The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2023, 11:36 PM   #1
truckster

XTool D8 Bluetooth Scanner

I have quite a few vehicles that I take care of, including half a dozen of my own and a dozen or so of my children's vehicles. I got tired of the limited functions on my existing code reader, so I did some research and ended up buying an XTool D8 bluetooth scanner. It has a full diagnostic menu with topology and graphing, full bidirectional control, and a whole bunch of special functions, including programming keys.

I've had a few occasions to use it, and I have to say it's both powerful and user-friendly. It programmed a key for my wife's Highlander hybrid with keyless start in about a minute. It ran a full diagnostic on my son's 2018 Silverado in just a couple of minutes and gave me a full report including systems I didn't even know were on the vehicle (human interface module, who knew?).

If you need a powerful scanner that includes bidirectional control, this might be the one for you.
Old 08-05-2023, 04:08 AM   #2
Richard

Re: XTool D8 Bluetooth Scanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
I have quite a few vehicles that I take care of, including half a dozen of my own and a dozen or so of my children's vehicles. I got tired of the limited functions on my existing code reader, so I did some research and ended up buying an XTool D8 bluetooth scanner. It has a full diagnostic menu with topology and graphing, full bidirectional control, and a whole bunch of special functions, including programming keys.

I've had a few occasions to use it, and I have to say it's both powerful and user-friendly. It programmed a key for my wife's Highlander hybrid with keyless start in about a minute. It ran a full diagnostic on my son's 2018 Silverado in just a couple of minutes and gave me a full report including systems I didn't even know were on the vehicle (human interface module, who knew?).

If you need a powerful scanner that includes bidirectional control, this might be the one for you.
Thanks for this post. Have been looking for a powerful new reader that is not pc based like the one I have now. Purchased the D9 pro unit and it read our 2020 Blazer fine. Displayed the GM specific codes on the camera system that the dealer has not taken care of (have had frequent failures). Will be able to use at work and earn more for diagnosis, could have used on an Audi we had in a while back. Should work on the 2013 LSA power train in my 72. Might work on my 2000 truck as well. Did you need an accessory to program the key?
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
truckster

Re: XTool D8 Bluetooth Scanner

Apparently you need an accessory for some keys but I didn't for the Toyota. I'm doing a Lexus today and I expect it will work the same.

It will work fine on your 2000 truck, but there's less functionality. The earlier OBDII systems didn't offer a lot of bidirectional support. You should still be able to activate components to test them, see live data, etc.

Last edited by truckster; 08-05-2023 at 03:03 PM.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote