The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-14-2018, 09:16 PM   #1
buffydores

Squarebody 73-87 Brake Upgrade

Just wanted to share my experience in brake upgrades. For the half tons there's a factory brake upgrade available to us. There's a big piston caliper (JB7/JD7 - 13" - 3-5/32" piston diameter) that increases the clamping force by 15% over the standard smaller piston caliper (JB6/JD6 - 11" - 2-15/16" piston diameter). The big caliper showed up in the mid 80s 3/4 ton trucks. It's a bolt on. Starting in 1979, they started using the 10mm banjo bolt. Earlier than that, the banjo bolt was like 7/16". So pre 79 trucks might require a new set of lines coming off the frame to the caliper.

As far as brake pads, I've started to run EBCs Ultimax 2 pads for the D50 GM calipers. These suckers are rated GG friction, which is top notch. They have the cold bite you need in a daily driver. They also have the break in coating that helps get the pads seated to the rotor real nice. I can stand my Blazer, running heavy 35s, on its toes.

If you're running a heavy setup, and you don't want to go hydroboost, this is the ticket.

And please, please follow the break in procedure. Probably the most important aspect of the upgrade.

Last edited by buffydores; 12-15-2018 at 07:41 AM.
buffydores is offline   Reply With Quote