The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #1
rgunlock

Stereo recommendation - starting from scratch in 78 GMC K15

I've searched this site and googled in general, quite a bit. Looking for recommendations for entire stereo system for my 78. I know squat about stereos and the more I read the more bewildered I get. I've been searching for a "buy this, this and this, and you'll be satisfied with the result". Can't find it! Haven't a clue how to match up head unit outputs to an amp to speakers, etc.

I know there will be a million opinions and I'm willing to sort through them. I'm an older fella and like country and classic rock along the lines of Journey and Boston. Not looking for a high-end killer system and don't want to go broke putting together a system, but I do want the system to sound clear in my old squarebody. I am doing a full restore on this truck with sound deadener and new weatherstripping, etc. so hopefully I won't have to overcome wind noise, etc.

My doors haven't been cut, so I'd prefer to leave them intact. I did purchase some cab corner 6x9 brackets from member BigBlock73 so I do want to use those. My dash has been cut by the PO, but original metal was just folded back where the knobs come through. Could go retro or modern, but I prefer to keep it simple. Don't want to have to spend a lot of time figuring out how to operate my new stereo, i.e. I "like" having push button presets!

I listen to FM radio 99% of the time. I like a scan function when I'm traveling, but most of the time a couple of presets suit me fine. I'd like to be able to use iPod or iPhone for my stored music, and cable connect is fine. Bluetooth is a plus I'd say, but I don't talk on the phone when I'm driving so it would just be to play music off the phone. Don't need satellite stereo.

I know this is a pretty broad "ask", but an end-to-end parts list or a link to such a parts list is what I'm looking for. I don't have any ambition to become a stereo expert so I'm tired of trying to sort it out, but also know I don't want to pay for a custom audio shop to do this for me. There are likely a bunch of us in this situation, so I'm hoping my subject line is something folks will get hits on if they are looking for the same thing.

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:57 PM   #2
ranger danger

Re: Stereo recommendation - starting from scratch in 78 GMC K15

First off, you said you want to keep it simple. Stay away from Kenwood stereo's! They are the most complicated units on the market even though they work well (it takes me 20 min. to change the clock on mine!). Id be looking at a Pioneer for around $150 to $200 with an auxiliary input in the front, that way you can listen to stuff on your phone or other storage device (make sure its compatible with the opperating system on your phone, android, Iphone, etc). Pioneer's are also known for good radio reception. Thats a good thing in Texas! You don't really need an amp unless you like your tunes LOUD!! The deck power will work just fine. You can add an amp later if you decide you need one. Spend your extra money on good speakers. Look into some Polk Audio 6x9's. You wont break the bank and they will still sound nice. Finally, go to your local Best Buy or Stereo shop and let them install it for you. That way they can do the settings on the unit that most people don't know exist (speaker size, eq settings, Loud, etc) and couldn't set them right even if they did. Good luck and happy listening!!

Edit: If you have factory speaker openings in your dash, you could put some decent speakers in there as well.
US Navy 1979-1983 Gunners Mate Guns (GMG)
NRA Life Member

Unrestrained Children in back seats cause Accidents.
Unrestrained Accidents in back seats cause Children.
ranger danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
lsversaw

Rick, I agree with everything Ranger said, although I don't know as much about modern radios ("head units", to use the modern term). If you don't want to repair your dash, and are OK with a modern look, then you can't go wrong -- or do it any simpler -- with a modern head unit (with an auxiliary input) installed in the existing opening.

Sometimes the installation people at retail shops do a hack job in connecting to your original wiring, but your original radio wiring is pretty simple so I don't think you have to worry about that. If you can have the installation done before carpeting is installed, they'll have the best chance of a clean wiring job for the cab-corner speakers.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
rgunlock

Thanks for the responses ranger danger and iversaw! Good to know that I can keep it simple and likely be happy with it. My truck isn't running yet, so getting it to a stereo shop at this time would be a problem, but I'm in the middle of wiring and the interior is still bare, so seems like the best time to take care of the stereo, speaker wiring, etc. I'll likely go ahead and pick some good corner speakers at the very least and get them wired into the dash before putting down my carpet. I wasn't aware that car stereos had those settings - I'd assumed I would do my own installation.

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 11-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #5
ranger danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Thanks for the responses ranger danger and iversaw! Good to know that I can keep it simple and likely be happy with it. My truck isn't running yet, so getting it to a stereo shop at this time would be a problem, but I'm in the middle of wiring and the interior is still bare, so seems like the best time to take care of the stereo, speaker wiring, etc. I'll likely go ahead and pick some good corner speakers at the very least and get them wired into the dash before putting down my carpet. I wasn't aware that car stereos had those settings - I'd assumed I would do my own installation.
Its really pretty simple stuff. You will need 2 wires for each speaker, 1 + and 1 -. That's 4 wires for 2 or 8 wires for 4 speakers. Be sure to maintain + and - on your speakers. Keep them color coded so when you do the radio install, you'll know which is which easily. Then you will need 1 ground, 1 illumination (orange), 1 constant power (yellow) and 1 keyed power (red).

