The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
special-K
Special Order

Mild Weather Brings Them Out

This winter has been crazy all over. Here in the Mid-Atlantic we are having a crazy mild winter that so far has barely left any snow. Lots of southern air up from the Gulf with a few colder days every now and then from the NW. It's driving me crazy because I should be able to drive my '72 this winter. BUT...they still keep drizzling that cussed salt brine every time they predict the slightest possibility of snow within a couple hundred miles. Then, we have also not been getting much of any rain. My rule has been not to drive till after the second good rain once the last salt was spread. Just hasn't happened that way.

I don't think a week has passed I haven't seen motorcycles out and about. Last weekend was the big cycle show at the state fairgrounds. It's the first time I've seen people ride to it. There must have been 200 bikes ridden there. Today was t-shirt weather. I saw a topless deuce and a quarter rolling along with three people wearing t-shirts. Ok, we all have something to say about our strange weather, such as drought stricken CA getting all the rain they've missed just this week... it seems.

But that's not really what this thread is all about. Here I am afraid to take my tough 4wd truck out for fear of it turning to crust and at the Safeway today I see this beast in the lot. Some grocery gitter, ey?
Name:  IMG_1671.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  52.3 KB
Name:  IMG_1672.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  70.9 KB
Name:  IMG_1673.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  68.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1674.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  64.7 KB
I guess the rear tag had to go right where the chute belongs. Gotta have a tag to be street legal you know

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 02-18-2017 at 11:01 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Mild Weather Brings Them Out

Haha..I read the title and thought I was gonna see a snake picture..warm mild weather brings them no-legs out here..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:54 PM   #3
Cape Codder

I'll Take this weather for mid Feb. 40 degrees when I got up,washed the truck before church and went rowing with my buddy this afternoon. Temps hit 60 a little windy but we toughed it out for 5 miles.

Cape Codder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Yeah, blustery yet warm. I found out later that Saturday started out at 27 and it got up to 71, as it turned out. I was home all weekend. My road is a very popular road to take a nice drive on. Turn right and it gets better and better. All the nice country roads you could imagine. I see everything go by from bicycles, to packs of motorcycles from road rockets to H.O.G. chapters, Porches and such, a couple Cougar convertibles together, pro-street ground pounders, antiques, you name it. Locals with classic cars to people from to city and suburbs coming up. .They were all out yesterday.

I'm still not taking my '72 out till some good rain. I'm a freak about that, even though it's dry. If it's putting up dust that stuff lays up in there and all it needs is moist air. Looks like a chance of rain a few days this week, still warmer than normal, but same as it's been, just scattered light occasional showers... wimpy stuff. Saturday looks like a good rain, but we'll see. Can't wait! Heck, I kept so busy both days I never got a chance to even fire it up and let it run a while like I wanted. No big deal

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 02-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Cape Codder

When we do get a warm day for washing this time of year I do stick the hose down inside the fenders and up inside the bedsides for a good wash. I have my hose running off the outdoor shower so can even give it hot water to dissolve salt. My truck is my daily so working from home I try to drive it as little as possible in snow but have to sometimes.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
midniteblues

I'll take every bit of warmth we get.

I unplugged the bike checked the oil and pushed it out of the garage too let it run for a bit.
Meanwhile i uncoverd and checked the fluids and fired up the camaro inside and hit the exhaust fans.
Back outside I figured awe why not, hopped on and took a quick scoot around (what we call)the block about a 2 1/2 mi. Jaunt....way too many cinder patches out there yet for my two wheels too be on the road.

I picked up a mobile home furnace last summer too install and keep the garage warmed up.
I procrastinated all summer and fall hooking it up.
well I finally got'er all buttoned up and fired up last week but i guess I'll just save my fuel....for now.
Im sure I'll need it soon enough.

My wife seems too think we are gonna pay for this nice weather and get hammered before spring....we'll see, like usual i HOPE she is wrong

I think that guy in the 57 put his groceries in the trunk next too the spare tire.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #7
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Whats a cinder patch?

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Whats a cinder patch?
It's small gravel they spread on the roads.sometimes it's mixed with the salt.

It gathers in pockets/patches on the road and on a bike it can make your shorts brown in a hurry.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:52 PM   #9
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Oh yeah I would hate to hit one of those ... slide, fall, ouch!

