The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2002, 08:35 PM   #1
Orence1

Post Lets fight the gas companies!

Guys,
Kind of a long post but read through it, the guy may have a good idea here.
Larry
Subject: Gas Prices
> >
I hear we are going to hit close to $3.00 a
gallon by the summer. Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take some
intelligent, united action.Phillip Hollsworth, offered this good idea: This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them. BUT, whoever thought of this idea has come up with a plan that can really work.
Please read it and join with us! Now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about
$1.50 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently
$1.97 for regular unleaded in
my town.(California) Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have
conditioned us to think that the cost of a
gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50-$1.75,we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace....not sellers. With the price of
gasoline going up more each day, we consumers
need to take action. The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocket book WITHOUT
hurting ourselves. How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas. But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war. Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies (which now are one),EXXON and MOBIL. If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to about thirty people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! . .If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each,
then 30 million people will have been
contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!. . Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all. (If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... well,let's face it, you just
aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust
me on this one.) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out
to ten more people within one day of receipt,
all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you? Acting together we can make a difference.If this makes sense to you,
please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES AND KEEP THEM
DOWN. THIS CAN REALLY WORK. YOU KNOW THEY LOVE HOLIDAYS AND SUMMER TRAVELERS.

Leroy Foreman
Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:41 PM   #2
Reumster
L.E.D. Freak

Thumbs up

Done I sent it to all my address book. Sounds good to me. We need to do something, but

FYI a $1.50 gal for gas expensive! It's outragous in my book. It should be a buck! dollar a gallon. Period.

------------------
1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi/NOS. Power is nothing without control!
(406)675-8082
or Joel @ jmcwaters@eps-corp.net

1972 2wd Blazer, 350/700R4/3:73 posi, err & Custom L.E.D. inserts! LOL
Reumster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:43 PM   #3
Longhorn Al
Texas Longhorn For Life

That's a good idea, but we CAN'T reach all 300 million people in America. There are kids, old people, homeless people, mentally handicapped, people in institutions, etc. But I don't think it would take all 300 million. I'm already doing my part. I only go to Diamond Shamrock.

------------------
1970 C-10 named HOSS
350/350, PS, PB, 3.07 gears
Future Motivation: 383 stroker, KB flat-top pistons, RPM intake and heads, 750cfm Edelbrock, & headers.
For pics of my truck go here: http://communities.msn.com/1970HOSS/shoebox.msnw?Page=1
Future Projects: 1969 Pontiac GTO and 1974 International Scout II

Hook 'Em from Austin, TEXAS

\m/ Hook 'Em from Austin, TEXAS
Longhorn Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:44 PM   #4
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Have you ever concidered how much a gallon of milk is compaired to a gallon of gas. Or how about 12 oz of bottled water for $1. In Eroupe Gas is $4-$5 a gallon. Its a good idea but I doubt if it will work. I promise not to buy from Exxon/Mobil, I work for Chevrontexaco R&D Figuer I'll catch Hell for it but hey they pay WELL

------------------
Steve's 70 CST
Soon to have a BB

[This message has been edited by 1970 CST Short Wide (edited April 10, 2002).]
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:58 PM   #5
68 Suburban

Oh, it is the old $3 a gallon scare. Didn't we see this same thing last year? I hate to say it because I am going to catch a lot of grief, but we Americans are wasteful and sooner or later we are going to pay for it. No one wants to conserve fuel. I guarantee that if fuel went up to $3 a gallon you would not see so many 9 mpg suv/trucks on the road. But, I seriously doubt gas is going to get much more than it was last year.

Quote:
The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocket book WITHOUT
hurting ourselves.
This is the problem with Americans thinking. We never want to feel any pain. Trade in that 8 mpg Expedition and get a vehicle that gets 30 mpg if you want to have a real effect.

------------------
Check out other members trucks

1968 50th Anniversary C-10 Suburban (Tows all these cars all over the place)
1968 50th Anniversary C-10 Pickup
1968 50th Anniversary C-20 Pickup CST, FOR SALE
1969 SS Camaro Conv't
1960 Lakewood Travel Trailer
1963 Ford Falcon Wagon, FOR SALE
2000 Chevy Malibu (Suppose to be daily driver, but the Burb is)

Phoenix, AZ.

