The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-14-2023, 06:00 AM   #326
gsinon

Re: Long Time Coming......

Still plugging away on the bed. I took the gate off and did the final wleding of the framing panels and then ground the welds.

I then moved to the rolled pan. I reinstalled it and once again verified that I hate the fit where it meets the bottom of the tailgate. For one the gap is far too big for my liking, and for two you can see the gap isn't even as there appeares to be some warpage or something going on with the rolled pan.

So I cut just below the bend on the pan from side to side separating it. I then reattched the upper flange piece where I thought it should be, which is about a half inch higher then before. I then installed the rolled pan and now it is time to make a filler panel to fill the exposed gap.

More to come this weekend.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 10:50 PM   #327
lv2tri2

I just found your truck and will follow along the rest of the way.
lv2tri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 05:41 AM   #328
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2tri2 View Post
I just found your truck and will follow along the rest of the way.
Welcome to my madness! Thanks for following!
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 11-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #329
LT7A

Read through your thread today. First off, I have much respect for your relationship/friendship with your dad. You guys were so smart to build those projects and build that connection with each other. I'm very sorry for you that he is now gone. I'm glad for us that you are carrying on with this project. I'm enjoying your creativity and I like watching your attention to detail.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 02:37 PM   #330
-Dan-

Merry Christmas! I hope that you continue your thread. Very much looking forward to seeing it thru to the end.
-Dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2024, 08:07 PM   #331
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Read through your thread today. First off, I have much respect for your relationship/friendship with your dad. You guys were so smart to build those projects and build that connection with each other. I'm very sorry for you that he is now gone. I'm glad for us that you are carrying on with this project. I'm enjoying your creativity and I like watching your attention to detail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
Merry Christmas! I hope that you continue your thread. Very much looking forward to seeing it thru to the end.
Thank you both for the comments. I can't believe how long it has been since my last post. In truth I have had to put the truck on a backburner while helping my wife deal with her parents. Both in their mid 80's and having health issues we are working hard at getting them settled into an assisted living facility, and a few hospital stays for my mother in law. Its been a tough couple months for me, but more so my bride. Dealing with one parent would be tough, two at once with different issues has become her full time job.

There have been some changes and things going on though. I made a rotisserie out of two engine stands and some rectangular steel tubing. Now I can finish welding, body work and paint the bed with ease. Yes, I welded the bed parts into one piece. Minus the still removable tailgate.

The next step for the bed is to bring it to school. There I will have my students sand it all down and spray a couple coats of epoxy on it.

I also notice it looks like a bomb went off in the shop. I have a major clean up to do soon.

This may be off topic, I hope admins don't mind me sharing......

I also purchased a commercial condominium. I don't know if you have something like this in your area, but here in CT they are somewhat common. There are three long buildings with individual garage units. Each unit has a walk in door as well as a tall commercial height overhead door. Some units are bigger, some smaller. This one is 20'x55' with 20' ceilings. It has heat and full power. There is also a common area for meetings, a bathroom and such.

I now have things moved in, my 55 Belair, my squarebody and for now my father in laws 37 Ford. This shop will be for "clean" work. Unlike my backyard show which is for fabrication/bodywork. This new place is for storage, cleaning, wiring, and assembly of any project vehicles. It has a commercial grade Rotory 4 post lift rated for 14k pounds.

And while decorating I hung some awards that I've won and a door for a 66 Chevelle that I did up as a tribute to my dads old drag car from when I was little. The pictures are all of cars I've painted. Some mine or dads and others of friends. Still need to hang about 15 more pictures.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 01-31-2024, 10:53 AM   #332
Rickysnickers

Moderator approved
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:46 AM   #333
dsraven

pretty clean place you have there. nice.
be careful with the engine stand rotisserie as it has a narrower footprint than the box does so if the students are like most students and get goofing around the box could end up tipping over. maybe the welding class could extend the bases a little or slip some tubing inside the current legs to extend them as a safety measure.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 05:03 PM   #334
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
pretty clean place you have there. nice.
be careful with the engine stand rotisserie as it has a narrower footprint than the box does so if the students are like most students and get goofing around the box could end up tipping over. maybe the welding class could extend the bases a little or slip some tubing inside the current legs to extend them as a safety measure.
Appreciate the comment and looking out. I had already made some outriggers for stability. Just didn't take pics with them in place.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 03-04-2024, 05:38 PM   #335
gsinon

Once again been far too long. Some family issues going on that has been getting in the way. Besides the rotisserie, I have not touched the truck since November 4th. That is so out of character for me it's crazy.

But things look to have settled down now. It's time to get back at it. This past Saturday, I walked into a mess and couldn't do anything until a good cleaning process took place. Four hours later almost all of the tools are put away and I can now walk around without walking down paths. Boy, does this feel good. While at it, I repositioned the truck so it is now sideways in the shop, and I have complete 360* access around it. With the addition of my new shop I no longer need to be able to put another vehicle in here too. This space can be dedicated to just the one project.

Oh, and my new license plates showed up. People who follow me on social media know I call the truck Area51. I found out the plate was available through Connecticut DMV so I ordered them.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 04-20-2024, 10:35 AM   #336
Modsqaud69

Glen I see you haven't posted in a while, hope things are going well for you. Rob
Modsqaud69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 04:27 PM   #337
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modsqaud69 View Post
Glen I see you haven't posted in a while, hope things are going well for you. Rob
I appreciate you asking, Thanks.

Life has gotten crazy lately, and the 51 has been put on the back burner for a few months now.

In October, my mother in law (MIL) fell and broke her hip at 85 years old. This led to surgery and rehab. My FIL (87) has been having some cognitive issues and we have been helping him navigate while MIL was in and out of the hospital. She got home and situated, only to fall again right after the first of the year and broke 7 ribs! More hospitals and skilled nursing care. In the meantime, we moved them into an assisted living facility in town as they decided they could no longer live at their home and needed more assistance. I have been helping, but my wife has been almost single-handedly emptying their house to put it on the market. Hopefully, that will happen in the next few weeks.

Also, I have a friend who retired to Port Orange, Florida, who now has dementia. His daughter, who is nearly my age and lives near me, moved him back to CT. So, during my spring break vacation, I flew down to his house and spent two days getting his three hot rods back together and running. I had painted his 1929 Model A pick up and his 1932 Ford hiboy roadster, plus he also has a 1935 Ford sedan. Once all were drivable, a few other hot rod friends and I loaded everything into two trucks and trailers, and drove it all back to CT.

The last several months have been exhausting, and I hope the dust will settle soon so I can resume the previously scheduled programming.

I miss my shop time working on the truck and really expected to be a lot further along then I am now. I'll be back on it soon I hope!
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 04-20-2024, 11:29 PM   #338
Modsqaud69

I understand all of to well about the in law situation. Mine lived with us for about 5 years. With her issues it was like have a full grown 3 year old and it finally got to be too much for us and we had to move her to a facility. Good luck to you and your family. Will be looking forward to your return to your project. Rob
Modsqaud69 is offline   Reply With Quote