The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical > Truck Audio

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-19-2016, 03:52 PM   #1
nastety92

67 Suburban Planning a new System.

Good afternoon all,

I just recently picked up at 1967 GMC Suburban. This is going to be a project that I plan on working on for at least the next few years if not more. Right now I'm putting together parts to put in a 5.3L GM motor from a 04 Suburban.

Anyway, I'm looking for help trying to put together an audio system around a few components that I have left over from a few previous builds that I had done a number of years ago now.

I have two Alpine MRD-F752's, one is brand new in the box and the other was used in my old 92 Blazer. I'd like to keep these amps and then purchase, subs, front speakers and a head unit that will all work with the amps. I also have a set of older BA 6.5" separates that I plan on using for rear fill.

First, thing first, I'm working on a strict budget here. I won't be able to go with high end components, so the cheaper the better really. I will be doing all of the work myself with the help of a few friends.

I'm looking for three way components for the front stage. I'm only going to run the two 6.5" BA separates in the rear for just a little rear fill but most of the music will be coming from the front. I use to have a BA pro 6"-4"-1" tweeter separates, I would like something else newer that is similar to this setup.

For a headunit, I would like to stay with something simple that will play CD's and can hook up to my Iphone. Ideally I would like for the whole head unit to stay hidden. Or I could use a unit that goes in the stock location without cutting the dash. This truck has an older style AM radio with the two knobs on it now.

For Subs, I'm kind of up in the air here. I have PLENTY of room in this vehicle. I would like to run two or four subs, either 10" or 12" each. Here are the specs for the two amps that I currently have.
5 Channel class T Amplifier
RMS power Channels 1-4 at 12V, 20Hz ∼ 20kHz:
4 x 75W @ 4 ohms (0.08% THD)
4 x 100W @ 2 ohms (0.3% THD)
2 x 200W @ 4 ohms bridge (0.3% THD)
RMS power Channel 5 at 12V, 20Hz ∼ 20kHz:
1 x 250W @ 4 ohms (12V - 0.3% THD)
Freq. Response: 20Hz ∼ 20kHz (+0,-1dB)
S/N Ratio: 100dBA (at rated power)
Fuse: 80A
Dimensions: 17.9" x 10.2" x 2.4" (46cm x 26cm x 6cm)
Weight: 18.5 lb. (8.4 kg.)

So, what would you suggest for subs, front stage and a head unit?

Thanks for the help,
Nick
nastety92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
lsversaw

Re: 67 Suburban Planning a new System.

Sounds like a fun project. A Suburban offers way more audio options than a truck.

One of the options you have for a head unit is to modify your existing AM radio to add FM stereo, an iphone input, and pre-outs. It would cost you around $350. The advantages are original appearance (if that's important to you), no cutting the dash, and no need to hide the head unit. One disadvantage is that to play CD's you'd have to use an external player. Another disadvantage may be cost; you can probably buy a head unit with CD player and pre-outs for under $100. But you get what you pay for.

If you're interested in a conversion, send me a private message and I'll provide more details.
lsversaw is offline   Reply With Quote