Click Here for Parts and Venicles I have Available

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
67-68 SUBURBAN TRIM. $$$$ Reward
for finding the 3rd door trim piece
and the small piece that goes on
the 1/4 panel right behind the
3rd door.

[This message has been edited by 68 Suburban (edited April 10, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by 68 Suburban (edited April 11, 2002).]
Old 04-10-2002, 11:00 PM   #6
68 Suburban

Oh by the way, I just picked this up today. The last piece to my propane conversion
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1819083015

------------------

1969 SS Camaro Conv't

Phoenix, AZ.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
3rd door.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:03 PM   #7
Scrub
Collector of rusty Items

When I was a kid, in the good old days, gas was 24.9 Cents and minimum wage was 65 cents an hour. Now minimum wage is $6.50(states vary) so gas less than $2.49 is below inflation.
But that doesn't mean I like it.

------------------
Scrub
70 GMC 1,000,000 + miles
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
72 K-20 project, 456 Dana60 front, Corp14 rear w/locker, 265R19.5 tires 20-ply. Warn 12k winches both ends, Cross-over steering with raised tie-rod, Powerbox steering, 4500 watt 120-AC power, Air, Hydraulic aux power, 4 inch lift, 5000 lb air-bags both ends.
Scrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 11:25 PM   #8
68 Suburban

The price of gas has been the biggest bargain for the past 20 years. When I graduated High School back in 1982 gas was about $1.35 a gallon. It is the same price today! That $1.35 today would be $2.53 in 1982 dollars!

You can check it out on this calculator. http://www.westegg.com/inflation/

------------------

1969 SS Camaro Conv't

Phoenix, AZ.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
3rd door.

Old 04-10-2002, 11:40 PM   #9
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Done!!! Larry, where have you been hiding? I thought you were going to be in Spokane until Saturday?
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:16 AM   #10
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Federal min wage is $5.15.
I never buy Exxon, so I guess you can count me in.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:20 AM   #11
Orence1

I have two frustrations with the oil companies. First, the way in which they raise and lower prices. Have you noticed that when oil prices go up, pump prices jump up very quickly. When they go down, prices drop nowwhere near as fast. My second beef is what appears to be their industry wide price fixing. In any retail market there are always companies who will attempt to capture your business by lowering prices significantly thereby profitting through volume sales. I am not aware of any oil company operating on that basis. I appears to me that the industry standard is "Lets all sell at this price. There are plenty of consumers out there for all of us" And if I understand federal trade laws, that is an example of price fixing which is illegal.
Larry
Orence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:29 AM   #12
68 Suburban

I was loving it when they were price fixing at 93 cents a gallon...lol. Im not taking the sides of the oil companies, but there are a lot of factors detemining the cost. The Federal Government with there fuel mixture policies have a big effect on supply and demand. If you want to hurt the oild companies, buy a fuel efficient car.

------------------

1969 SS Camaro Conv't

Phoenix, AZ.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
3rd door.

Old 04-11-2002, 12:31 AM   #13
AZ68

Thumbs down

Im with 68 suburban on this --- stop driving so much -- i take a bus several times a week to work not because I have to but I want to
it gives me time to read the paper in the morning and unwind on the way home - sure I sacrifice some time- but we all as americans are moving too fast trying to catch our asses . because we want too much and cant be content with what we have.. so slow down a bit. smell the roses. spend time with the family, sell those new trucks, get out of debt. yo wanna talk about thiefs try on those who offer all the credit cards and ) down pay later. who is in control of your lives ?

AZ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:34 AM   #14
AZ68

Thumbs down

Im with 68 suburban on this --- stop driving so much -- i take a bus several times a week to work not because I have to but I want to
it gives me time to read the paper in the morning and unwind on the way home - sure I sacrifice some time- but we all as americans are moving too fast trying to catch our asses . because we want too much and cant be content with what we have.. so slow down a bit. smell the roses. spend time with the family, sell those new trucks, get out of debt. you wanna talk about thiefs try on those who offer all the credit cards and 0 down pay later. who is in control of your lives ?

AZ68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 02:30 AM   #15
O'l Buck
Recovering Truck Driver

done!!

Chad
South Central Nebraska
O'l Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 08:06 AM   #16
tom hand
CCRider

That is the biggest crock of Sh!t I have ever heard. Americans burn X amount of gallons of gas a day. If every body in America quit buying gas from exxon tomorrow,there would be no way the "little" gas companys could keep up. So what would they do,they would get their gas from exxon.
All the gas companys are in bed together so you are not going to change anything by changing brands. Exxon has more power in this country than the president. If this country had any sense we would be developing alteritive fuels so we would not be at the mercy of the towelheads. Any vehicle that runs on gas could easily converted to run on alcohol. Brazil has been converting over for years. Hell farmers would never be out of work tring to grow all the corn we would need to brew the stuff.

------------------
72 GMC Sierra SWB almost finished---- 84 Softail
Olive Branch MS

Old 04-11-2002, 09:33 AM   #17
LeRoy
Registered truck nut

Smile

There are so many factors in this equation that it's mind boggling. Everyone starts yelling at the manufacture. At best there just a middle man. I work at an oil refinery and can't believe the money spent, just in keeping the refinery profitable. Seems like every project costs atleast a million dollars. The last major shutdown (revamp) cost 300 million. Now we have to spend millions more to meet the new EPA emmissions standards. Like some have said the only way to help is to stop using so much fuel. We as Americans are just plain spoiled and have no concept of how good we have it. I'm tired of people *****ing all the time. My 2 cents

------------------
MOUNT VERNON, WASH. STATE
GOT MY BASES COVERED
-Big and bad 70 CST Blazer
-71 K5 Blazer, 350, 4spd, 2" lift, 35" BFG mudders, Camo,
-Work in progress 72 SWB
-72 Cheyenne, lwb, 1/2 ton, 4x4, V8, 4spd.
-71, 3/4 ton, 402/400, Custom Camper
-69, 2wd, ST6, auto, ghetto lowered, 3/4 ton, LWB, "BOMBER"
-69 Chev. short narrow 4x4
-69 Chev., lwb, utility trailer, 35" tires,
Add or Delete Daily

Old 04-11-2002, 09:54 AM   #18
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

You know, it is funny how the oil companies are recording record profits though, even though they claim they are selling it as cheap as they can get away with.

------------------
'69 G.M.C. 350/350. Trying to clean up the left over damage from the Dope-Smokin-Old-Man
I've been dubbed the Longhorn Freak/Fanatic/Expert, I just hope I can live up to it.
FINALLY got the HORNIAC...a '70 one ton Longhorn with a Pontiac 350/350 and lots of 'personality'. Check out The Longhorn Webite.
If you need a pic posted, E-mail me at longhornmail@yahoo.com
Andy, in Columbus Ohio

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 10:44 AM   #19
70 Jimmy
aka Crusher, Crushergmc

Buying your gas from other companies WILL NOT HELP! They all get it from the same regional refineries. You put Cheveron in your tank, it's from the same refinery (ie BP, Montsanto, etc.) as Town Pump. Only the formula/additives are a little different (maybe). One way to help is to Federally standardize the refinery process. That way people in Oregon can buy there gas from anywhere in the nation, not just the 4 refineries in California.

By the way, I drive a commuter car for economy and my trucks for fun.

------------------
"KEEP IT DOWN!"
70 Jimmy 454 2wd
56 GMC Big Window

"It's funny till someone gets hurt, then it's freakin' hilarious"
70 Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:20 AM   #20
tractorman4840

Well, I have to go with the ethanol/alcohol plan. American Farmers are struggling and this would help them in a big way. They have the technology and the ability to produce large amounts but have been kept from begining mass production of ethanol by the oil companies.
1949 JD MT current project
1998 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.5L diesel
tractorman4840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 11:44 AM   #21
oteixeira

Y'all are probably going to laugh at me....but. I do my part. I HATE imports, as I bet most of you do too, but I drive a Honda Insight as my daily driver. Why? Well, because it gets from point A to point B at 70mpg. When I bought it I thought this is going to take a lot of getting used to, but it really isn't that bad. I get in the truck when I want to have fun/work/play. But to go to work every day (a 140 mile round trip commute for me) I drive the little go cart. I agree that this is the best way to fix the gas problems, get more gas friendly cars. Now, I am not say we need to throw away our trucks, God forbid, but for driving to work and back, go get an old cavalier, and pick up close to 20 mpg right off.....

