The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
OldRusty67

1967 C-10 stepside Project C-Rusty

Hey Everyone!

I have been a follower of the forum for years and recently have FINALLY started working on my truck heres the Trucks story so far - I came across it in 2007 and brought it home out of a guys field for next to nothing the picture of it on the trailer is when I brought it home it was Rusty but the frame was solid and I knew with the aftermarket I could fix it. I think about 10 rats and 20 squirrels were living in the thing though it was a mess.

Well thats where my journey started I would piddle on it from time to time I just enjoyed wrenching on it. In 2009 I got hit by a flood and it took out pretty much everything, the truck got submerged in the flood, I think the Seat has probably made it to the Gulf of Mexico down the Chattahochee by now . I have just recently got off my butt and started really working on it. I disassembled the cab and sent it to the media blaster hoping to stay optimistic but it's bad the Flood really did a number on it I think its rusted through about every metal to metal seam in the entire dang thing....

At that point I almost gave up and scrapped it I know a lot of guys still would
but it was reading this forum and seeing some cabs that are as bad as mine come back to life that have given me hope so hopefully I can do the same for someone else. That and a different cab = to much $ and I barely have anything in the truck, to this point like $600 after the media blasting on the cab. I grew up turning wrenches on my cars but have little body and fabrication experience I guess there is no better way to learn then to do it!

Where its at now - I have the Cab blasted and rattle can primered just to have something on it while I work on it. I decided to start at the top so I cut back the roof panel (had already decided to replace it) on the passenger side cut off the drip rail and cut out the corner pictures will hopefully be below.

Question - Does anyone know of anyone that makes the roof corners and window channels? or know anyone who might have a junk cab they are willing to cut up? these look like they are going to be a Pain to fabricate any help is appreciated.

Thanks Guys I'll try and update the build as I go along and look forward to sharing the experience with you all!
Attached Images

Last edited by OldRusty67; 02-17-2017 at 06:25 PM.
OldRusty67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
OldRusty67

Re: 1967 C-10 stepside Project C-Rusty

More picts of its current state -
Attached Images

Old 02-17-2017, 06:16 PM   #3
OldRusty67

Couple more of my first cut aways that I will ether have to find a junk cab to cut them off of or I was thinking or trying to repair the corner and patch new metal in. not sure I'm thinking these pieces are going to really test me....
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
OldRusty67

Ugh got hit with the Flu over the weekend so have'nt done anything except stare at my roof corners.. I don't think I can fix them, they are over my skill level and the whole front top window channel really needs to be replaced. I haven't found anyone selling those panels so it may have me conceding to look for a different cab.

Especially after seeing fast and loud last night, if anyone seen that awesome 1000 dollar deal for what looked like a pretty rust free truck. Sucks I like the small window but not sure if I can find another one for cheep.

Does anyone know if a 72 cab will fit on a 67 frame? And will the 67 front end bolt up? Got a line on a 72 for a decent price. I'm going to try not to jump on anything to quick and find something with the least amount of rust possible.

If I haven't stated it yet I HATE Rust and have pledged to kill as much of it as possible!
Old 02-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Orange67

Welcome from Utah! Yes, 72 cab will work, but I think I'd keep looking for a 67 if it was me. Good luck, and whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP!

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
OldRusty67

Thanks for the welcome Orange it's great to be here I am amazed at all the knowledge about these trucks on this site and your right never give up I might keep looking for a 67 can and see what comes up.

So for a lititle more detail I hope I didn't come across whiny I knew the truck was rough when I got it back from blasting but after letting it soak in and looking at the time and cost it may be to much to save. So about every metal to metal seam is toast on this cab. It would end up with - new roof panel, front top window channel and corners, patch holes in the lower window channel, new cowl, firewall, complete floor, cab corners, rockers, kick panels are half gone. The front cab support right in front of the rocker both sides , some patching around the back window and at the seams on the roof on the inside.... wow as I'm typing all that I'm think I made up my mind.... the truck wasn't that bad when I got it the flood and expose since killed the cab sheet metal... maybe I'll graft the small back window onto that 72 cab I found

Project all mixed up lol