The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 07:15 PM   #26
greasemonkey

Silver looks nice on these trucks, got any pics of the good parts?
1987 Jimmy
2004 Tahoe
2005 Silverado 1500
2005 Silverado 3500
Old 12-06-2004, 07:23 PM   #27
Orange70chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972
Then take it to a *real* car and truck body shop if you want that type of perfection, and they would correct the "mistake" at their expense, if it even happened at all. I would not come to your tax office for a paint job. Stop whining.
Thats what I was thinking. I worked as a painter in a body shop for a few years and this kind of stuff just happens especially if the the customer is on your back and you get in a hurry. Everyone wants things perfect (thats understandable) But they want it done right now it don't work that way.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:28 PM   #28
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

No way dude. It the cab is basecoat/clearcoat. Resand and reshoot the cab. Every paint manufacturer tells you that is not a warrantable procedure. You will always see the clearcoat blend line come back up. Wait and make sure it is perfect.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:31 PM   #29
68LSS1

You guys that are being hard on GreyHoundSteve are acting the same way he is about the scratches. You all need to lighten up as much as he does. I can see both sides. It was a stupid, totally avoidable mistake. Someone is missing some common sense, that is why he is so upset and I can agree with that. But if it wil be repaired and it's not costing him anything but materials, **** happens. Let the guy vent, everyone here knows how setbacks are when dealing with your "baby".
Old 12-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #30
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

I hate to go back and add on to this thread but I have to say my piece. I do not think at all what Greyhoud Steve is going through is unacceptable. If any of you guys trucks were scratched as his were you would be upset as well. As far as some of you all "bashing" him for what he has said is ridiculous in my opinion. If any of you guys bash me for siding with him so be it. I run a Chevrolet Dealer Collision Center and work at a HIGH dollar restoration shop on the weekends and let me tell you I am a perfectionist as well. There are no room for mistakes. I won the General Motors Mark of Excellence Award as a bodyshop Mangager in 2003 in the Central United States. That came from perfection and quality work of how I manage the Collision Center. Accidents happen every day and that is what feeds the bodyshop but careless mistakes are not tolerated here. Greyhound Steve, hang in there buddy I feel for you. I employee several excellent painters and body man and I still do the work myself on my own Blazer if that tells you anything. As far as you not paying labor, if that was agreed between you and your father, so be it. It is nobody else's business.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #31
Majician

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72CSTC5
I hate to go back and add on to this thread but I have to say my piece. I do not think at all what Greyhoud Steve is going through is unacceptable. If any of you guys trucks were scratched as his were you would be upset as well. As far as some of you all "bashing" him for what he has said is ridiculous in my opinion. If any of you guys bash me for siding with him so be it. I run a Chevrolet Dealer Collision Center and work at a HIGH dollar restoration shop on the weekends and let me tell you I am a perfectionist as well. There are no room for mistakes. I won the General Motors Mark of Excellence Award as a bodyshop Mangager in 2003 in the Central United States. That came from perfection and quality work of how I manage the Collision Center. Accidents happen every day and that is what feeds the bodyshop but careless mistakes are not tolerated here. Greyhound Steve, hang in there buddy I feel for you. I employee several excellent painters and body man and I still do the work myself on my own Blazer if that tells you anything. As far as you not paying labor, if that was agreed between you and your father, so be it. It is nobody else's business.

I just think it is rude of him to insult his father's slaves for messing up a paint job. From what I gathered his father does something with planes, not automobiles. Why should people that were hired to work on one thing get roped into working on trucks instead? Maybe he should have taken it to a real body shop instead of using his father's slaves.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #32
72CSTC5
Account Suspended

Last time I checked, before Abraham Lincoln was president "slaves" were not paid to do work, I think these guys are getting paid to do work, just do it and do it right. If you do not want to do it quit!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:28 PM   #33
68LSS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972
I just think it is rude of him to insult his father's slaves for messing up a paint job. From what I gathered his father does something with planes, not automobiles. Why should people that were hired to work on one thing get roped into working on trucks instead? Maybe he should have taken it to a real body shop instead of using his father's slaves.
What about taking some pride in what you're doing? What is so hard to undersand about that? Accidents do happen but all accidents ARE preventable providing some common sense is used. It doesn't matter if they are aircraft painters doing a truck. I am a supervisor at a aircraft repair facility. I also have worked at a body shop and worked as a aircraft painter. Actually I have done quite a few different jobs. Accident prevention is accident prevention. Accident avoidance is something we are always trying to keep on top of at my current job. Minor mistakes cost a lot of money on aircraft. Lastly, like I said before, it sucks when there are setback on your project or "baby". It doesn't matter who's fault it is, they suck. Let the guy vent. I think that's all he really wanted or more accurately NEEDED to do. Everyone should understand that.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:12 PM   #34
curbyk
69 C-10 project