NRA Life Member

Old 11-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #6
ranger danger

If you decide to run an amp from the beginning, the wiring changes some. You need to run RCA cables from the head unit (radio) to the amp along with the remote turn on wire. You will also need a properly sized power and ground wire direct from the battery to the amp. Then you run the speaker wires from the speakers to the amp instead of to the radio. This diagram is for a 2 amp install with a sub woofer. You can install one or just disregard the second amp.

NRA Life Member

Old 11-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
Greenlee

Rick,
We need to get together so you can hear my system. I don't remember all the specs off the top of my head, but basically I bought a cheap Alpine stereo that doesn't have a CD player but it has blue tooth and an iPod hookup. Alpine makes a cheap 4 channel amp that easily plugs into their stereos. I think the stereo and amp together were about $300. I have the same 6x9 brackets you have. I bought some pioneer 6x9's and 3-1/2 inch speakers for the dash.

At this point it sounded mediocre, but then a guy at work gave me a 10 inch subwoofer in a matching box that fits behind the seat. I bought another amp to push the subwoofer and mounted it behind the seat. Now the system sounds amazing! My wife has a 2014 Cadillac with a pretty nice stereo system, but the stereo in my old truck blows it away!
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
Greenlee

I found a link to the stereo and amp I used. Actually, I think this is a newer version of the stereo.

There's no reason you can't install it yourself. With all the work you have already done, this will be easy. It's way easier to install than the Vintage Air.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500KTP4....html?tp=35782

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500UTE5...T.html?tp=5684

That stereo also has hands free for your phone. I bought the little microphone that plugs in the back and ran it up the door pillar and mounted it by the visor. It works ok at slow speeds, but people say they can't hear me when I use it on the freeway. I think it's more an issue with the truck being too loud, than a problem with the stereo. It might work better if I mounted the microphone somewhere else.

I will have to look at the amp I used for the sub. I think it's similar to this one. I probably wouldn't have used a sub if a friend hadn't given me one, but it really took the sound of the stereo system to a different level. They also make some pretty cool powered subs that you could fit under the seat. You could save some cost and room going that route.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_206DXA5....html?tp=35834

Powered sub:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KSCS...11.html?tp=114

Last edited by Greenlee; 11-21-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
rgunlock

Thanks for the wiring diagrams ranger danger - those will come in handy.

Appreciate you taking the time to post these links Greenlee. Yes, I wasn't too worried about doing the install, its just picking out components that will work together well without going overboard on spending, or spending now on components I'll regret my choice on later.

BTW, all I've done with the VA system so far is hang the box under the dash - still have all the wiring, ductwork, hoses, etc. remaining that I could screw up I'd love to meet up with you some time. I'll PM you to see what we can work out.

I do have another question about selecting speakers. If I choose say a speaker rated for 100 watts, do I need to provide a big chunk of that power from stereo and/or amps to get good sound, or just to get loud sound? Since I want to get the speakers wired in early, I think I'd rather get a bit more than I think I need - just in case.

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 11-27-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Stereo recommendation - starting from scratch in 78 GMC K15

I have installed this same unit in both my 56 Bel Air and 64 SS Impala. I love the way it works and it's down right simple to operate it. Even the Bluetooth is a couple of buttons and your done.
What I like about this unit the most is once you pair it up to the I phone you never have to touch it. It will turn your music on automatic when you turn the radio on. I can't say enough about it.
I also went with Alpine 6x9 speakers 'SPS' 619's sound great.
You can add a amp at a later date if need be very simple RCA jacks + sub RCA jack.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
rgunlock

Thanks Andy, that's 2 recommendations for Alpine. Looks like the only difference between this CDE-153BT and the UTE-52BT that Greenlee suggested is in the iPod/iPhone compatibility. The UTE-52BT looks like it supports newer generations and dropped the oldest.

2001 GMC Sierra K2500
Old 11-27-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Stereo recommendation - starting from scratch in 78 GMC K15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgunlock View Post
Thanks Andy, that's 2 recommendations for Alpine. Looks like the only difference between this CDE-153BT and the UTE-52BT that Greenlee suggested is in the iPod/iPhone compatibility. The UTE-52BT looks like it supports newer generations and dropped the oldest.
I don't know much about I pod's I've never had one but I know it has the capability for it. X-M radio and Pandora also.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote