The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-14-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
c10sport

1989 GMC Sierra SportSide

Sierra isn't a show truck but she does show off my mod skills.

A few pics of how she looked when she hit the road.

How she sits today, not much different except a set of 15x8 squarebody rallies.

How she will look one day only in the original Brandywine/Garnet Red colour. I was looking for a 1988 GMC but I couldn't pass up the truck though it's one year newer and only diehards would notice the differences. (radio and HVAC colours). There were a few Brandywine/Garnet Red replicas made.

I only paid $800. Needing an engine rebuild. For $300, I bought a good running 350 TBI and switched them out. Has never left Texas ever. Two previous owners, both older folks. No rust what so ever except a tiny bit of surface rust here and there from the peeling paint.
Old 03-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
c10sport

Re: 1989 GMC Sierra SportSide

List of mods/cars they came from:

Compass/temp/Homelink/Map lights rear view mirror: 2005 Dodge Avenger
Underhood storage box: 1996 GMC Sierra
Underhood reel out lamp: 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
Lower steering shaft: 1988 Jeep Cherokee
Wiper motor: 1998 Chevrolet Suburban
Wheels: 1981 Chevrolet K5 Blazer
Steering wheel: 1986 Chevrolet Corvette
Steering column parts: 1989 Cadillac DeVille
Stereo amp with AUX input: 1992 Buick Park Avenue
Cupholders: 1994 Chevy Silverado C1500
Gauges: 1992 GMC Sierra C1500
Pass A pillar trim and grab handle: 1997 Chevrolet C2500
Rear sway bar: 1999 Chevrolet Suburban
Spare tire: 1991 Chevrolet Caprice
Auto-down window: 1995 Pontiac Bonneville
wind noise reducing antenna: 1996 Chevrolet Blazer
Remote Keyless Entry: 1995 Pontiac Grand Prix
Interior dome lamp override: 1992 Chevrolet Suburban

Sway bar and spare. I hate having a spare in the bed and I hate having a spare that hangs below the bumper.

Gauges and tilt/tele wheel. (the speedo needle flipped back over once I took the truck out)

Underhood light:

Mirror:

Underhood storage box:
Old 03-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #3
c10sport

Future mods include a 1992-94 Bonneville bench seat, later heated mirrors, who knows what else. I have been contemplating integrating a 2002 Trans Am Body Control Module.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
c10sport

New pics. Certainly not the prettiest girl at the ball, but she's curvy enough to make heads turn.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
dragginmetal
here, just not logged in

Looking good. Keep it up. I'm following you.
dragginmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
c10sport

Thanks!

I must be doing something right, I've had no less than 5 offers to buy her just this week. I'm guessing the working A/C has something to do with that as it was pretty hot here until today.

Got her a new seat last week for $20.

Except for a major cleaning, new speakers and I'd like to find a set of 1992-94 Blazer/Yukon/Suburban door panels, the interior is about finished.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Great build, I've always liked integrating parts from other vehicles(especially different makes and/or models), and I have a couple questions: How much room does the tilt/tele column mod take? Is the steering wheel closer to you now? Did the Vette wheel compensate any?

Is the auto down window mod in the switch, or is it a module that could be obtained from other cars that have it, and use the original(truck) switch?

Remote keyless entry: Is that a module too, hopefully? Do you have to find one with the key and doorlocks to match?

I own 3 of these vehicles and change parts around frequently, altho most of mine are simple upgrades from newer models of the same platform. I have done the rearview mirror, Hi-4 headlights, sunvisors (Chevy Astro IIRC), cupholder, Jeep lower column, Escalade wheels, some others on my DD Yukon, but you have taken it to a new level. Love the OEM low buck approach!

Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.

What about the stereo amp? Is that the whole unit that fits in the original dash opening without modification, or a separate unit that could be hidden anywhere?

Thanks for the info in your thread and keep us posted as you find more great mods!

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 08-11-2014 at 06:28 AM.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 AM   #8
c10sport

Cool Re: 1989 GMC Sierra SportSide

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Great build, I've always liked integrating parts from other vehicles(especially different makes and/or models), and I have a couple questions: How much room does the tilt/tele column mod take? Is the steering wheel closer to you now? Did the Vette wheel compensate any?
Thanks!
The Vette wheel is about 1/4" closer when it's fully retracted. The wheel is slightly smaller than the original wheel but much thicker (which makes it a lot more pleasurable to drive, IMO.)

Quote:
Is the auto down window mod in the switch, or is it a module that could be obtained from other cars that have it, and use the original(truck) switch?
I did a write-up on this on another board. The module is separate and very simple to install in one or both doors.

www.gmsquare body . com/forum/showthread.php?t=8691

Oh this is just retarded to block links to other forums...The above link without the spaces takes you to my writeup.

Quote:
Remote keyless entry: Is that a module too, hopefully? Do you have to find one with the key and doorlocks to match?
It is a module and the exact same one used in later trucks. I had to add the later relay to get it all to work and I also put in a factory Goodwrench alarm that works with the RKE system.

