The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #4051
DransportGarage

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by la hi View Post
Windshield install!! Why don't you call Safelite glass and have them come to your garage and install the windshield in a couple of hours for a couple hundred dollars. Worked for me on the 57
Well, mostly because for me life is a challenge, not an invoice to be paid. That's why me and the wife built our own house 18 years ago, and the only sub that showed up here after that was the lawn care guy. I'll let you know when I get the windshield in.

(Besides, my guy's glass company can work rings around Safelite.)
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #4052
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
Well, mostly because for me life is a challenge, not an invoice to be paid. That's why me and the wife built our own house 18 years ago, and the only sub that showed up here after that was the lawn care guy. I'll let you know when I get the windshield in.

(Besides, my guy's glass company can work rings around Safelite.)
I had a horrid experience with a 56 truck years ago. I had chopped the top on it, THEN brought it to the glass shop to have them cut the glass...big mistake. If you were to chop one, you have the glass cut after the initial cut and weld on the top, then you make the roof fit the glass! No kidding!

Anyway, so I had little money, I was a moron new in business (this was literally one of my very first jobs in my shop I had just opened) and I gave him a fixed price for the whole job, $1600. Yep, $1600 for the chop, truck back to him with all the glass installed even when I did it in 1982 this was cheap, but it was even worse because I ended up after buying another roof because the owner screwed up the one on the truck starting a chop himself, and then paying for two broken windshields the guy tried to cut and fit in the truck I ended up with $300 profit, which means I made about a dollar an hour, no kidding! LOL

Yeah, I got a call from the glass shop that he had just broken the second windshield! I went and got the truck brought it back to the shop and with the advice of a local customizer I made a fiberglass template of the windshield out of the new one I bought, I cut it down to fit the roof, then modified the roof to fit it then gave that template to the glass shop to cut the glass. Wham, it was done, glass installed (this was a different glass shop.)

It blows my ever loving mind that I never got a single photo of that truck, or many other cars I did there, too busy trying to make a living.

Sorry for the long story that didn't help you a bit. LOL

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:16 PM   #4053
nvrdone

just goes to show we all screw up things. that's how we learn life's lessons.
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #4054
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Yep!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #4055
dsraven

hey mick, with your machinist skills why not just build one from billet and be done? no leaks that way.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #4056
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
That brings to mind one of the three sayings I've made up over the years:

"Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition's a b__ch."

(The by-line in my signature is another one of mine...)

...and thanks, Brian, for the story. I've heard about the chopped glass nightmares, but have never been stupid enough to try that. I neve thought of fitting the roof to the bed!
Old 12-09-2019, 04:23 AM   #4057
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
hey mick, with your machinist skills why not just build one from billet and be done? no leaks that way.
In retrospect might have been easier but I have very little skill And having to locate everything without a reference point would have been hard to say the least. Then you have round bottom fins and other details. My tools are not that great. This will be just fine and I learned a lot.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 05:58 AM   #4058
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DransportGarage View Post
That brings to mind one of the three sayings I've made up over the years:

"Experience is the best teacher, but the tuition's a b__ch."

(The by-line in my signature is another one of mine...)
I often quote your second one, but what's the third?

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 12-09-2019 at 06:08 AM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #4059
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I often quote your second one, but what's the third?
"The last 10 years are highly overrated."

(...so go ahead and eat that donut, or power shift to second, or go skydiving, or do whatever else "they" say is bad for you.)
Old 12-09-2019, 10:25 AM   #4060
nvrdone

the one I like is" live fast, die young, be a good looking corpse. in my case 1 out of 3 an't bad" guess where I fit...

The other one is" keep smiling - it makes the world wonder what the heck you're up to"

Last edited by nvrdone; 12-09-2019 at 10:26 AM. Reason: add
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #4061
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Yep!
Brian
Hey Brian, I did some modifications to the toy truck you gave me. Tried to PM but I can't post photos there.
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #4062
evilokc

drive to work. its chilly. gld my heats working. really need to seal up my cab though. talk about a draft.
evilokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #4063
Marty68

very NICE
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #4064
evilokc

playing around with my non functioning headlight, gauge lights, parking lights,tail lights. I still have brake lights. the headlight fuse checked out fine. im testing the switch itself and im not sure about the results. im getting no resistance on all but one terminal and on that one im getting about 3ohms. that's not a lot but compared to the .01 im getting for all the other terminals its pretty big.
Old 12-10-2019, 08:51 PM   #4065
DransportGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
playing around with my non functioning headlight, gauge lights, parking lights,tail lights. I still have brake lights. the headlight fuse checked out fine. im testing the switch itself and im not sure about the results. im getting no resistance on all but one terminal and on that one im getting about 3ohms. that's not a lot but compared to the .01 im getting for all the other terminals its pretty big.
Check the voltage with respect to ground on both of those "3 ohm" contacts. The two measurements should be the same.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:05 PM   #4066
evilokc

I found a ground wire on the back of the fuse panel hanging loose. its clear from the condition of the bare wire that its been inside something. it looks brand new. I haven't found the place it came out of yet but at least I have something to go on.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #4067
mick53

My custom spindles came today. I have been trying to get this done for a couple of years. I had to take legal action against one company that had them for 6 months to get them back. These are 12.88 disk brakes with nickle plated calipers. They only did nickle plating for a short time. The problem was they only fit a Heidts spindle profile. Nobody makes a straight axle spindle with that profile. I am not willing to give up these brakes, After talking to several people about doing it they all said at least $1k and did not know when they could do it. In the end a friend of mine that has an industrial fab shop in TN did them for me for free. I'm running a 4" drop axle custom made by super bell through Pete and Jakes. These were ford spindles to start with because I'm using ford steering setup mostly for looks. I still need to make caliper brackets. This is a major step for me. I will now send them back to Pete and Jakes to be chromed and they can finish their work.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #4068
mick53

I had to rebore my hole for the big block oil seal that shrank due to all the welding I had to do so I set the diameter on a piece of scrap. After mounting the cover I countersunk the hole on the ear into the block for repeatable mounting and recentered the hole. After drilling and before I put the seal in I checked the center on the hole and I am .006" to the upper left as pictured. That's closer than when I started so I'm calling it a win. It took a long time and I almost gave up a couple of times but I pulled it off myself and I learned a lot.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2019, 10:11 PM   #4069
Marty68

When I had trans etc installed I told him dont worry about where shifter comes up I will take care of it. He flipped trans cover front to rear... good enough...
I today built another "trans tunnel while watching Packer game.
Attached Images

Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:32 PM   #4070
Kevin Mac

Mick53, your spindles and cover plate turned out nice. I home hobby with a mill and lathe so I know how much time it takes . Keep the pictures coming.
I am just getting started installing trac lock in the 9" and changing out my th350 for a 2004r. First time getting into a rear end so I have been watching and reading a lot.
Mac
Kevin Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:45 PM   #4071
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Mac View Post
Mick53, your spindles and cover plate turned out nice. I home hobby with a mill and lathe so I know how much time it takes . Keep the pictures coming.
I am just getting started installing trac lock in the 9" and changing out my th350 for a 2004r. First time getting into a rear end so I have been watching and reading a lot.
Mac
When I was about 25 in SoCal I had just put an open driveline in my 53. It was late so I washed my hands and changed my shirt and test drove to the bar. I smelled bad with 90 weight gear oil. A hot blonde sitting next to me said I smelled good and ask me what I was wearing. Without thinking I said rear end grease. I got a drink in the face. I don't think she quite understood what I meant.
Old 12-19-2019, 09:55 AM   #4072
evilokc

I still haven't fixed my headlights. ive still been driving the truck often but im careful to get home before its dark. that's getting difficult with the sun going down earlier everyday. got to fix this stupid thing
Old 12-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #4073
MiraclePieCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilokc View Post
I still haven't fixed my headlights. ive still been driving the truck often but im careful to get home before its dark. that's getting difficult with the sun going down earlier everyday. got to fix this stupid thing
I watched an episode of Roadkill where they taped flashlights on the front of a car for headlights.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM   #4074
evilokc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiraclePieCo View Post
I watched an episode of Roadkill where they taped flashlights on the front of a car for headlights.

wont be long until im that desperate.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:28 PM   #4075
evilokc

its been very cold. 20 degrees is bad enough but you add our famous wind and its awful. my fast idle was a little high. I adjusted it...the wrong way and then it was REALLY high. I think it was about 2400rpm. I forgot that every time you fart near a holley carb it messes with float level up. I was driving home from work and the truck wasn't idling normal. wasn't stalling but the idle felt labored. i sat at the long traffic lights listening and it dawned on me that the carb was flooding. it drove home with no issue but the idle at lights. removed the air cleaner and sure enough. the main float was high but not all the way up. the secondary was ALL the way up and dripping. i adjusted the fast idle the correct direction and the floats to the correct level. im expecting it to be smooth as silk tomorrow.