The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2017, 01:55 PM   #1
jsera

Kick Panel Speakers

Hey guys, I'm preparing to pass electrical into the doors for windows, locks and tweeters and it looks like ill have to cut an access hole in the kick panel to make it possible to install the wiring and my steel braid door looms. I intend to cover this with one of those plastic kick panel speaker assemblies but have heard that the mounting depth is too shallow for quality speakers.

My Questions:

Can I resolve this by making my access hole bigger?

Does anyone have mounting depth or model# for speakers used in these kick panels?
jsera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:01 PM   #2
weq92f

Re: Kick Panel Speakers

I found a similar 'access hole' on my passenger kick panel. It's about a 3x5 inch rectangle cut about 2 inches from the door jamb and about 2 inches below the top of the kick panel.

It's obvious that it was for wiring windows/locks.

FYI, unless you seal up a bunch of other things, that 'access hole' is going to create a LOT of wind noise. I'm currently trying to figure how best to seal it up and yet allow future access to proceed if required.

Epoxy?

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:10 PM   #3
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
I found a similar 'access hole' on my passenger kick panel. It's about a 3x5 inch rectangle cut about 2 inches from the door jamb and about 2 inches below the top of the kick panel.

It's obvious that it was for wiring windows/locks.

FYI, unless you seal up a bunch of other things, that 'access hole' is going to create a LOT of wind noise. I'm currently trying to figure how best to seal it up and yet allow future access to proceed if required.

Epoxy?

-klb
You'll never get the epoxy off if you need access... A sheet metal plate with a small home type window/door seal from home depot around the perimeter and a couple self tapping screws to hold it in place would make a decent removable cover I think... or is this bordering on bubba's work?
Old 02-21-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
weq92f

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsera View Post
... or is this bordering on bubba's work?
LOL, yes, I think it is. But... the sheet metal is covered with vinyl/leather apholstery so whatever cover will be hidden.

-klb
Old 02-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #5
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by weq92f View Post
LOL, yes, I think it is. But... the sheet metal is covered with vinyl/leather apholstery so whatever cover will be hidden.

-klb
If its hidden it doesn't count...just like bondo over rust lol Everybody knows that
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #6
diggerbob

I have the cheapo plastic kick panels in mine and they were too shallow to use a decent speaker. I ended up cutting out wood rings that I installed between the speaker mounting flange and the kick panel mounting surface. This gave me about 1/2-3/4" more depth. This allowed me to use a higher quality pioneer speaker. I also cut out a 2 pieces of 1/4" thick plywood to seal up the kick panel enclosure at the back and sealed it in place with silicone adhesive. Lastly, I filled the enclosure with a bit of fiberglass insulation before installing the speakers in the kick panels. This made a big improvement over the plain-jane plastic kick panels with the cheapo speakers that came with them.

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm preparing to pass electrical into the doors for windows, locks and tweeters and it looks like ill have to cut an access hole in the kick panel to make it possible to install the wiring and my steel braid door looms. I intend to cover this with one of those plastic kick panel speaker assemblies but have heard that the mounting depth is too shallow for quality speakers.

My Questions:

Can I resolve this by making my access hole bigger?

Does anyone have mounting depth or model# for speakers used in these kick panels?
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #7
jsera

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerbob View Post
I have the cheapo plastic kick panels in mine and they were too shallow to use a decent speaker. I ended up cutting out wood rings that I installed between the speaker mounting flange and the kick panel mounting surface. This gave me about 1/2-3/4" more depth. This allowed me to use a higher quality pioneer speaker. I also cut out a 2 pieces of 1/4" thick plywood to seal up the kick panel enclosure at the back and sealed it in place with silicone adhesive. Lastly, I filled the enclosure with a bit of fiberglass insulation before installing the speakers in the kick panels. This made a big improvement over the plain-jane plastic kick panels with the cheapo speakers that came with them.
any idea what your mounting depth was before doing all that?
Old 03-16-2017, 05:09 PM   #8
weq92f

I cut a rectangle of rigid, transparent plastic and gorilla taped over the access hole...

As soon as I'm able to get it out on the road, we'll see if this is the source of my wind noise.

-klb
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2017, 07:39 PM   #9
diggerbob

Quote:
any idea what your mounting depth was before doing all that?
I dont remember the mounting depth but I'd cut my doors before I would cut the kick panels in my cab to accommodate speakers <cringe-thank me later>. You can cut out your plywood rings and fit test them to your cab before mounting them-no big deal. Some guys on here have made custom fiberglass kick panels to give them the extra depth they wanted. If you were inclined this way, the more rigid fiberglass enclosure would be very beneficial from the standpoint of sound quality. For me, the cheapo plastic kick panels with a spacer ring worked pretty well. I would try to get at least 1/4 inch between the speaker magnet and the steel kick panel though.

Last edited by diggerbob; 03-16-2017 at 08:00 PM.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote