The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds 88-98

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
90schevyman

92 cab conversion to 96

So I'm looking for some input on this. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have a 92 350 TBI Manual 5 Speed. It has been an amazing truck, my dad bought it back in 93 with very few miles on it. He has recently given me the truck for a project/daily driver. I have a car that I use to commute to work so its not a typical daily driver. Anyhow what I am wanting to do is over the years and through my siblings and my own teenage years it has taken a beating and has developed some cancer in the cab. I recently just acquired a 96 that had the front end destroyed and the frame is ruined. What i was wanting to do is take the cab from the 96 and place it on my 92 frame. I know I'm going to have some major work done since the 92 is a manual and the 96 is a automatic. My main concern is wiring. I would like to keep the newer interior of the 96 if possible since the interior of mine is falling apart. The engine is already gone out of the 96 but according to the VIN it had the 5.7L in it as well but I'm not for sure if it was a vortec or not. switching out the ECM is no big deal but I have been told that the wiring harness for the vortecs runs all the way throughout the dash. I don't know much about that. If anyone has ever tried anything like this or knows I would greatly appreciate the assistance.
90schevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:43 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: 92 cab conversion to 96

The sheet metal was the same but that was it. The Wiring crossed two different generations between those years and yes the 96 would have had the vortec type motor in it and it wiring like I said was all different than before and so was the wiring and Body control module. The best way to go would be to use the cab but take the stuff out of the 92 cab and put back into the 96 cab after you put it back on to the frame. In the builder world it happens all the time in fact I have about three in the drive way that need the same treatment right now, So if you would like to practice before you start yours come to see me and I'll guide you. Jim[ just kidding, but y'all are always welcome at my shop]
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #3
90schevyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
The sheet metal was the same but that was it. The Wiring crossed two different generations between those years and yes the 96 would have had the vortec type motor in it and it wiring like I said was all different than before and so was the wiring and Body control module. The best way to go would be to use the cab but take the stuff out of the 92 cab and put back into the 96 cab after you put it back on to the frame. In the builder world it happens all the time in fact I have about three in the drive way that need the same treatment right now, So if you would like to practice before you start yours come to see me and I'll guide you. Jim[ just kidding, but y'all are always welcome at my shop]
Well dang I was really hoping to use the interior of the 96 I like it so much better than the 92 plus its in way better shape.
90schevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
bonnieclyde100

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90schevyman View Post
Well dang I was really hoping to use the interior of the 96 I like it so much better than the 92 plus its in way better shape.
so what did you decide to do about the interior part of your cab switch
bonnieclyde100 is offline   Reply With Quote