The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #26
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

Re: Not Bad for Spray Paint!

Looks good at least your appears to be road worthy...

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
Old 04-19-2009, 12:04 PM   #27
kamikazekyle05

Thats looks good hotgmc, how long did it take?
Old 04-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
Rudy67chevy
rudy67chevy

Looks koo!!
Old 04-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
kamikazekyle05

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesteel View Post
Ok I appologize. I shouldnt have just popped in and started in. WHY did you decide to use rustoleum? The amount of work that looks like has been done to the truck(looks pretty straight, shaved emblems, door handles, ect...).does the truck not deserve a better paint job? No matter what you do, it will ALWAYS be a rattle can paint job at best. Like I said before, for a couple hundred bucks you could have prepped the truck and taken it to MAACO and had a decent job done.
Because maaco is known for their great paint jobs For what he did and what it cost him, i thinks it looks good. Quit hating..
Old 04-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #30
68 short step

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesteel View Post
What would be the point in this? .
point is, im instrested in finding a good paint/body person to do the paint/body for some of the trucks i do....you claim to be a paint/body guy for over 20 years, you offer discourageing help, put down others, and have yet to back-up your skills.....im not a fan of painting your truck with a rattle can or useing maaco either, but i kept my mouth shut...so the point is, your words would have more credit, and sound less condescending, if you offer help with less attitude....also i wanna see how good your work is
Old 04-19-2009, 01:18 PM   #31
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

The product is the main issue here. There was never a comment that he did a bad job spray painting his rig. Vintage (and all of us other pros) have this discussion a lot in other boards. It is just tough to know the bad that has been done to the and trying to give advice and get accused of "ripping into people". Sorry guys, but he is right. The Macco job would save money and look better. And it would last longer.
The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 PM   #32
Driveway Dreams
I have car A.D.D.

And to back up my own statement of the pros here is one I did.
Attached Images

The 86 build thread SOLD

Are you a Colorado member?Click here.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #33
vintagesteel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 short step View Post
point is, im instrested in finding a good paint/body person to do the paint/body for some of the trucks i do....you claim to be a paint/body guy for over 20 years, you offer discourageing help, put down others, and have yet to back-up your skills.....im not a fan of painting your truck with a rattle can or useing maaco either, but i kept my mouth shut...so the point is, your words would have more credit, and sound less condescending, if you offer help with less attitude....also i wanna see how good your work is
I HAVE been a paint/body guy for 21 years.
What discouraging help?
I will appologize for putting him down
As far as backing up my skills, read all my posts, I think I've backed up PLENTY
As far as my words would have more credit... I've appologized for the attitude, and NOTHING I said was FALSE. I'm NOT a fan of MAACO.But it's obvious he wants to do it inexpensively. You will not get a cheaper job than letting MAACO do it, especially if you dont have a place to do it your self or the skills with AUTOMOTIVE paint, . Its a fact. Prep the truck, let them spray. Then when it cures wet sand and polish. And MAACO is STILL 1000 times better than rattle can, or ANYTHING put out by rustoleum, Duplicolor, KRYLON....
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM   #34
leddzepp

Some folks don't have enough cash even for a MAACO job.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
Old 04-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #35
Shane
Account Suspended

You guys arguing back and forth need to take it elsewhere.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #36
STOCKISH
Formerly- 1972SuperCheyenne

If you cant say anything nice, dont say anything at all. If you "pros" complain about this all the time on "the other boards", go do it over there. If all he had was $20-$30 bucks in his pocket and he wanted to do something to change it up a bit then let him be. I think it looks fine and if anyone else has negative feedback keep it to yourself. I'm tired of hearing people with lots of money or better resources bad mouthing other people who dont. I thought this board was here to show our trucks and project ideas with others without having to worry about some jackass beating you down about it.

My Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=799218

A good crossthread is better than Loctite any day.

Life is not about what you have, but who you have to share it with.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #37
Shane
Account Suspended

Hey 1972SuperCheyenne ... you too need to drop it.

You're comments are only adding fuel to the fire and that is considere pot stirring.

If this keeps up the thread will be locked.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:30 PM   #38
HotGMC

I was not trying to imply that my paint job is all that great. but when i started my original primer was fading badly, and it looked like ****. it cost me roughly 30-40 bucks to do this, and honestly it looks a lot better.

you can knock on me all you want, but im still semi proud of my accomplishment. i wasnt going for show quality, i wasnt even going for maaco quality, i just was tired of looking at my light grey faded primer. it took me a day and a half total with the help of my cousin. i didnt use the can tips that came with it, i switched it for one thta came off of a Montana spray can.

(that was the unfinished side,m that i had not yet sanded or sprayed with primer)

(now this is the side i finished first with the primer.

i originally was going to just keep it all black, but me and my cousin decided to just throw some color on there, and it actually matches the dash.

and oh yeah sorry for "offending" some of you with my horrible painting skills. ha
Old 04-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #39
HotGMC

oh and about "the maaco paintjob would last longer" i wasnt expecting this to last more than a few months. this summer i should have the means to give her a real paint job, and i think im going to go with a deep metallic purple, so it looks black at night, but in the light you can tell its purple.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #40
Richard8971
Still livin the "dream" in '54

I agree with Shane. I also agree with Vintagesteel in the fact that, if you are going to spend big $$$ on wheels and tires and other accessories and then spray can your ride, you might get a member or two asking why you are choosing that route when you went high dollar on the other stuff.

If you post a thread showing how you did something, do you expect ONLY those people who agree with your way of doing something to respond?

I painted my truck orange, but not everyone likes orange. I did my interior in gray tweed, but not everyone likes tweed. If a member says, "Dude, you should have painted it blue, or you should have used Dupont instead of Valspar...", I would just kindly explain why I chose what I did so that maybe others can learn why I did something a certain way.

This site is about learning. When other members post different ideas and thoughts, when they don't agree with what you personally believe, maybe someone else reading might look at it and go, "hmmm, I never thought of doing it that way before."

Just my 2 cents, not worth allot.

Don

My '67 stepper "Tangerine Dream"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing right" James Dean

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 04-19-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #41
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1972SuperCheyenne View Post
I thought this board was here to show our trucks and project ideas with others without having to worry about some jackass beating you down about it.
Supercheyenne, I don't appreciate you calling another member a jackass in the public forums. If you have a problem with what someone else has said, take it up with one of the staff.

D

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 04-19-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:49 PM   #42
Richard8971

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotGMC View Post
oh and about "the maaco paintjob would last longer" i wasnt expecting this to last more than a few months. this summer i should have the means to give her a real paint job, and i think im going to go with a deep metallic purple, so it looks black at night, but in the light you can tell its purple.
HotGMC... I don't think anyone was trying to single you out. The spray can paint job thing has been beaten more times than little boy blue's drum.

The "pros" that have been so-called are just trying to give you a nickels worth of free advice. I know that myself formost, I have learned alot from trial and error. I have made plenty of mistakes in paint and body work and when I suggest something, it is in an effort to help someone else aviod my mistakes. Vintagesteel is only trying to do the same thing. Personally, I think that any amount of money you can spend on spray can stuff can be put away for decent equipment/decent paint so that perhaps you might learn a trade out of it. Might be something you really like and want to continue doing...

If someone were to start a thread and say that they assembled their truck using only pliers and a screwdriver, and you saw the pics and saw that all the bolts were chewed up and rounded, would you be picking on him if you suggested a cheap socket and ratchet set? I think all of this should be put back into perspective.

You can put oil instead of water in your radiator...if you saw someone doing that, wouldn't you say something? Or what if you knew of a better tool for the job than the one they are using. Would you say something? There is no substitute for the right tool for the job. Ask any mechanic... how is painting cars any different?

Just something to think about....

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo

Last edited by Richard8971; 04-19-2009 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #43
HotGMC

You can put oil instead of water in your radiator...if you saw someone doing that, wouldn't you say something?

that right there i find kind of.. dumb. that is just common sense though. the paint this is all about opinion.

im not sticking up for it saying its the best thing for my truck. but for a paintjob that will only be on for a few months i dont think its that bad. i have been rolling around with fading primer for a year and have just gotten sick of it.

hate it or love it, its my truck and im not really trippin to hard of people hating on it. if im happy with it for now, then thats all that matters since im the only one going to look at it for the next few months
Old 04-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #44
Richard8971

Quote:
that right there i find kind of.. dumb. that is just common sense though. the paint this is all about opinion.
Well, I don't hate or like your truck. It is your truck, and so far I haven't said the first negative thing about it or to you.

To the "pros", painting your truck with rustoleum is like putting oil in your radiator. That's all I am saying, all I was suggesting was to look at it from thier perspective and why they said something.

D

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #45
HotGMC

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oNm_IY6YHU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1oNm_IY6YHU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Old 04-19-2009, 03:09 PM   #46
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

Looks good from here!

My truck looked like this for 8 or 9 years.

In 2006 I had the time/money to paint it myself!

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 04-19-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #47
vintagesteel

Quote:
You can put oil instead of water in your radiator...if you saw someone doing that, wouldn't you say something?

That is EXACTLY is how the people who do this for a living feel when they see someone doing this. You are right it is your truck. I will appologize to you PERSONALLY(as personal as you can get on a computer) for what I said earlier. Now, with that said, like I have stated earlier, when you spend money this summer for a real paint job(which YOU stated you plan on doing) it will cost you MORE money now that you have used this type of paint. It will have to be ALL taken back off because you will have problems with the new paint.I promise. This is what happens when everybody just goes on saying good job, when actually someone should speak up. It will cost YOU more money and TIME to do it right next time. It doesnt matter to them because THEY arent paying for it or doing the work, you are. It also shouldnt matter to me for the same reasons, but when I see someone doing it wrong, I will speak up. I can guaranty though, that if you go ahead and do it this way, you will be wishing you would have listened. Just my 2 cents. And for the record, I NEVER said anything about HATING it.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #48
HotGMC

i could not put the video on here for some reason so check it out, you can hear how it sounds.

and richard sorry for snapping back
Old 04-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #49
Richard8971

Quote:
and richard sorry for snapping back
We're fine. Sometimes it's very hard on here to explain in words what we are trying to get across. Good luck with your project and keep us posted with progress pics!

d

Sherlock Holmes

"There is no spoon." Neo
Old 04-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #50
HotGMC

wintagesteel - i do not plan on painting the whole truck that color, i just wanted to add a little bit of color. i am going to keep the truck primer all around but just wanted the cab to pop. '

i will see how hard it is getting that paint off when it comes time to get it painted. i will end up doing all the prep work by myself. when it comes time to part ways will the color i will probably be sending you a message.
Closed Thread