Sounds like the father might be helping his employees by giving them some work for their pay check instead of a layoff and at the same time doing a favor for his son.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:13 PM   #35
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
About one month ago I rolled my truck over, that was an accident. What happened to you is a set-back.
Bravo! This thread needed some perspective. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:23 PM   #36
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

IMO, accidents happen all the time. What make a difference is how a company handles them. If they owned up to it and are going to fix it at no cost (as they should) then your frustration, while understandable, should not lead to an entire rant. Don't get me wrong, I'd be pissed too, but if they are standing behind their mistake and making it right by you then that's all they can do. I read some time ago, one of the best ways to keep good relations with customers is to admit when you make a mistake. No one expect everyone to be perfect all the time. Even the best person for the job has bonehead moment every once in a while.
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
Old 12-06-2004, 11:42 PM   #37
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I think this would get a better reception over on the "paint and body" forum.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:33 AM   #38
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I for one am suprised by the number of proffesionals in this forum who do not make mistakes. I for one have yet to encounter any business that I have either worked for or have done work for me that has never made a mistake. What does it take to get perfect service all the time and where are these company's located. I am also glad that i no longer work for a company that would call me an idiot, bafoon or any other such name, and I sure am glad i do not work for GHS. Personally, I wouldn't have fessed up to the mistake and done the right thing if I knew someone was going to treat me as a piece of garbage. Thank god those guys, though flawed, are good men. If i knew I was going to be blasted on a public forum and called and idiot, I would of half a**ed it as a big screw you.

Last edited by Dick Dale; 12-07-2004 at 12:37 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 12:59 AM   #39
RON WOODGEARD
Resident Young Old Dude !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dale
I for one am suprised by the number of proffesionals in this forum who do not make mistakes. I for one have yet to encounter any business that I have either worked for or have done work for me that has never made a mistake. What does it take to get perfect service all the time and where are these company's located. I am also glad that i no longer work for a company that would call me an idiot, bafoon or any other such name, and I sure am glad i do not work for GHS. Personally, I wouldn't have fessed up to the mistake and done the right thing if I knew someone was going to treat me as a piece of garbage. Thank god those guys, though flawed, are good men. If i knew I was going to be blasted on a public forum and called and idiot, I would of half a**ed it as a big screw you.

A man of my own Heart !!!!
Old 12-07-2004, 01:05 AM   #40
green68c10
Ditto Head

WOW there seems to be a little class envy out there.I think people should be able to get upset even if their dad is wealthy.Why should only us poor folk be able to complain?I have made many/plenty/more than my share of mistakes.I always try admit them.If I get flamed for it I don't wish I would have gotten even with them.Or half a**ed the job.2 wrongs do not make a right.But 2 Wrights make an airplane.Lighten up fellows.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:32 AM   #41
bagged74
its just $$$$$

just a theory, but...........
Maybe the guys didnt give a $hit about the truck because of the way they are/were treated by the guy who owns it. Damn is this an episode of American Hotrod? *****in and moanin, they offered to fix it, let em fix it or get over it and stop whinin.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:42 AM   #42
green68c10
Ditto Head

Man that is just B.S. and jealousy.Maybe thats how you work.You cant say those fellows did that because they dont like him.What kind of person does that?Some people take pride in their work.Mistakes do happen but some of you people I wonder about your ethics.Maybe we should not speculate on other ppls intentions.By the way GHS has not replied in sometime now.Whos bi!ching now?

Last edited by green68c10; 12-07-2004 at 01:45 AM.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:02 AM   #43
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by green68c10
Man that is just B.S. and jealousy.Maybe thats how you work.You cant say those fellows did that because they dont like him.What kind of person does that?Some people take pride in their work.Mistakes do happen but some of you people I wonder about your ethics.Maybe we should not speculate on other ppls intentions.By the way GHS has not replied in sometime now.Whos bi!ching now?
im not sayin they did it on purpose, just maybe they didnt go out of their way with precautions.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:19 AM   #44
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by green68c10
...By the way GHS has not replied in sometime now.Whos bi!ching now?
I suppose some of us did get a little carried away. Probably because the boss's son in a huff motif was too good to pass up. I mean, I wish I had a place where I could get full-on body work done for just the cost of materials. Bummer that GHS has to pony up for more materials and maybe wait out a couple airplane jobs, but he's got it made, cost wise. Were I in his shoes, I'd prolly also be pissed because I don't like to wait anymore than the next guy. And I like my trucks a little too much. Hopefully I wouldn't lose sight of the financial big picture.