Quote:
What about the stereo amp? Is that the whole unit that fits in the original dash opening without modification, or a separate unit that could be hidden anywhere?

Thanks for the info in your thread and keep us posted as you find more great mods!
The amp is also the exact same as the amp it would be replacing that's under the dash. I like the Buick amp because it has a MUCH cleaner sound than the original. I just grabbed one from a 1991-93 Park Avenue/LeSabre with an EQ cassette player - Olds 88 and 98 would work as well as would one from a CD player but those are hard to find and when you do, you can sell it for big bucks as it's the exact same as the Typhoon CD player - I bought the whole radio for $8 and only used the amp which is detachable and then modded it for the AUX input (which was NOT easy!) and I ran the cable for that out the ashtray.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:20 PM   #9
c10sport

First and second car shows.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
c10sport

Hanging out at the Top Notch.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
1badgmc

Nice. Somewhere I have a pic of my truck parked under that sign from '98. That was before my digital days.
1badgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #12
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10sport View Post
Hanging out at the Top Notch.
Alright, alright, alright....
Old 08-08-2014, 01:01 AM   #13
c10sport

I can't wait to get these installed.

Next week though, new hinge pins and bushings as well as door strikers as mine are getting badly worn and rattling. Only rattle in the truck. My friend who has a brand new Dodge Ram was very impressed with how quiet it is for a 25 year old truck even compared to his new one.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
joecool

I would be interested in how hard the mirror setup was to install, I have a 98 and I am not an electrical genius. I assume the wires run under the headliner? Does the factory computer have all the connections or are there splices to build?
Thanks.
joecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:40 AM   #15
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Jay, I got the relays for the windows a couple months ago, finally got around to the install today. Your writeup was invaluable, as I had no idea what to do just from looking at the relays. I put 2 on the D/S door, so I have auto down on both windows from the driver's seat, gonna get another and install it on the P/S door. I sure wish there was a how to for the amp and RKE upgrades also, an "electronically challenged" guy like me needs it I also have a Suburban sway bar waiting for me to put it on, and when I go back for the window module I'm gonna try to find the amp and RKE stuff, if I can figure out what parts I need. Also gonna hit all the trucks looking for anything I can use, who knows? I'd never seen the underhood storage box before, will keep an eye out for one of those. Most of the vehicles at the Pull-A-Part are pretty well picked over by the time I get to them it seems like. Your truck and your mods are a real inspiration to me, keep posting please!

Last edited by TennesseeZ; 08-11-2014 at 06:41 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:35 AM   #16
c10sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecool View Post
I would be interested in how hard the mirror setup was to install, I have a 98 and I am not an electrical genius. I assume the wires run under the headliner? Does the factory computer have all the connections or are there splices to build?
Thanks.
If yours has the base mirror, it will involve some wiring. If it has a compass or compass/temp mirror already, it will be a little easier.

Quote:
Jay, I got the relays for the windows a couple months ago, finally got around to the install today. Your writeup was invaluable, as I had no idea what to do just from looking at the relays. I put 2 on the D/S door, so I have auto down on both windows from the driver's seat, gonna get another and install it on the P/S door. I sure wish there was a how to for the amp and RKE upgrades also, an "electronically challenged" guy like me needs it I also have a Suburban sway bar waiting for me to put it on, and when I go back for the window module I'm gonna try to find the amp and RKE stuff, if I can figure out what parts I need. Also gonna hit all the trucks looking for anything I can use, who knows? I'd never seen the underhood storage box before, will keep an eye out for one of those. Most of the vehicles at the Pull-A-Part are pretty well picked over by the time I get to them it seems like. Your truck and your mods are a real inspiration to me, keep posting please!
You should have put the second relay in the passenger door. I think you may have a problem if you put the two relays on one circuit.

I have put some write-ups on the 454SS/NATC board as well. I keep working on them. I will have the RKE write-up done soon. TO install it, you will need a power lock relay, as trucks without RKE didn't get them but SUVs did.

I'd do a write-up on the amp but my schematics were destroyed by water and I need to get another set. This is the type of stereo I got the amp from:

The amp just unbolts from the top of the unit and I have yet to come across a bad one from one of these.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10sport View Post
You should have put the second relay in the passenger door. I think you may have a problem if you put the two relays on one circuit.