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:19 PM   #10
slomotion
Old Duffer

Cape Codder, have you ever done the "Snow Row"? I did it a couple times back in the '90's when "Messing About In Boats" used to cover the event. Did that, and the "Blackburn Challenge", a couple of times, but in the cruising class, didn't want anything to do with a 24 mile pulling race!

Tim, we've got so much snow on the ground the roads will be a mess for another 6 weeks. We may not get a lot more snow, but the melt keeps the salt/sand mud stirred up and the on-coming traffic takes a dim view of swinging into their lane to avoid a four foot wide puddle on your side.
I'm guessing middle April for the '68

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 11:18 PM   #11
Cape Codder

I did the snow row last year and two years before that. The year in between I had wrist surgery. I just sent in my registration for this year a couple days ago. March 4th this year. Great fun. I am in the single work boat master class. Meaning old guy in a skiff.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #12
special-K
Special Order

I've been seeing how Maine has been getting some big snows. That's saying a lot when they say it's a lot in Maine. This has been yet another odd season in yet another odd way. The jetstream is missing us for the most part when it normally determines our weather. We are getting Pacific warm air as well as the normal moist gulf air we normally can have from time to time. I have never seen air coming straight across Mexico, across the south, and up the coast. Today is still above average (54 high) but cooler due to a cold front out of New England. I have never seen a cold front drop straight down the coast like that. Out northeasters are normally storms off the coast spinning (counter clockwise) air off the Atlantic to the north. This is dry air coming straight down, just as it normally does from the NW out of Alberta. It will be warmer today in far western MD in the mountains because they are west of this cold front...weird.

Southern MD/Lower Eastern Shore and Northern VA, just south of us have gotten snow we missed here in the Piedmont and just above me on the MD/PA line and north has gotten snow and/or cold air we have missed. Our reservoirs are low. No talk of a drought, but we air in a very dry pocket weather is avoiding. Let's see what these "possible" rains bring

Tim

Old 02-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

That'll get the groceries QUICK!!

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:07 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I've never seen one like that driven around town. Not in February, July, or any month.

Well,on the news tonight the big story is a big field fire. Yesterday or this morning there was one near here in the traffic report and I heard about another before that. The weather guy is as of tonight talking of drought and they showed a map defining it's area, which we are right in the middle of.

Tim

Old 02-22-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I can't believe it's actually street legal. Pretty cool in an ugly kind of way.

It looks like one of those 'glass bodies where the whole thing lifts up at the front?

Our electric bill has been $60-150 less this winter than comparable previous years.

Weather Channel is showing high 60's to mid 70's for us all the way through the first week of March (NOT normal). Looks like we never got winter and we're not going to. Mid March is when it typically starts hitting back in the 60's here.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #16
Indian113

The Ground Hog said six more weeks of Winter, with temps in the 70's in February I take a Whole winter like that. But I still won't get my Harley out until we get some Heavy Rains to wash the sand off the road. Besides people in cars don't look for us to be out in the winter and only use one eye on us in the Summer.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
Nick_R_23

I still have 4 feet of snow in my front yard!
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:50 AM   #18
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_R_23 View Post
I still have 4 feet of snow in my front yard!
Is it usually 8?

Man, on my way home I passed a field that had just been disked. NEVER seen that! Usually the ground is frozen or at least way too wet and soft from thawing. I see buds on the maples and the early flowers are popped up. Geese are also on the move. Oh, and State Troopers out in force along the interstate. Usually that's April, the first nice warm days when people day dream and their happy good feelings find them rolling faster than normal with your guard down.

All I know is I've been happy with myself getting a lot of little things fixed or improved in my house as a winter project. Trying to start a new year of not looking at what needs to be done but going ahead and getting it done. But now I feel like I'm behind with more to get done and now feeling it's time to start with yard work. I like to get the initial yard work done and out of the way soon as possible. Also, truck stuff. I got new wheels last fall figuring I'd wait till spring for tires. So is it spring? It's going to rain this weekend and I will start driving the '72...till they spread salt (maybe). So now it's "Gotta get the wheels powder coated" and "Gotta get me some tires" time when it's already "Gotta order standing seam roofing", "Gotta buy tile", "Gotta buy trim and paint", and "Gotta buy thumb latches and strap hinges" time.

I also have a couple bathroom jobs to start. I had hoped to already be on them (same house). Now I will be getting the Springtime type calls for outside type work, which is my forte and where I want to be...especially when we are having exceptionally nice weather.

I'm not complaining, I'm confused!!

Tim