Just my .02

Orlando
Old 04-11-2002, 12:01 PM   #22
Desert Rat

Yep my wife drives about 60 miles,was driving a 10mpg Suburban then Pickup,we did the smart thing and bought a Nissan,gets filled up once a week,my tuck was everyother day,that sucks.but its more fun to drive-you wanna pass you dont have to struggle and hope you make it,you passem all with ease.people look like wow look how fast that old junk goes!!!
Desert Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 12:10 PM   #23
68 Suburban

Quote:
You know, it is funny how the oil companies are recording record profits though, even though they claim they are selling it as cheap as they can get away with.
Do we ***** when other types of companies record record profits? No, we stand up and cheer. Isn't it the job of a company to record profit? It is OUR OWN FAULT that we have put the oil companies and OPEC in this possition! We as Americans have to stop pointing the finger and take it upon ourselves to solve what ever oil problems you feel we are in! If you drive a gas guzzler, you have no room to ***** about the oil companies. We have been warned for 27 year about our dependends on oil, but we keep building and buying vehicles that get poor gas milage.

And sure there is room for trucks like ours. I always am trying to see how many mpg I can squeeze out of my Suburban rather than how fast I can get to the next traffic light. It didn't matter when gas was 93 cents, I still was tweaking for mpg. Now I am not saying that you should not be able to build your truck as fast as you want, but if it is your daily driver and you cant afford 8mpg, you really have no room to *****.

My truck gets 15.5 mpg on the highway, and I am always looking to get more.

------------------

1969 SS Camaro Conv't

Phoenix, AZ.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
3rd door.

[This message has been edited by 68 Suburban (edited April 11, 2002).]
Old 04-11-2002, 12:38 PM   #24
Longhorn Al
Texas Longhorn For Life

Y'all want to know what is hurting gas prices? It's those outrageous taxes. They range from 30-55 cents a gallon. That's ridiculous. California has a 45.5 cent tax on every gallon of gasoline you buy. Here in Texas it's 38.3. Go here to check out what your state's is: http://www.energy.ca.gov/fuels/gasol..._by_state.html

Also, we've been able to find a huge oil reserve in the Gulf of Mexico within the last year or so. If the Democrats will allow us to drill it, we won't have anywhere near the dependence on the rag-heads.

Quote:
Industry and the Department of the Interior estimate that new discoveries in the Gulf of Mexico may yield as much as 25 billion barrels of oil equivalent – more oil than Prudhoe Bay, Alaska. Technological innovations in subsalt imaging, reservoir characterization, and drilling technologies have enhanced the ability to discover such potential reserves.
Go here to read about it: http://www.fe.doe.gov/oil_gas/diagnostics/

------------------
1970 C-10 named HOSS
350/350, PS, PB, 3.07 gears
Future Motivation: 383 stroker, KB flat-top pistons, RPM intake and heads, 750cfm Edelbrock, & headers.
For pics of my truck go here: http://communities.msn.com/1970HOSS/shoebox.msnw?Page=1
Future Projects: 1969 Pontiac GTO and 1974 International Scout II

Hook 'Em from Austin, TEXAS

\m/ Hook 'Em from Austin, TEXAS
Longhorn Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2002, 01:12 PM   #25
68 Suburban

That right find more to burn instead of conserving. What happens when that runs out? Wait until China's demand for oil increases in the next ten years! You will really be paying for gas.

------------------

1969 SS Camaro Conv't

Phoenix, AZ.

THINGS I AM LOOKING FOR:
3rd door.