I have put some write-ups on the 454SS/NATC board as well. I keep working on them. I will have the RKE write-up done soon. TO install it, you will need a power lock relay, as trucks without RKE didn't get them but SUVs did.
My Yukon actually has 2 (mostly) separate circuits on the D/S for the windows. I installed the first per your how to, then got to checking with a test light, There is a blue wire (white tracer) that supplies power to the pass window switch, just like the pink wire does for the D/S, and of course the up and down wires are separate. the only thing I could see is they're probably both coming from the same fuse. In any event, it should be no different than rolling both windows up, or down, at the same time without the relays, which I've done for years. For safety's sake tho, I only activate one side at the time now just to be safe, but so far no problems. Thanks for your concern tho, and thanks again for the concise, easily understood writeup, your's make it easy, wheras some are not nearly as easy to follow.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #18
chevyboy73

got a write up on how you swapped your gauge cluster? id love to upgrade mine? i love the look of your truck. also have any more interior pics?
chevyboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #19
stevejohnson48

Quote:

I own 3 of these vehicles and change parts around frequently, altho most of mine are simple upgrades from newer models of the same platform. I have done the rearview mirror, Hi-4 headlights, sunvisors (Chevy Astro IIRC), cupholder, Jeep lower column, Escalade wheels, some others on my DD Yukon, but you have taken it to a new level. Love the OEM low buck approach!

Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.

// TennesseeZ // You say your Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.??/ Have you looked into this change over ??/ Cost, labor ECT. ??/ I've got a 90 Z 71 Silverado and I'm really interested in eliminating the brake fade ( Pulling trailers ) and I heard of this as a possible remedy for the brake reaction time that and disc brakes all the way around ( a lot more cash ) So the word is that this units ( Brake boosters ) came stock on the 1 1/2 ton models ??/
stevejohnson48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #20
c10sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy73 View Post
got a write up on how you swapped your gauge cluster? id love to upgrade mine? i love the look of your truck. also have any more interior pics?
No, I hadn't done one, I found one on another board and not sure where it disappeared to, I will try to locate it.

Here's the latest pic. Showing off the tilt/tele wheel, mirror, gauges, cupholders, RKE, the AUX input. It's amazing that I've been able to find nice interior pieces so far and that my dash doesn't have a single crack in it even after baking in the Texas sun for a year. The carpet is really nice too. I will end up putting in 1992-94 Suburban/Blazer door panels when I find some decent ones so I can add power mirrors.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2014, 09:22 PM   #21
c10sport

Replaced the o-ring in the back of my 700r4, usually when I parked her in the driveway she would leak a quart in minutes, not anymore.

http://www.73-87.com/7387garage/drivetrain/yokeleak.htm
Old 08-30-2014, 11:01 AM   #22
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejohnson48 View Post
// TennesseeZ // You say your Planning on the hydroboost and brake upgrade soon also.??/ Have you looked into this change over ??/ Cost, labor ECT. ??/ I've got a 90 Z 71 Silverado and I'm really interested in eliminating the brake fade ( Pulling trailers ) and I heard of this as a possible remedy for the brake reaction time that and disc brakes all the way around ( a lot more cash ) So the word is that this units ( Brake boosters ) came stock on the 1 1/2 ton models ??/
The hydroboost is on the back burner at this time due to some other issues with the truck,m had to spend some & on the ignition, tires, and other stuff just to keep it on the road. Also have to get the ABS figured out first too. The light is on and the brakes as they are are negligibile. There's alot of info on the swap on other websites, and I think I'm gonna go with new or rebuilt parts from the get-go instead of doing the junkyard thing. Seems like the way to go for the money and work. Planning to go with the hydroboost and upgrade to the better calipers also, yes they were stock on the 1 tons and some HD 3/4 tons also IIRC, but I think it will be much simpler to just order the correct stuff foom O'reillys or somewhere and be done with it. There's plenty of info telling exactly what to order on the other message boards, even the part numbers and everything. Try fullsizechevy.com, and follow the links.

Yeah the brake fade is really something I should have addressed well before now. I personally don't plan to do the rear discs, seems like too much $ at this time. Some are working on adapting available parts (mounts) instead of custom fabbing them, which, if accomplished, will get the cost down and I might do it then if the cost/work/benefit factors are favorable. The front brakes do like 80-85% of the braking anyhow, so that's the place to concentrate first, to me.

Have you considered the Hi-4 headlites yet? A cheap and simple upgrade that should be right up your alley considering your electrical skills, and yeilds outstanding benefits for the work. I personally took it to another level by wiring in a toggle switch (mounted at the bottom of the dash near the parking brake release), so I can have either just the low beams, just the hi beams, or both. Has worked out well so far and is one of my favorite mods. Now maybe some auto-dimming headlights adapted from a Caddy or something?

Old 08-30-2014, 10:32 PM   #23
c10sport

Quote:
Have you considered the Hi-4 headlites yet? A cheap and simple upgrade that should be right up your alley considering your electrical skills, and yeilds outstanding benefits for the work. I personally took it to another level by wiring in a toggle switch (mounted at the bottom of the dash near the parking brake release), so I can have either just the low beams, just the hi beams, or both. Has worked out well so far and is one of my favorite mods. Now maybe some auto-dimming headlights adapted from a Caddy or something?
Both are on the to-do list.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 AM   #24
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Enjoying your build and the little things added. Truck looks good.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:20 AM   #25
c10sport

Well. I said I wasn't doing any mods for awhile but I was wrong. A set of Escalade mirrors fell in to my hands for cheap so now she will be getting power heated and auto-dimming side mirrors.