And I wonder if GHS gets to use the company account # to get his autobody supplies at wholesale. Oops, there I go again.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:04 AM   #45
green68c10
Ditto Head

GEEEEZ....I GIVE UP!
Old 12-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #46
GreyHoundSteve

WOW! Im glad to see that this thread has come full circle. I agree with ALOT of what has been said and its obvous that others are confused in their statements so let me try to better explain the situation.

For those who have a problem with the labor arrangement, its like this; I grew up around most of these guys and this is NOT the first resto project ANY of them have worked on and infact my father usually lets them work on their own projects on HIS TIME unless he has something else for them to do and i would dare to say that 80% of them have project vehicles they are in the process of working on and they help themselves to free leather and other expensive materials all the time without having to even ask because thats the kind of employer my father is and many of them went out of their way to help me with my truck despite having other things they could have been doing and those people are the reason i was so upset. They busted their tails so that my truck looked perfect and then some doofus who i have never met destroys all that hard work with one careless mistake. Now maybe some of you guys dont appreciate hard work being ruined by careless mistakes made by others but I DO (call it a pet peave of mine).

My fathers company has about 60 employees and he started with just one, himself, in our shed next to the mobile home we lived in 22 years ago. He came to Tx because he was an automotive uposter and heard that a guy could make a decent living in TX so he packed up his three kids and wife and moved us to TX from SD with nothing more than the money in his pocket and a bus ticket and he busted his butt night and day to grow his business into what it is today and most of the people he employs came from an automotive background and he gave them the training and skills to make it in aviation (not to mention the higher salary that goes along with it).

As for the dumb F*** who said "i wouldnt go to a dentist for a hemroid" or whatever stupid thing it was ..... they have a full service paint booth that far exceeds anything youd find at your local body shop and every possible tool you can imagine not to mention that EVERY PERSON working on the truck spent most of their career working in an automotive capacity so your foolish statements are unfounded and a waste of time and only displays your ignorance. Imo your the one who needs to grow up, you made a snap decision having no facts of the situation and have continued to fuel it with absolutely NOTHING to back up your comments so i can only assume that you derive pleasure from insulting someone you know nothing about which imo screams of immaturity ....... in other words ..... check yourself fool.

As i mentioned before, i have a tax office and last year i did 27 returns for my fathers employees. I spent 3 days during tax season at the shop and these guys got their taxes done at my cost on company time because thats the kind of guy i am and if i can help out my father i do, and if he can help me out he does. I always thought thats what family does for each other? BTW 4 of my relatives work for his company ranging from my older sister who has worked for him for 14 years now to my fathers uncle who runs the purchasing dept, to my brother in law who works the inventory room to my cousin who just got out of jail and just started as a grunt.

Aviation is fickle and instead of having layoffs these guys they were given a task to keep them busy and i dont know wtf some of you do for a living that has you doing one specific task all day long but when im not working on someones taxes im not sitting on my ass waiting for something to do ...... i manage every other aspect of my business (including the grunt work) and then run another business besides because i have witnessed first hand that hard work pays off and i want the same thing for my family. I have never told my boss at any job "thats not what i was hired to do" and if i ever heard that from any of my employees then my response would be "then find employment elsewhere" because i wont tolerate people in my business who arent motivated to help my company suceed. Like my father i hire mostly people with other backgrounds and train them to do what i do and pay them salaries that exceed what they would have topped out at had they stayed doing what they were doing. In fact, i just hired 3 bright young ladies two weeks ago who have no more experience than answering the telephone and in four months time all 3 will have made more money than each of them made all of last year. Next year if i ask one of them to work the phones because we are slow i would be shocked to hear "i wasnt hired to answer phones" and if i do hear that i will send them packing because they arent the type of person who is going to make my company sucessful with an attitude like that.

UPDATE ON THE TRUCK: I spoke with the two guys who did the paint and body work and they have offered to finish the work on the weekends because they need some holiday $ and neither of them want something like what happened to happen again to their hard work so they want full responsability and i am obligued to give them that. So in the end i guess everything worked out. The guys who want to help will make some extra holiday $ and the guys who dont can hope something else comes up fast. The original arrangement was more benificial to myself and the shops employees but since ive come to realize that *some* people would rather do nothing than keep busy then i guess i'll help out those who do want to keep busy. In the end i guess the cream always rises to the top. Thanks for letting me vent here ..... thats all this was but i will be sure to keep it to myself next time.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #47
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Dale
I hope the members of this forum take note of how you choose to deal with people as i will be sure to avoid any dealings with you in the future. BTW, NONE of my fathers employees visit this board and i have not spoken to ANY of them regarding the accident, it is not my place to do so but anyone who draws a paycheck for a days work has NO RIGHT to "half a**" anything imo but you are the EXACT type of person this thread was directed at.

Here is another situation i encounted that sounds like another individual of YOUR caliber.

I took my accura to get a brake job a few years ago and when i picked up my car i didnt get 2 miles down the road before my abs light came on. I turned around and went back to the place i had the work performed and informed them of the problem. The manager told me he could get to it tomorrow and so i left the car with him again. The next day i called to check on the status of my car and the manager told be he hadnt looked at it yet but would get to it later that day. I called the next day and he said he had corrected the problem and i could pick my car up. I did and i didnt get half a mile down the road before i had a front brake pad come off the caliper ruining the brand new rotor and damaging the brakes. I walked back to the shop and told the guy about what had happened and his reply was " you got an accura, i guess you should have taken it to the dealership". I bought the accura with 130k for $4500 dollars but this POS assumed i was rich and so he didnt care about me or the damage his shop caused to my car.

I only hope that guys like him and you get whats coming to you and encounter the same type of service that you render to others.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:37 PM   #48
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

People make mistakes, that's all he's saying. Why are you getting so defensive
Old 12-07-2004, 02:00 PM   #49
GreyHoundSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy70C-10
People make mistakes, that's all he's saying. Why are you getting so defensive
If anyone else is of the opinion that i do not understand that people make mistakes you are wrong! I understand PERFECTLY that people make mistakes and THAT is the point of this thread. My point is that i am tired of SO MANY people making so many mistakes and this particular one just happened to be the straw that broke the camels back hense i felt the need for the post (while i was upset).

Heres another shining example: I went to an oil change place to get by oil done. I sat there for about 30 minutes before i hear my name get called. I go to the counter thinking its done and its time to pay. Instead the guy informs me that they dont have the filter for my car. I say okay and although i am annoyed for having waited 30 minutes to find out about this i am not upset and i say nothing about it. Then he tells me that the problem is that they already took the old filter off my car and threw it in the pile and they dont know which one it was. My first thought is ..... YIKES, how does something like this happen? Shouldnt there be a procedure to prevent this from happeneing? But i say nothing. Then he askes me to sit tight while he calls the owner at home and figures out what to do. He calls me back to the counter and asks me if i brought a filter with me? Now im really getting upset because i realize that this person is a moron but i reply with a simple "no i didnt". He asks me to take a seat again and then picks up the phone again and makes a call. Then he goes out to the shop area and talks with another employee. Then the other employee comes in and asks me what they can do to fix the situation? I told him "well you could go to the auto parts store a block down the road and get me a filter". I could see the light bulb go off above his head and he acted like i had just invented electricity or something. An hour after i got there i finally was able to leave having paid full price. Needless to say i havent returned there.

This is a story not uncommon to my dealings with MOST people. How many of you check your orders at the drive thru window only to discover that the order is wrong WAY TO OFTEN and that assuming the order is going to be correct is a mistake on YOUR part? Again, its accepted as part of life but there is no reason it should be and i guess that was my point here was that i maybe make a few mistakes a year and when they happen they are so rare that i do EVERYTHING in my power to correct them and make sure that they dont happen again and then i ALWAYS offer retrabution for the inconvienance but it seems i cant find another person who shares my expectations for things getting done correctly the first time.

EVERYONE knows mistakes will happen but it doesnt mean that mistakes should be expected or accepted as the standard. If that is the direction this world is headed then we are all in very serous trouble.

Last edited by GreyHoundSteve; 12-07-2004 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #50
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I do all my work myself because I get nothing but bad service, garages, resturants, basically everywhere. Also, I do all my own work on my truck because I am a teacher. I teach Social Studies in inner city Gary, In and in my spare time I teach young children with learning disabilities how to read. I hope I never do have to work for you in the future. I also believe the way a man speaks of others and the way he treats them says something of their character and I believe you showed us that.

Last edited by Dick Dale; 12-07-2004 at 02:26 PM.
Closed Thread