, you call me or come by with questions as you go. But you have keep at till you can drive her back to show me. Long story short, A year later he drove that truck back over to my house and we spent a day sorting out details and she was running like a top ! Made my whole day to see how capable and proud that kid was!

Sometimes it's not about the money, and sometimes selling stuff can be a great experience......::

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 08-14-2018, 03:56 PM   #15
weim55

[quote=weim55;8322415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post

I've gotten to the point where it's not as much about the money as it is the person I'm dealing with. If someone is friendly, polite and fair at negotiating we're good.

This. Had a high school kid come over interested in a complete but non running C10 that had not been on the road for decades. A real eger beaver, just the nicest kid, he had the $$ to buy but not the experience to see the big picture of time and $$ after purchase to get her back to the road. I explained the bigger picture to him and told him it would a good idea to think about overnight, I'd hold the truck for him with a hand shake deposit if he promised to keep me informed. Two days later he came back with a full plan w/expenses (?!) to get her running again. Of course there were some big holes in that plan but I was stunned to see such for site and determination . I made this deal with him: I'll sell you the truck for half the price We agreed-upon, you call me or come by with questions as you go. But you have keep at till you can drive her back to show me. Long story short, A year later he drove that truck back over to my house and we spent a day sorting out details and she was running like a top ! Made my whole day to see how capable and proud that kid was!

Sometimes it's not about the money, and sometimes selling stuff can be a great experience......::

Steve weim55 Colorado
Old 08-14-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

If anyone calls me and asks for the lowball price, I say a higher number and tell them I don't lower my price over the phone.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:19 PM   #17
72LB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowcpe View Post
"Bottom dollar" as their first response.
This really annoys me especially when they are on the phone before they look at it.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 PM   #18
jocko

What urks me is some know it all that thinks he knows everything about my truck yet won't stop asking questions...

Oh, wait, that's me when I'm buying a truck! Never mind....

Personally, I despise the whole buying and selling process, can't wait to get it over with regardless of which end of the deal I'm on. But I sure like when it shows up in (or leaves) my driveway!
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #19
S_Gibson

Haggling URK's me. When I sell I state "Price is FIRM", "NO trades" and "Do not waste either of our time if you can not afford it". I spell it out clearly and still....

Before you know it someone calls with a lower offer saying "If I pay cash will you take $XXXX". Seriously, like I'd take someones check or credit card to begin with. Price is FIRM.

Next you have the guy texting an offer to trade you his guitar collection or an even trade for a horse trailer. I can't play guitar and don't own a horse. NO trades.

Haggling! I hate it. I price my stuff fairly and I'm honest about what I'm selling because I do not want to waste my time or someone else's time.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #20
jfnar

I once had a guy hit me with a low ball offer and before I could turn him down he made the stipulation that "only if I would guarantee that he could drive it to California and back with no problems." It was a high mileage 4wd beater that I had used for a hunting truck. I told him that even for a reasonable offer it was sold "as is" and was not even guaranteed to get out of my yard without problems. I told him that if he needed a guarantee there were car lots all over the country that sold new trucks with warranties every day and he would be much happier dealing with them. Conversation was over.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #21
jeffahart

What irks me is when the Sheriff Deputies come to my door two days after the thing is sold, and tell me MY vehicle was involved in an armed robbery.

Where was I two nights ago? Same place I always am.... at home with no alibi!

j
Old 08-17-2018, 02:01 AM   #22
MACO

I am a sales manger at a luxury car dealership and we get all these and more every day all day long. I really think most people consider themselves experts and purchasing vehicles but in reality they don't know the first thing about it.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 PM   #23
Jason Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
What irks me is when the Sheriff Deputies come to my door two days after the thing is sold, and tell me MY vehicle was involved in an armed robbery.

Where was I two nights ago? Same place I always am.... at home with no alibi!

j
Cops called me one time and told me a truck I owned was in a wreck and wondered where I was. Luckily I had reported it sold to the state. Then the girl that was in the truck called me from the hospital and asked me who I was because she didn't know who she was with when the the truck rolled over. Then the fire department sent a letter asking for money to cover their services and then the girls attorney sent me a letter....etc....etc.... Thank god I reported the sale to the state of TX and had the paperwork to prove it. Guy paid me LOTS of cash for the truck and then never transferred it into his name. I gave everybody all the info I had on the guy and never heard from them again. If you live in Texas and sell a vehicle...report it online to the state.

Last edited by Jason Banks; 08-17-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #24
palallin

Sold a car to a dealer locally once, and got a letter from the St. Louis PD telling me they towed my abandoned car and I needed to pick it up (and pay the fees) or they were going to crush it.

I told them I had sold it, and they could crush it for all I cared. The dealership was long out of business at that point.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:56 AM   #25
jkeady

Quote:
Originally Posted by palallin View Post
Sold a car to a dealer locally once, and got a letter from the St. Louis PD telling me they towed my abandoned car and I needed to pick it up (and pay the fees) or they were going to crush it.

I told them I had sold it, and they could crush it for all I cared. The dealership was long out of business at that point.
Almost the same story here except it was a very pushy letter from the tow company after the car had been towed when new owner got a DUI. Almost $2k in fees. Had to spend a whole afternoon contacting tow company, police agencies, DMV, and lawyer. Luckily, like Jason Banks, I reported it as sold immediately after selling and it was on file with DMV. Bundled up all that info, faxed it to tow company with a letter saying I had no interest in vehicle and would not be paying. Never heard back.

RELEVANT CONTENT: Things that irk me when selling a car / truck.

* The biggest one, as many have said: "What's the least you'll take for it?"

*Next is, "Will you trade for my non-running quad and some video games?" No. "No trades" means nothing to quite a few people.

*People who bring a buddy along and buddy spends the whole time making a running commentary on the rig. I don't care if they are there to legitimately advise the person on the purchase- go talk it over in the car or something.

The best car sale I ever made was a Subaru that a college-age woman bought and brought her mother along. She was well-informed, they drove it and went to lunch to talk it over, came back and made a fair offer (that was a bit below my asking), they drove away with a new car at a good price and I felt great about the sale.

'70 Custom Camper / 20
jkeady is offline   Reply With Quote