The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2020, 12:58 PM   #76
special-K
Special Order

Re: The Rules

No swap meets or flea markets are killing me. I've thought about consignment shops, but those had been closed. I guess they are open here now. I'd have to check. Time to hit Craigslist and FB marketplace I guess. I've never done Ebay selling. Even thought about that. There are other site for selling collectibles, antiques, and crafts I might try. Pretty much everything of mine I could sell.

What do people do with their kids drawings and school stuff? I hope they want to take it. Who else would want it? I don't have the heart to toss it out.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:04 PM   #77
davischevy

Even with the fees the RS shop charge, it seems like stuff brings more. FB and CL are so flooded with items, they go cheap, but I guess if people can touch it they will give more.

For people with income, donations are good. A lot of times the tax savings is greater than the resale value.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:29 PM   #78
special-K
Special Order

I do see CL and FB more as places just to get rid of something and get a little something for it. I definitely have things worthy of a shop. There are a lot of books. I wanted to donate those. I always figured I'd end up being one of those folks with an antique shop in a building at home when retired. I already have gotten rid of a lot of things at swap meets. Non-automotive antiques stuff always sells at Spring & Fall Carlisle. I always try to bring one good conversation piece at least.

I had a bunch of Harley related stuff gathered for the MC swap meet last winter to start a season of red gittin'. Planned to do try a couple big weekly flea markets in PA, too, on top of the car-related stuff. This Covid-thing loused all that up.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 06-12-2020, 01:55 PM   #79
1976gmc20

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I think the outlet for that sort of stuff is a resale shop. We are going to take a few things to one. Our kids use it all the time.
Yeah, hopefully there is one in C.S. that will take it. Not consignment, though - once they have it, it's theirs! Not going to drive 1500 miles RT to take it back.

I've got a lot of stuff here, mostly outside and in the garage, because we've been so short on money so much that you never know when you might use something otherwise worthless. Sort of a depression mentality. Then neighbors keep moving away and giving me stuff. I need to haul off some scrap metal.

But compared to the stuff Mrs 76gmc has, I have practically nothing
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #80
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Speaking of changes due to the virus (we were, right?) I just had my first-ever medical appointment by phone. Today was my scheduled 6-month visit with my rheumatologist and a couple days ago I got a call asking if I'm okay with a phone appointment. You bet I am, their office is nearly an hour away. They are limiting human contact when they can. He's been treating me for 10+ years so he has my full history, and my condition is stable. It went great, finally a small upside moment in the middle of this coronavirus mess.
Just be careful if it is a video call of some sort. Keep in mind what is behind you for the person on the other end to see.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-se...oKvoaIUUAqDR7c

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:38 PM   #81
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard2717 View Post
Just be careful if it is a video call of some sort. Keep in mind what is behind you for the person on the other end to see.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-se...oKvoaIUUAqDR7c
Oh wow.... that could have turned out much worse.

No worries, mine was landline only, no video. I would have been OK though.... I was wearing pants.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #82
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Doesn't Maryland have a law on the books that a BB gun has to be locked up? I don't know if there were pics at the site, I didn't dig that deeply. Some states treat even BB guns as "firearms" and require that they be locked(up) if anyone in the home is less than 18 YO. Nobody in our house fits that bit, so I could leave things unlocked...except that one of my wife's friends brings her grandchildren over to visit. I have attorneys on tap, but "getting out" of such a pickle means jack to me if a child was hurt ("You can put an eye out with that thing", for example). SO, all of my firearms, even the "firearms" are locked(up).

NB: "locked(up)" means that it is either in the safe(s) or is locked in such a manner that it could only be used as a club. The keys and combinations are inaccessible to those kids.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:24 PM   #83
special-K
Special Order

No, you just have to be 18 to own one. There was just an instance where a teacher saw an 11 year old boy's bows, BB, and air guns displayed in his room during a video school thing and called the police. They came, looked, and determined no law had been broken. I think it's 18 to buy. It's kids who use BB guns in my world

Tim

Old 06-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #84
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Doesn't Maryland have a law on the books that a BB gun has to be locked up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
No, you just have to be 18 to own one.
I guess it's a miracle any of us lived to see our teen years. Besides your pocketknife, a heck of a lot of us had BB guns. It used to be a normal part of being a kid. (You'll shoot your eye out!)

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 06-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #85
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Quote:
I guess it's a miracle any of us lived to see our teen years. Besides your pocketknife, a heck of a lot of us had BB guns. It used to be a normal part of being a kid. (You'll shoot your eye out!)
IK,R? All the stuff I did as a kid, I'm amazed that I still I have my vision, hearing, and all my fingers and toes. Though I have tinnitus from the unprotected shooting of guns (.22s) and macular degeneration from watching magnesium burn. NB- magnesium emits UV light when it burns, and that light will damage your eyes. What did we know, when we were 14 or so? I should make a journal of the crazy things I did as a kid, but it would just give the next generation some ideas.

Here's one that one of my sons managed to pull. I was a member of the National Association of Rocketry for many years, and had a high power rocket. I used to volunteer for the BSA, and we launched a ton (exaggeration) of rockets. I had a lot of "motors". My eldest son got hold of one and taped it to the top of a "Hot Wheels" car, lit it with a match, and ran it down the hall way in our addition. That was about 36', from the start to the back wall of the master bedroom, where it hit the wall. I got home right after it happened, and opened some windows, since the smoke is toxic. Grandma had no clue what he was doing. Here's a picture of my high power rocket on its maiden voyage. It's a 1/4-scale model of an AMRAAM (AIM-120D) "Slammer". It's pretty well detailed, since I was on business travel to Florida doing launch processing of our satellite, and had some time on my hands.
Attached Images

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 05:41 AM   #86
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Yes. We never wore seatbelts. No helmets. And we shot BB guns at each other.

We never gave it a second thought. It was just what you did. That's how it was.

But then again I was a bad kid. (Ask my mother) I ran with a tough crowd. I think about it now that I'm older. And I can't believe that I managed to live through it.

Here's an old pic my girlfriend snapped of me looking for my keys for my old bike. Notice there is no helmet in sight. That's because I didn't have one. I wouldn't wear one until they made it illegal and I had to.

I drove that bike like a maniac and I'm still here.

What a hoodlum. No wonder why her dad didn't like me.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 06:31 AM   #87
special-K
Special Order

Good example picture of an '80 or so Superglide. When our helmet law got put into place I wanted to get t-shirts made that said:
THIS HELMET PROTECTS MY HEAD

Please be careful

with the rest of my body!

I figured too much to read, but that was my sentiment when helmet laws came into play. Mandated to wear a helmet so drivers can continue to be careless about motorcycles. "I didn't see him" doesn't cut it! "It only takes a second to take a second look". I always do.

No bicycle helmets when we were kids. I never knew of any kids hurting their head when crashing a bike. It's the hands, elbows, and knees mostly. And if you skid it's a shoulder and hip.

Climbing trees. I did know of some broken bones from that, but kids can do that now same as then.

When I was in Elementary school I used to walk on the shoulder of a 2-lane main artery about a mile most days after school to play with the kids in the housing development. Then come home as it was getting dark. I did get bit by a dog once.

Tim

Old 06-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #88
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

In grade school we learned about the properties of mercury by passing it around the classroom, handling it (bare hands of course), and dipping dimes in it to make them shiny. I had an old yew wood bow that I used to shoot arrows straight up into the air. Sometimes they went out of sight, but they always landed near me. I don't think bicycle helmets had been invented yet. Worst injury I got on a bike was a broken front tooth. When I started riding motorcycles the only helmet law was if you were on a state highway -- not required in town. Those were the days alright..... Years of gunfire and loud machinery left me with tinnitus, so I guess karma is real though it may take years.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 06-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #89
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Good example picture of an '80 or so Superglide.
Close. It was a 79. Not the most dependable bike in the world. It was an AMF Harley. Instead of AMF they should have called it POS. It was constantly giving me trouble. I finally got rid of it and got a Triumph Bonneville which was even worse. They were cool looking bikes. Nice bikes... When they would start.

When I was little I got bit by a dog too. Pretty badly. A big German Shepherd got me by the back of the head and was dragging me around the yard. If I was bald you'd see the scars.

As a kid I also got hit by a car, fell out of a treehouse, almost blew my hand off with an M80, and got hit on the head by a big rock. (7 stitches)

Then when I got older I did the most dangerous thing ever... I married my first wife.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:04 AM   #90
prairewolf

Quote:
I needed a 1/2" x 3' length of all thread, 9 nuts, and 9 washers yesterday so I try the buy online/curbside pickup with TSC. What a piece of crap website? User friendly it is not! Here they are the place to go for buying nuts, bolts, and washers because they sell by the pound. how do I do that online? How much do nine 1/2" nuts and washers weigh? Never got that far anyway. Never found nuts or washers on the website, only could add the all thread to my cart.

So I try Ace's website. Much easier to use. I found "nuts & washers", although the filters are for anything but size which is the best way to narrow down 5,000 different size and type of nuts possible. Where I hit my dead end with Ace was you could only buy a gross of the nuts, like 50 or 100.

So I said screw it. I'll have to stop at Home Depot on my way down the road, where I can walk in and select my 9 pieces by hand. I wanted to patronize my town businesses but it was just not possible. I could have called it in but by the time I got done with the website BS I was done trying.
Wait a minute, you Guys fix stuff in a timely manner when it needs to be fixed ?, there is something about this thread I don't like. . DMV is now open here, long lines but fresh air is abundant compared to staying home inside on mental lockdown.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:35 AM   #91
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairewolf View Post
Wait a minute, you Guys fix stuff in a timely manner when it needs to be fixed ?, there is something about this thread I don't like.
You must be talking about someone else When I finally fix a thing it's because it's been broken so long, and if it was easy I always wonder why I put it off so long. That hardware I needed for a job. It had it's final county inspection and this was for the one thing the inspector wanted done before he'd pass it. So yeah, I was Ready Eddy Johnny On The Spot on that! I needed that final draw!$!

I went through a town yesterday and noticed the antique mall was open. And Spring Carlisle is happening this coming week. This whole what's open/what's not when and where from town to town, county to county, state to state if confusing. The information is out there, but I'd have to make a hobby of it to keep up. I just got used to not expecting to be able to do much. I'm just glad the store had my frozen peach slices! Just in time for fresh peach season

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 06-14-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 10:04 AM   #92
special-K
Special Order

Well, last weekend was the wild and wonderful world famous Spring Carlisle automotive swap meet on it's altered date. No talk on here about it coming up. I wasn't planning on going, but I forgot to even bring it up. My friends and fellow vendors, didn't hear from a one. Called my friend I set up with, wasn't planning on going. He talked to the others in our group from NH to WVA to NC and none were coming. A funny thing is, after being a not so wet spring, there was rain forecast the whole week. How does the weather find out about these changes? The weather didn't turn out that wet. I'll be calling a friend I am about certain did go to sell to get a report. This year sure has been different so far.

Tim