The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2019, 11:18 AM   #76
dsraven

Re: If I had to do Over Again.... What would I change On My Build?

thinking back, if I do it again, I would just buy a new cab. a lot of the time and effort goes in to getting an old rusty cab back into shape. if doing some cost and feasibility studies it is a no brainer. yup, a new cab is spendy. the repair parts for a old cab are also spendy. factor in the cost of the parts, shipping, waiting, heat and lights, compressor racking up the hydro bill, tools and supplies, wear and tear on your body. then compare that to the cost of the new cab. new cab comes with new doors too. in the end we usually have a repaired cab that is still rusty on the back side of the metal where nobody sees and can sometimes be pretty thin in other areas too. we spent a lot fixing it, and the doors, and the hinges and and and. one of those cabs starts to look pretty good, especially the ones put together in America with the proper jigs and care. then spend the time on the peripherals.
just my 2 cents. the guy who never has time to actually work on the truck would be driving right now with better planning and a new cab.
just saying, spend the money on stuff that will save you time, money in the long term, and then you can drive and enjoy the truck before you lose interest and sell it unfinished.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #77
Marty68

"just my 2 cents. the guy who never has time to actually work on the truck would be driving right now with better planning and a new cab.
just saying, spend the money on stuff that will save you time, money in the long term, and then you can drive and enjoy the truck before you lose interest and sell it unfinished.[/QUOTE]
Absolutely agree. time spent saving time getting it dravalle sooner is money well spent....
my opinion.. my truck will NEVER get a $10k paint job. so it will never get painted even though I am perfectly capable..
Marty68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 04:45 PM   #78
Divine 59

I would not be on year 10 of my rebuild and year 7 of "no progress".
Old 12-06-2019, 07:19 PM   #79
vintovka

I would to review the drug tests of any shop i used.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:46 AM   #80
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divine 59 View Post
I would not be on year 10 of my rebuild and year 7 of "no progress".
Took me 10 years to get my Cobra replica built (mostly because I was travelling a lot for work, but also because I had lost the motivation). Finally I just said I am working on it at least one day every weekend and finally in 2016 it got done. Block out a day per week to work on it and do it. I also had a friend that would work with me on that one day every weekend and that made a big difference.

Wade
Old 12-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #81
1957 Chief
Proud Vet that loves the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver_WT View Post
I also had a friend that would work with me on that one day every weekend and that made a big difference.

Wade
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. It makes a WORLD of difference.

Bubba
1957 Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #82
vintovka

Unhappy Re: If I had to do Over Again.... What would I change On My Build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post

Bubba
I can second that. Going it alone and having to pay for "help" is something i won't attempt again.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #83
Driver_WT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1957 Chief View Post

Bubba
That same friend is now helping with the 53 Chevy Truck and he is a great welder with good equipment
Old 02-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #84
jhnpldng

Three years later, I regret not having started yet. Couldn't quite afford everything the first year. Had to buy us a new daily driver and some other things the second year. Last year we bought another 7 acres to go with the current 7 and so I decided to get started on fencing in about 12 acres. Fence costs a lot of damn money.

This year, I'm building a truck dammit.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:12 PM   #85
weim55

I've preached this many times to others but haven't always adhered to my own words: "Save up and purchase the absolute most solid rust free and complete truck as possible. Take the time and travel to purchase the right example. Spend the money up front. This will save you time and $$ in the long run in a BIG way. You will be driving the finished product much sooner with much less time and money spent overall."

I have a truck in pieces that will likely never see the road anytime in the next 10 years because of breaking my own above rule. Surprises in life happen and derail the best laid plans. Better to have a truck that could be driven and enjoyed than a bunch of plans in dusty boxes waiting..................

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote