The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2004, 10:47 PM   #1
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

More Restro pictures.

Finally got to do some work on the frame. Doing a little more tomorrow. Posted pictures at the link below.

Bobbi

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tim_an...QiAECBtdzn5BOS
tim_and_bobbi_blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:06 PM   #2
c-1072

Lookin great

I love all the work your putting in on that thing it should last forever . I am gpoing to use your pics to help me know where the metal used to be on mine

Last edited by c-1072; 11-30-2004 at 11:07 PM. Reason: duh
c-1072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 11:30 PM   #3
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

Thanks c-1072. Glad I can help. If you ever need better pictures, just let me know. I could save you some work. There's a Blazer down the street for sale and it has pretty fair sheet metal already. Just a thought.

Thank you

Bobbi
Old 12-01-2004, 12:40 AM   #4
71RestoRod

Looks awesome!
71RestoRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
dtlilly
Account Suspended

WoW!! When I first saw the pics of the cranes, chains, etc, I thought... what the heck is going on. Then I realized you made your very own Blazer tub rotator rack! Very Cool!
I have a couple questions:

1) Did you pop rivot those rockers and floor patch in?

2) Did that POR15 spray well out of the aresol sprayer... I tried to paint laquer on a truck with those sprayers and had horrible results... and spent more than if I had just hired a professional painter

3) What was that bag of Hex Caps for?

4) Did you like that brand undercoating?

5) Lastly... what do your neighbors think

Last edited by dtlilly; 12-01-2004 at 07:27 AM. Reason: I can't proofread
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #6
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Very nice progress on the Blazer. I was the one who pm'd you on rotating the Blazer. Haven't tried it yet but I will when I finally move back home to start work on my Blazer again.
72CSTC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2004, 01:23 PM   #7
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
That's some "home brew" engineering right there!
Nice work!
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 08:08 PM   #8
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

Thanks

WoW!! When I first saw the pics of the cranes, chains, etc, I thought... what the heck is going on. Then I realized you made your very own Blazer tub rotator rack! Very Cool!
I have a couple questions:

1) Did you pop rivot those rockers and floor patch in?

-- No, they are temp held with drill screws. We will weld them when all the inner box work is completed

2) Did that POR15 spray well out of the aresol sprayer... I tried to paint laquer on a truck with those sprayers and had horrible results... and spent more than if I had just hired a professional painter

-- We brushed the POR15. If you spray it, you have to 'cut' it and Tim wanted it applied 'full strength'. We knew we were going to cover it with something else anyways so 'brush strokes' weren't an issue. We used 2 coats of frame black paint on the frame and 2 coats of Gator Guard II on the tub bottom.

3) What was that bag of Hex Caps for?

-- We are using Stainless Steel bolts though out. Those pictured were used to hold the cross members in.

4) Did you like that brand undercoating?

-- It's not undercoating per say. It's bed liner. We are going to use it in the bed/tub also. Anyways, what's not to like?? It's black, it's sticky, it covers.........

5) Lastly... what do your neighbors think

-- Who cares?? Seriously, our neighbors are the best. We live in a 'normal people' neighborhood and haven't had any problems. In fact one neighbor drops by to see how well we're doing. We have a guy down the street doing a 'CUDA. Kids come by here to get their bicycles fixed. Everybody is happy.

Bobbi

See my Blazer Restro Pictures HERE
Old 12-02-2004, 09:15 PM   #9
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

BobbyK, this is 'homebrew' engineering

Funny you should mention that. Tim is a mechanical engineer and this kind of stuff just comes out his head all the time. Yesterday, I was using a wire brush on some small parts. I happened to mention I'd like to have the grinder stationary so I could use both hands to hold them. You got to see the 'home brew' he came up with. 15 minutes, zero money, and stuff we had laying around. Engineers see the world in a differant lite from the rest of us.

If the picture doesn't attach here, I'll post it on my yahoo link.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/tim_an...QiAECBtdzn5BOS

Bobbi

Old 12-02-2004, 11:26 PM   #10
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.
"home brew engineering...do not try this at home"

That's funny nice fix though.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #11
classicchev

Awesome project you have going. Great to see your wife out there working away, they are few and far to find women like that. My sister is the same way, she can pretty much do anything. Cool shots of you turning your tub over, was that a real pain or wass it easy. That is my next step, but I would like to sandblast first. Good to see a "garage" project, are you painting the Blazer in the garage also. I painted my truck in my garage, so anything is possible. Keep up the good work. Darren
classicchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #12
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

classicchev

Thanks Classicchev. Glad to hear there are other women in the world, like me, who enjoy working on trucks. My husband does help me out some but I'm doing the most of this by myself.

As to answer your question, it is real easy to use the 'tub rotator' as it has come to be called. You just have to keep an eye on the windshield frame and the rocker panel to be sure they don't hit the ceiling or crane. Be sure to put the plywood in between the crane and the body. You'll be surprised how easy it is to rock the body around once the crane has the weight.

We sandblasted parts of it in our carport (we don't have a garage). Check out the 'sandblast tent' we built out of tarps.

We plan to paint it ourselves. If it don't look good, we'll have a body guy do it over.

Thanks for the reply

Bobbi

Old 12-04-2004, 05:45 PM   #13
classicchev

Wow, I take that first comment back. I am impressed that you are letting your HUSBAND help, way too cool. Keep up the great work. I used base clear when I painted my truck, so that I could wet sand and polish any imperfections out.
Good luck
Old 12-04-2004, 06:19 PM   #14
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

paint

I'll diffenantly get back with you on the paint. That's the one thing neither Tim or I have done much of. We are kind of cheating a bit. We plan to bed liner as much as possible on the inside but the outside will have to be right. I figure I'll try it and if doesn't turn out, I'll drive it down to the paint shop like we always do.

It's ok about the wife/husband thing. I know it's kind of unusual for a woman to be involved in old truck building. It's always been one of Tim's hobbies and my dad worked at Chevy for 20 years (he actually built these trucks at the factory) so we have something in common I guess.

Bobbi

Old 12-05-2004, 02:29 AM   #15
classicchev

I think you should change your user name, that is what mislead me. Should read Bobbi and Tims Blazer.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:58 PM   #16
tim_and_bobbi_blazer

classicchev

I would, it's just that 'tim_and_bobbi' has always been our handle and everything we do together is named 'tim_and_bobbi'. It's also our 'ebay' handle. Just keeps things simple.

I'll get back with you on the paint. We should be there in a couple weeks.

Bobbi

Old 12-05-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
classicchev

I spray in my shop (garage) all the time. As I build custom cabinets, I also applly the finishes, I have sprayed everything from latex, oil based, urethanes, lacquer, and probably on of the toughest is Endura. I have no complaints on the finished product, and considering my "spray booth" I get a great finish. I use a turbine HVLP, a Lemmer product, and it works great for me.
I would be glad to help you out whenever I can, just ask. Thats the cool thing about the boards.

Darren
Old 12-11-2004, 08:24 PM   #18
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Looks damn good keep up the good work..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote