The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-01-2019, 03:08 PM   #1
nadodave

Clamshell tailgate lock

I converted my barn door panel to clamshell, and never had the key for the lock on the lower door. My favorite locksmith is telling me that re-keying it will be a challenge. Does anybody know of a source for a replacement lock button?

Thanks
nadodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #2
bloo

Re: Clamshell tailgate lock

Maybe try another locksmith? Is it extremely corroded to the point it wouldn't work with a key? There are only so many key combinations that exist for the 1936-up GM locks. Dealers used to have complete sets of keys. Some locksmiths do now.

Isn't there a locksmith right here on the forum?

My favorite locksmith fixed my button a long time ago. It had been hit and bent into an oval, yet still he managed to fix it. That was probably 1987 and it still works. I would send you to him, but unfortunately he has passed on.

As a longtime clamshell owner IMHO put the barn doors back on. The clamshells are cheap and flimsy, and if you were planning to use it as an actual truck tailgate (like I do), you are going to be disappointed. It is nice having a tailgate, I'll give ya that. Mine was all broken up and repaired badly when I got the truck, and it is worse now. I can't even figure out how to begin fixing it, because there is no solid metal anywhere, just thin sheetmetal like a door.

Good luck getting your lock fixed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRva7z8pvwc

Last edited by bloo; 08-02-2019 at 12:05 AM.
bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
nadodave

Thanks for the info. I think they might be sandbagging me. I remember making my own keys in the olden days by sooting up a blank and then turning it in the lock to find out where the pins were. Giving them a few more days and then going elsewhere.

I do understand your comments on the clamshell set up. I have so much energy invested in it at this point I don't want go back. Besides, when was the last time you saw a clamshell panel ?

Dave
Old 08-01-2019, 11:24 PM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

No need to look any further than here on the forum.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=630654
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #5
nadodave

Thank you Captainfab for the link! I called my locksmith and got the lock re-keyed right away. But as I was installing it, I discovered the latch on the right side wasn't moving, so foolishly, I decided to remove it. Apparently that latch had not been touched in about 57 years. Had to drill out the screws and then retap the threads. Haven't done that in a while. Then, after lubing it up and thinking everything was working, I closed the tailgate - which is now stuck. It appears I will have to adjust the striker plates! Anyway, good progress!
Old 08-06-2019, 12:56 AM   #6
oem4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
No need to look any further than here on the forum.

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=630654
I'll back up Captainfab's recommendation for the LocDoc. This guy knows our trucks, does quick work and won't rip you off. Five star service!
Oh, and no way I'd ever trade my tailgate for barn doors. Never!
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
nadodave

To close the loop on this, my local locksmith got motivated enough to rekey the lock. In so doing, I discovered that there was nothing wrong with the lock mechanism, it was just locked. Worse, after finding a new piece, I discovered I had a spare! Thanks for the help.