The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-20-2011, 04:26 PM   #51
BIGBLU 72

Re: i thought this would be a fun topic...post your "looks" stories..

welp i got my first negative comment! see i drive my rig to college occasionally. so im getting gas and some "tree huggin" lookin fellas walk outta the station and say "Hey asshole thanks for killing the Earth! why dont you get into the 21 century!" I had to grit my teeth and flip them the bird! i hate Al Gore!
Old 01-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #52
Keith Seymore

My '87 is my daily driver, so I get lots of "exposure" and opportunities for thumbs up.

The interest seems to ramp up particularly around Woodward Dream Cruise time...

My favorite is when I am driving across the GM Tech Center property to my office. There are often groups of people out walking around the ponds and I have some of the "older" (ie, my age) women give me a big thumbs up and a wave. I always think to my self "...geez, I'm just going to work".

(lol)
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-20-2011 at 11:11 PM.
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 PM   #53
FoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBLU 72 View Post
welp i got my first negative comment! see i drive my rig to college occasionally. so im getting gas and some "tree huggin" lookin fellas walk outta the station and say "Hey asshole thanks for killing the Earth! why dont you get into the 21 century!" I had to grit my teeth and flip them the bird! i hate Al Gore!
Hahahaha nice! Yeah i'm afraid to drive mine to college...might get vandalized by ELF or something... you see, i live in CA. damn tree-huggers! ha
Old 01-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #54
Keith Seymore

This one is kinda long, but a personal favorite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Wendy's story -

I had something funny happen a few weeks ago, back in the November timeframe, that I haven't shared with you guys yet.

I had some errands to run in support of getting ready to go to Chicago (to the Muscle Car Nationals) so I decided to grab some lunch and take the afternoon off. I almost never go out for lunch and I never EVER stop at the Wendy's closest to my house - but - a bacon cheeseburger sounded pretty good so I stopped in. I pulled into the parking lot and parked way in the back, away from everybody else, as is my custom now that I am driving my restored pickup.

If you've been following this thread than you already know my little truck is a red Chevy regular cab 2wd shortbox. Because of that it was only natural I noticed, as I pulled in, a guy followed me in a newer (GMT800 style) pickup, also a red Chevy regular cab 2wd shortbox. He parked back kind of where I was, next to me but leaving a respectful distance between his truck and mine.

After I finished my burger (...which was excellent, by the way...) I walked back out and I noticed his truck was still sitting there. I didn't see him come or go so I looked around a bit as I was walking and right then he came out of the restaurant. He caught up to me and spoke first, saying "...hey, that's a sweet little truck!" or something like that.

I confided that I had noticed his truck , too, so we spent several minutes talking about (red) Chevy pickups, then onto working for GM and living in the area. I told him (gradually) about restoring the truck through the summer, giving him short snippets of info and then responding in more detail as he asked more follow up questions.

I haven't mentioned this yet but, because I was heading to the Muscle Car Nats that weekend, and because I wanted the author Darwin Holmstrom to sign my book, I had my big GTO book laying in the front seat of the truck.

As the pickup truck conversation died down a bit, he said "....I see you've got the new GTO book. Have you had a chance to look at it much?".

I didn't tell him that I'd had it since May but did indicate that I had flipped through it a time or two.

At that point he said, matter of factly: "My car is in it". Surprised, I said "really, which one!?!".

His car is the red '61 Catalina, shown early in the book on pages 40 - 45. He got pretty good coverage spanning over several pages.

So now the conversation was off and running again, this time talking about Pontiacs, and how he got the car painted a year ago, and how the motor is out now (spun a cam bearing) and going back together. I told him my car was on page 99 and that we did the photo shoot in November of '07 pretty much across the street from where we were currently standing. We marveled at the fact that we lived only a few miles apart and never had met before, and how unusual it was for us to meet under these circumstances.

My car:

I bet we stood in that Wendy's parking lot for almost an hour before we finally decided we'd better get going, parting ways but vowing to stay in touch.

That was one of the most bizarre chance encounters (and one of the most enjoyable) in recent memory....

