The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
quickstrikez06

Dads old '72

Ok. First things first. I’m new here and I’m looking forward to learning a lot and giving info and ideas back when I feel qualified enough to do so. I’m excited about becoming a part of the hot rod/old school group… So this is what I have. 1972 Chevy Truck. It was Dads truck and I’m getting it and I want to fix it up, drive it around, and show it off. My Dad loved driving that truck around and I want to have it for a long time to pass to my kids one day. What I need is basically a checklist of where to start on this project. I feel like I’m going to be doing things 2,3, or 4 times because I’m not doing it in the right order. Bodywork is fine other than the cab. Dad said it had gotten hit before he had it and the doors never shut just right. He said I should get a whole new cab. Other than that, no body problems. It’s already primed and ready for paint… now the bad news. The old 307 is weak. Doesn’t run cause it needs a new carb. I want to put in a 383 or 427 anyway. So that means tranny needs to go, drive shaft, and a new rear end needs to be put in. I want airbags on the back too. I’m sure the body needs to come off, cleaning and painting and coating done, new stainless bolts put in… So. That’s it in a nutshell. Can you guys pass along some of your hard won wisdom to get me going on this? I will post pics and start a new thread with updates on everything I do. I’d like to help someone else with his or her project by seeing the work on here… Thanks!
quickstrikez06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:07 AM   #2
low&slow
Account Suspended

Re: Dads old '72

I would say it sounds like you got the order right.

If it where me I would take the body, engine, and transmission out/off and start on the air ride. Then do the body modification to make it fit on the chassis. Do the engine and all that last.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:09 AM   #3
makman1297

Welcome, so where to start. I tore mine down completely and stared there. Cleaned up the frame, looked it over for any repairs. With it stripped you can do any suspension or brake modification with ease, and it is not hard removing the body. You can then build you engine and tranny how you like and install it with no body on, get the whole driveline in, do the exhaust etc. Clean up the cab do any body work / paint / mods etc. Reinstall the cab and box and the rest is fairly simple. You can really do this any way you want, as long as you know what you want to do. Look over what you have, figure out what you want, figure out how much you can spend and then check on the price of the new stuff, it is really easy to go over budget on these trucks, so knowing your timeline also helps. Post some pictures so we can see what you have.
makman1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
quickstrikez06

Okay. Thanks for the initial feedback... Im going to put picture up soon and get going on this build. All info with respect to the best parts to go with, or not go with is appreciated...

This is what I want in the end:
IFS mustang front end
Bags in the rear
One piece side windows
Ford 9 inch rear end
Gas tank moved under the bed, not behind the seat.... Fuel Cell... Any ideas here?
Big nasty cam that makes the truck shake the ground

Last edited by quickstrikez06; 02-15-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
dougminton

Go big block for sure. The stock rear end is strong enough unless you plan on big HP and big slicks. just my .02

1972 GMC SWB
454 oval ports
TH400

fastest 1/4 mile time so far
13.05 @ 104

If you think you have too much horsepower
you obviously have a traction problem !
dougminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
sjarrett71

Curious, why the mustang front end? The front suspensions are easily modifiable without doing that. Check out the suspension forum for some other ideas before you make your mind up.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
quickstrikez06

The IFS was an idea that Dad gave me. He said it was a really popular front end set up to use... Im open for ideas. I'll look on the suspension forum.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
quickstrikez06

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougminton View Post
Go big block for sure. The stock rear end is strong enough unless you plan on big HP and big slicks. just my .02
well, I dont know if Im going to be putting down major HP, but no slicks for sure. So just keep the rear end it has... new gears and a clean up?
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
dougminton

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickstrikez06 View Post
well, I dont know if Im going to be putting down major HP, but no slicks for sure. So just keep the rear end it has... new gears and a clean up?
and a posi if youre so inclined (youll need one with a big block)
Posted via Mobile Device

1972 GMC SWB
454 oval ports
TH400

fastest 1/4 mile time so far
13.05 @ 104

If you think you have too much horsepower
you obviously have a traction problem !
dougminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
quickstrikez06

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougminton View Post
and a posi if youre so inclined (youll need one with a big block)
Posted via Mobile Device
yea... Haha. Dont want to blow off the single side tire!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #11
quickstrikez06

So it looks like I might not be going with the Bagged option... What do you guys think about doing a single side window? It looks pretty good. What all goes into it?
Old 02-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #12
quickstrikez06

Im thinking about switching the cab out due to a old wreck that bent the cab a touch... Does the truck Title follow the Cab or the frame? Just trying to decide if I should get some sheet metal work done on the truck, or just get a better (non-wrecked) one./
Old 02-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
Zeke's Garage

The title in GA follows the cab, since that's where the VIN is. But since you don't need a title in GA for a truck of this age, you just need to get the police to do a VIN search and affidavit to verify that it is not stolen so that you can register it. I've had several vehicles done this way.

Shawn
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 12:07 AM   #14
quickstrikez06

Okay Zeke... Im going to keep the cab then. My buddy owns a body shop in Monroe. I'll just have him fix the corner then. I want to keep the vin and frame all together... Not sure if that makes sense or not... but oh well! haha. I think I've decided on the '72 paint style. The colors are going to be 2011 Corvette ZR1 Cyber Grey and white. Im going to get corvette front and rear calipers and have them painted the same light blue that's on the ZR1 too... The blue caliper and the blue flake in the paint look really nice together. Thats the plan for now.

Last edited by quickstrikez06; 03-10-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-10-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Hardesty454

1971 c10 - ground up in progress

Tripp's Speed Shop Build -
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=589750
Hardesty454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #16
quickstrikez06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardesty454 View Post
haha... I agree. If you check out my other thread I talk about how when I walked out to get the truck moved, it was sitting on blocks, in the garage... Someone broke in and stole the wheels, tires, and... Ashtray! wtf... Anyway. I will put up pics tomorrow.