The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-14-2015, 05:54 PM   #1
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Started prepping the rear frame - lots of questions???? please

(1971 Chevy Custom Deluxe). Aircraft Paint Remover and lacquer thinner, while the bed is off........Fun.

A few questions?

1. Are there any poly/rubber/fiber bushings for the original leaf springs? I don't see anything that's not metal..............but.

2. Can I remove the u-bolts mounting the leaf springs to the rear axle without removing the leaf springs? If so, do I need to lift the rear end to remove/assemble? Considerations?

3. Can I move the truck (garage to driveway) with the rear shocks off? Considerations?

4. In your opinion, what grit sandpaper should I finish with? I'm using Master Series primer and top coat, if it matters. If I understand them right, they recommend rough. Just double checking, I suppose.

Green but learning. Thanks for any info.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Started prepping the rear frame - lots of questions???? please

1.Should be able to get rubber bushings no problem for the leaf springs.
2.Yes you can unbolt the rear U-bolts just make sure to have the truck
supported by jack stands
3. The shocks can be taken off and the truck can be driven or in your case pushed out. The shocks are not nearly as important on a leaf sprung truck as compared to a coil sprung one. The shock serve as a damper to soften the bounces caused by bad roads. In a leaf spring truck the leafs store energy differently than coil spring the leafs will bounce a couple of times [without shocks] while a coil spring truck will bounce and keep bouncing for a while. so the short answer is yes you can move the truck without shocks.
4. Start the sanding with 80 grit then go to a 180 grit or 220 grit once all the 80 grit work is done. The 80 grit will take off almost all the stuff[assuming it is clean] then always go behind 80 grit with a softer pad like the 180 to 220 to slick off what the 80 grit "stirred up"
Now Green doesn't hurt and question just mean you want to try to do it right the first time. If you need anymore help I don't mind questions and feel that there are no stupid ones, how else are we to learn. Good luck Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
volksworld

yes there are rubber bushings in the ends of the leaf springs...the axle is mounted under the springs so put it on stands,remove the shocks and u-bolts ,brake hose and parking brake cables and lower it on a floor jack...or just roll it away on the tires...you'd only need to lift it or disconnect the shackles if someone had lowered it with an axle flip kit...shocks do not support the weight of the truck and can be moved without them...x2 on 220
Old 06-14-2015, 08:20 PM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Thanks a lot guys. I'm still tempted to replace the leaf springs.

I was thinking it would be nice to spray it off before sanding, but the more I think about it, I should remove as much paint as possible, wash it down, and then leave it in the garage to do all the rest.

BTW, I was surprised to see the original wire harness clips to frame have a plastic coating. They were painted, but with the paint off they're in perfect condition. Tan in color. I think I'll tape em off, paint what little metal is exposed.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-14-2015 at 08:26 PM.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:25 PM   #5
SS Tim

There is the option of having your leaf springs rebuilt. Cleaned, inspected, re-bushed and re-arched to spec. IMHO old spring steel was much better!
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
There is the option of having your leaf springs rebuilt. Cleaned, inspected, re-bushed and re-arched to spec. IMHO old spring steel was much better!
Interesting thought. I may know just the shop to do it. Thanks.

The more I think about it the more stuff I'm willing to take off. I may even remove the exhaust. Just seems to be a big pain in the arsch to try and prep/finish while it's on. It's being replaced anyway. I suppose I can have it towed when ready. I've never even removed a cover from a differential. Just watched a video, looks pedestrian. Now if I could just remember, limited slip or not.

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 06-14-2015 at 10:18 PM.