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:34 PM   #55
2003 silverado

I just finished reading all the stories, I confess Iam one of the stares/conversations/
thumbs up guys.I have owned a first gen Blazer since I was 19.Most were driveable,one I tore apart,and still have in pieces.This last one( In pics )Is my 5th.I have chased down blazers for over 20yrs looking to buy,or to chat. Its amazing how you can spot them from a distance,with there WHITE TOPS.I could only Imagine the looks at my blazer when I towed It from Long Island NY and got lost on way home in the center of
Manhatten LOL.I got Lots of stares and thumbs up driving down the NJ turnpike.
1997 Ford focus (Beater)
2003 ford Taurus (student)
2014 Ford Fusion HYB (wife)
2003 Jetta ( Student)
2003 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #56
hoopty-cuztom

well thats just great i already have these attention problems with my car, i get questioned everywhere i go and now yall are telling me its gonna be the same way when i get the blazer on the road,lol
car 89 honda civic
hoopty-cuztom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:16 PM   #57
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

when one guy ask for my number cause he was interested in buying it i told him i just got it, its paid for, and i dont want to sell it. But if you are serious about buying it lets go to the bank and see if you can get out enough money to chang my mind. Dont touch the zipper on your fanny pack im not writing my phone number im just gonna write $$,$$$.$$

When i first brought it home my landlord (50 year old lady) asked what the hell that ugly thing was. I educated her as politely as possible. When she saw it with the top off and a cooler of ice and beer and fishing rods hanging out she changed her mind. The flat ochre paint is pretty ugly, i will admit. I almost forgot to mention she has an 84 toyota van, 2 tone beige and rust, with light weight invisable rockers.

Lots of thumbs up wherever i go. My first friend i told about it called dibs on it. I let him borrow it when he wants. One night at the drag races he was driving around the pits with 19 people in it. I thought the springs were effed for sure but they came right back up.
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:21 AM   #58
Torrey72
Rollin in my K5 toaster

Quote:
That is so frigging funny! I would have been on the ground.
I'm such a smart ass. I would have just pumped a gallon of gas on the ground as I waived at him with a smile on my face
Torrey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #59
truckster

I stopped to get gas the other day and there was an Acura SUV in the next lane. There was guy and girl out by the pump, and she was holding on to him. As soon as I drove up, he kept staring over her shoulder, checking out the K5.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #60
FoxHound

It finally happened! Someone asked me if I had chopped the top off my "truck." Lol
Old 04-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #61
matthew79

bump for anymore look stories! This is my fav thread..
matthew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #62
johnnywagon
Sofa King. We, Todd, Ed.

Yes, my Blazer is big and obnoxiously bright yellow, I used to drive a 10 second Pro-Street Chevy Luv that would lift the front tires on the street but no car has ever generated more attention than the Rat Wagon does now. Always gets thumbs up, pointing, and rubber necking.
Attached Images

71 Blazer One Ton
65 Chevelle Station Wagon x2
59 Belair 2 Door
71 Chevy Open Road Van RV

www.myspace.com/johnnywagon

Last edited by johnnywagon; 04-08-2011 at 03:29 PM.
johnnywagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:41 PM   #63
romarti0825

Went to the gas station today in my Blazer and after the guy told my how nice my Blazer look, he started to tell me the story about the one that got away. His 69 3/4 ton long bed he had bought from the original owner back back in 1980 and how he had loved that truck and his worst regret was ever getting rid of it to get a newer 4wd truck which he didn't even own anymore. As he was telling his story I swear he was starting to tear up. I felt bad for the guy but I hear stories like this from people all the time about that truck they never should have let go...
Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 AM   #64
tstancik

My "looks" story started long before ever I took possesion of my truck. Starting in 2002 I begun the search for a factory 2wd blazer..... I always wanted one, and I was determined to have one in my lifetime. I was willing to travel anywhere in the country for the right truck (at the right price). After countless dead-end, heartbreaking and frustrating close calls, a factory 2wd 71 GMC Jimmy showed up on eBay right in my back yard here in Seattle. Long story short, i won the auction and bought the truck from the original owner who bought it new from the GMC dealer here in town. He was a meticulous record keeper, and he documented every single thing that he did to the truck dating back to the original oil change in 8-31-71.

This brings me to the "looks" part of the story. In his record keeping, he also kept all the notes that were left on the truck over the years from people offering to buy his truck. He dated the notes and kept them for future reference. There are a pile of notes dating back to the mid 80's. Thank god he didn't think to call back any of these people, or I never would have even had the opportunity to get his truck.

When I picked the truck up, he told me that he never dreamed that people would want his old worn out truck, let alone pay thousands more than he paid for it back in 1971.

