The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2021, 12:02 PM   #1
eric8

Non A/C heater core replacement

Hey guys, I've got a 77 C10 that's a heater only factory truck (non air conditioned). Noticed a wet passenger side floormat and the dreaded smell of coolant today. All the how to videos make this out to be a 4-5 hour job, but all the onces I've seen have been on air conditioned cabs. Has anyone done a heater core on a heat only truck? Any big differences? I'm hoping it's much easier.
eric8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
truckin 79

Re: Non A/C heater core replacement

It is pretty simple job, I did this on my 79 no problem. If you get a heater core from one of the local parts stores it will probably be aluminum and not brass. The bolts that hold the box to the inside to heater box might break. I had two if these bolts break and did not ever find a replacement for them. One bolt I was able to make work and then I had to go to junkyard to get another one. Other then that it was pretty straight forward. Since you are there might as well replace hoses and thermostat. Good luck
Old 02-10-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

its not the worst job ive ever done but you will have to get under the dash

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 04:09 PM   #4
eric8

Ok thanks guys. Probably should go ahead and yank out the seat to make it easier huh?
Old 02-10-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
Dead Parrot

I have done both. A 75 with AC and an 84 CUCV with heat only. In neither case did I pull the seats. Do your best to clean the threads on the through the firewall bolts. As mentioned above, the bolts are hard to find as they have a clip instead of a normal bolt head. If the threads bind, you can snap the bolt or break off the piece of plastic the clip snaps over.

Do plan on removing the glove box.

Wait until you have the old core in hand before picking up a new one. Some of the suggested replacements are only sort of close to the size of the old one. Being able to compare old vs new is good.

The 75 with AC had a bolt with the nut on the passenger side unlike the other three. The 84 bolts all had the nut on the engine side. The odd 75 bolt was black on black and hard to spot.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 07:31 PM   #6
eric8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
I have done both. A 75 with AC and an 84 CUCV with heat only. In neither case did I pull the seats. Do your best to clean the threads on the through the firewall bolts. As mentioned above, the bolts are hard to find as they have a clip instead of a normal bolt head. If the threads bind, you can snap the bolt or break off the piece of plastic the clip snaps over.

Do plan on removing the glove box.

Wait until you have the old core in hand before picking up a new one. Some of the suggested replacements are only sort of close to the size of the old one. Being able to compare old vs new is good.

The 75 with AC had a bolt with the nut on the passenger side unlike the other three. The 84 bolts all had the nut on the engine side. The odd 75 bolt was black on black and hard to spot.
Thanks for the great tips. I like to start a job with as much good info as possible to save on the headache later!