I never did find my factory 2wd Blazer.... But this old worn out factory 2wd Jimmy will be fine with me. Here is a pic of the truck shortly after i brought it home.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2011, 02:01 AM   #65
mustardjimmy71
toys'r'us

Thats the first one ive ever seen with curb feelers!!! You know you have some old mans car when...
mustardjimmy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 AM   #66
tstancik

LOL! Curb feelers are long gone. You should have seen the roof rack he had on it. My best guess is that it came off of a mid-70 Mercury Station Wagon....
Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #67
AirSpeed

I have a white 87 blazer, after OJ Simpson murdered his wife and went on the low speed chase in his Bronco, people would yell at me saying "run OJ run!". I had to listen to that for about a year. I don't know how anyone could confuse a Blazer with a (yuck) Bronco!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #68
TexasJimmy

I find an excuse to drive "IT" almost every night after work. We are stocked on misc. stuff for years.

The typical head nods, waves, smiles, and I remember when......

Wish my dad was still around to enjoy this awesome ride with me, he was a die hard Chevy man.

71' Blazer CST
84' GMC Jimmy-SOLD
2008 Suburban LTZ
TexasJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 AM   #69
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Downtown Santa Barbara California,around lunch time. Sun shining(as usual), top off, idling at a red light waiting to make a left.

Imagine a hot blond,tight black skirt,white button down dress shirt, loooong legs with black,almost slutty, high healed shoes.

She ,waiting to cross the street, finally does.
As she's walking she's looking at the Blazer/me?...not taking her eye's off it.

As she just gets past the truck she say's... " I LOVE your Blazer!" and then continues to cross the street.

Dumbfounded at what just happened, I shake my head thinking "I know I'm close to Hollywood...but this is like the fantasy scene straight from some 80's teen movie".

I watch her walk to the other side of the street and as she looks back at us I mange to mumble "thank you...I love it too!"

She smiles and then gives me a little wave with just her fingers.

Now I swear this is the truth and I remember ALL the details because it was just like a dream sequence from a movie. Even the the traffic noise seemed to stop while all this was happening.

Then, the the light turned green and I start to make my left.

I was so distracted I didn't even notice the person crossing the street as I was making the left turn.
Slammed on the brakes to see it was my landlord. He looks at me and says sarcastically, "Thanks for not killing me!".

I mumble an apology and continue my turn.

Looking back in the rear view mirror The Blond is crossing the street still looking at us.

I swear to the Blazer gods above... this story is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth...

I'm a happily married man...but jeeze...someone was testing me that day.

Last edited by BobbyK; 04-13-2011 at 12:40 AM.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #70
OLD K5

I just bought a 1972 blazer hugged orange and it is at the mechanics. He was telling me three people have already offered to but it and told him their k5 stories. My mechanic even told me he owned one the same color and he wishes he still had it! It makes me proud to own a little piece of automobile history.
Posted via Mobile Device
OLD K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #71
Gary 70 Jimmy

I left a car show in my jimmy and went throw town on a 4 lane road and a ford truck came up beside me thier was a girl hanging out the window filming me with here phone as they slowly went buy.

1972 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 4wheel camper
1970 GMC Jimmy 1/2 4X4 350
1969 Chevy Blazer 1/2 4X4 307
1967 chevy LWB 3/4 396
Gary 70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #72
Wasted Income
Boosted Member

When I first got my K/5, it was in fairly rough shape, but still draws stares with the top off. My brother and i were out cruising one night, and at a stop light, a dude in an H2 Hummer would not stop staring. He rolled down his window and said "nice blazer!!". Lol.

I used to joke with my wife that our ratty, flat black blazer got WAY more attention than my hot rod 69 C-10. I can't wait to get the blazer done now.
2014 VW Passat TDI - Daily Driver
Turbo diesel
2015 Sierra Denali HD Duramax Turbo diesel
2016 Ford Explorer Sport - Twin Turbskis
2017 Polaris RZR Turbo
2014 Nor-Tech Center Console - Twin Supercharged Outboards

TURBO ALL THE THINGS!!
Wasted Income is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #73
99-LS1-SS

Quote:
I hate hippies and Al Gore too. You should've revved the engine and said, "Sorry, I can't hear you through the cloud of CO2". Self righteous people irritate me.
99-LS1-SS is offline   Reply With Quote